N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 335i M-Sport
Default Single turbo boost control issue - 06-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Hey guys. Iíve recently developed a boost issue that i canít figure out.

Last week i autocrossed my car, ran it on map 1 (17psi) and afterwards when i changes to a different map my car hasnít been able to get past 16-17psi. My wastegate pressure is 17psi so it led me to believe thereís something wrong with either the jb4 or my Mac solenoid.

I did a smoke test to check for boost leaks and it was all good. The Mac solenoid also clicks when i put 12v to it.

I also checked the voltage on each solenoid plug, both read 12v dc. I saw a video Bms put on their YouTube channel and their solenoid plugs read 6 and 12v. The voltage also drops on one side to 0 at wot.

Iíve been running this setup with no issues for almost 10k miles so Iím not sure what the problem is.

Any input would be appreciated!
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Who knows on those. There isn't a set way to diagnose issues with boost not building over WG spring. Normally the solenoid isn't getting power though. Normally if solenoid clicks at part throttle ign on, engine off, then the solenoid, JB4, and related electrical are all working. You may have to set DWP = 0 to do that test though, haven't done it in awhile with the current firmware.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 04:01 PM

I have done the part throttle test, i can hear the clicking at half throttle.

I ordered a new jb4 from BMS to see if thatíll help, i doubt it will but Iím at a loss here, i have no idea whatís going on
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-02-2018, 04:08 PM

I'd try a new solenoid, first. On the JB4 end if something failed you'd just need the control board not a new harness. The boards are $175.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I'd try a new solenoid, first. On the JB4 end if something failed you'd just need the control board not a new harness. The boards are $175.
Okay Iíll try a new solenoid as well. If both donít work Iíll start taking stuff apart
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztuck45
Okay Iíll try a new solenoid as well. If both donít work Iíll start taking stuff apart
New Mac should be about $50 bucks off bms site

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_JB4_upgrades.html

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#7)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
New Mac should be about $50 bucks off bms site

http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_JB4_upgrades.html
Already ordered thanks!
(#8)
Old

Default Update - 07-13-2018, 02:25 PM

I replaced the jb4 board and Mac solenoid, no change.

I can hear the gates open if i put compressed air to them.

Both solenoid plugs read 12v on each side. Is this normal? In a old bms video on YouTube they measured 12v/6v on each side (see pictures)
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 e92 335i
Default 06-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztuck45
I replaced the jb4 board and Mac solenoid, no change.

I can hear the gates open if i put compressed air to them.

Both solenoid plugs read 12v on each side. Is this normal? In a old bms video on YouTube they measured 12v/6v on each side (see pictures)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you fix this, I also put in a new solenoid, new jb4 board, and I still get 12v on both wires controlling the mac solenoid. Not going past spring pressure also tested the mac solenoid with a battery and it clicks. Any help is appreciated
(#10)
Old

Default 06-23-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikhael619
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you fix this, I also put in a new solenoid, new jb4 board, and I still get 12v on both wires controlling the mac solenoid. Not going past spring pressure also tested the mac solenoid with a battery and it clicks. Any help is appreciated
Yes i did! It turned out the top wastegate fitting loosened up causing it to not go over spring pressure. I put locktite on the fitting and tightened it back up and itís been fine since.