N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 135i 6MT
Default 2ABC/3100 N20 TMAP - 04-27-2017, 07:19 PM

UPDATE: This issue has been resolved by slightly modifying map conversion on the BEF.

Hey guys, I think I may have found a weird glitch.

Did my N20 TMAP last sunday with a new OE TMAP and BMS adapter. All went well, and I can hit higher numbers now. Set N20 TMAP to 1, left my BEF as is for stock TMAP, and all that.

I caught a 2ABC/3100 code (no CEL however, except for once over the weekend) checking codes one day, and it turns out they had been around for a while.

Cleaned my pins, checked resistance across the adapter while flexing it to hunt for an intermittent open/bad contact, and cleaned TMAP. Still would come now and again. Also wiggle tested while connected with engine running, to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have a source of a spare TMAP to test with.

So I did a little testing, and found that if I clear the code, and only ever scan with IGN on or engine running, it never appears. But if I attempt a scan with IGN off, then scan with IGN on, bam, there it is!

My only thought here is that the DME is attempting to use the sensor as a BARO with IGN off, and the reading seems implausible, hence setting a code.

It has had zero impact on my running, and I never actually experience limp, so it's a bit odd! Mostly just annoying that now and again I end up with that code!

Anyone else have similar?

Former BMW Mechanic - Current Ford Mechanic
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT
JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning **'s - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Meth 70/30 - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Fuel-It stage 2 - MFactory SMFW & 550 clutch - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE

Last edited by 3SPKY5U; 05-28-2017 at 01:54 PM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-27-2017, 09:25 PM

If you switch back to the stock TMAP does the issue go away? If so, most likely a TMAP or adapter issue. Verify continuity are resistance of the adapter?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
If you switch back to the stock TMAP does the issue go away? If so, most likely a TMAP or adapter issue. Verify continuity are resistance of the adapter?

Yes. Yes there's continuity. I've tested the adapter like I would any other circuit I've encountered. Short of loading it with a battery and using a test light to see how it handles current, I would say the adapter is fine.

It's also literally brand new. Unless this is BMS admitting some serious quality control issues.

There's also zero effect on vehicle operation.

JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning **'s - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Meth 70/30 - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Fuel-It stage 2 - MFactory SMFW & 550 clutch - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Well, if you tested continuity and there weren't any issues, then it doesn't really sound like a quality control issue.

Sorry, but we see it all. Have you tried re-flashing? Not really sure what it could be unless you have a flaky N20 sensor but given you are able to repeat it with a specific scenerio, kind of hard to say what he cause is. I'd try re-flashing though.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-30-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Well, if you tested continuity and there weren't any issues, then it doesn't really sound like a quality control issue.

Sorry, but we see it all. Have you tried re-flashing? Not really sure what it could be unless you have a flaky N20 sensor but given you are able to repeat it with a specific scenerio, kind of hard to say what he cause is. I'd try re-flashing though.
Have tried reflashing as well as resetting adapts.

I'll try cleaning out the main DME connectors later, I've heard that solved it for a few people. Maybe a touch of corrosion on the TMAP signal pins?

(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Possible but reseating them a few times should resolve that.

(#7)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 04-30-2017, 03:01 PM

Steve - I have a 4 bar TMAP sensor I got from BMS. I've noticed a few things about it.

1. On long drives, about 2 hours into it on the highway, the car kept on getting jerky while not boosting. Then when I would give it gas the car would cut out/show no boost. Once I restarted the car, it drove fine. Got a 2ABC code as well.

2. On short drives, I would notice a delay/hesitation at low rpm while the car builds boost. This would happen rarely, but it jerks the car a bit. I never got a code when this happened. A good amount of preventative maintenance is done on the car and I wasn't misfiring. Happened with E85/without.

Still can't manage to get a log of it. Happens are various times/ I just use the auto log feature on the JB4.
I get the 4 bar TMAP is still kind of experimental, just curious if you might know any fixes or changes I could do (besides going stock) that could help this.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-01-2017, 08:33 PM

As a test, I'd go back to the stock sensor and see if it resolves your issues. If so, you might want to consider going to a 3.5 bar tmap and see how that does.

(#9)
Old

Default 05-01-2017, 10:53 PM

I will give the stock sensor a shot... just gotta find it.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Keep us posted

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#11)
Old

Default 05-03-2017, 07:16 PM

Still occurring on mine. Huh. Don't really feel like buying another TMAP to test... Irritating.

(#12)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 06:38 AM

I have another 4.0 TMAP I'll test, as well as the stock one. I will try them this weekend and see how it goes.

(#13)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Borrowed a sensor from an old co-worker at a dealership, still happening. Sent BMS an email to get a new harness. Ugh.

(#14)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Did you check the resistance on the harness? I'm not sure how the harness could fail unless there are loose/rusted pins.

(#15)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 02:42 PM

See my first post.

(#16)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM

BMS has a new harness on the way to me. Awesome. Will be happy when this is all sorted.

(#17)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Keep us posted
Dave - I switched to stock TMAP, haven't had the issue yet.. I put in the 4.0 TMAP and haven't had the issue yet again, but haven't been able to drive my car enough to test due to being busy.
I have a question tho, in the 'user adjustment' tab on the BMS app, are adjustments made to duty bias and AFR bias in effect when in maps 5 and 7, or are they only in effect for map 6?
I also changed my default waste gate position to 100 instead of the 80 it was originally at, I'm not sure if this change could have made a difference, but the car didn't have the issue yet.

(#18)
Old

Default 05-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Update:

Replaced the sensor and the harness. Still occurring. At this point it has to be software related. Very frustrating.

(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-24-2017, 04:35 PM

Wish we had more ideas for you. I was hoping you'd get the same fautls on the factory sensor so we'd know the JB4 board was the culprit as that is the last thing I can think of. But, that doesn't seem to be the case. You could replace the board anyway as it's relatively inexpensive, or borrow someones to test that. Beyond that it must be something on the DME side.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#20)
Old

Default 05-28-2017, 01:53 PM

UPDATE!

Terry has fixed the issue by changing the map scaling in my BEF.

I will attach a copy of the fixed BEF, should anyone need it.

https://ufile.io/9cbnh

(#21)
Old

Car: 2009 E92 335i DCT
Default 05-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U
UPDATE!

Terry has fixed the issue by changing the map scaling in my BEF.

I will attach a copy of the fixed BEF, should anyone need it.

https://ufile.io/9cbnh
Hi, thread revival i know, but any chance anyone has the fixed BEF? or if Terry can maybe correct the latest 02/07/19 Pump BEF release for the N20 Sensor?
Im having the very same issue as the OP
(#22)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 05-29-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General.Massacre
Hi, thread revival i know, but any chance anyone has the fixed BEF? or if Terry can maybe correct the latest 02/07/19 Pump BEF release for the N20 Sensor?
Im having the very same issue as the OP
Same issue here on the sensor, both on stock and N20 which randomly trigger at startup and once power off and on and clear the fault it runs smooth, I lost hope and I learned to live with that power on and off and clear fault whenever happen,

I'm sure its tune flash related or JB4 firmware, but I'm not expert to try to adjust flash tables for the voltage,

I'm on sea level and running latest firmware and latest bms race

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle