N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default New stock turbo dyno record, 4/25/13 - 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Hey guys,

Had a chance to get our E92 manual back to the dyno today. We've recently replaced the clutch and added a meth kit.

Full mod listing:

JB4 G5 ISO
BMS back end flash -- "race" file
BMS *********
CPE intercooler
CPE chargepipe w/ tial valve
BMS DCI
BMS OCC
Spec clutch w/ steel single mass flywheel
BMS 2.2g meth kit w/ 80% ethanol / 20% water, CM12 nozzle
E40 fuel (40% E98, 60% pump 91 octane)
"Option2" inline booster pump

I'll post the log later but peak boost was ~20.5psi and we're running around 13 degrees peak advance on it. Overall car performed very well and we were happy to raise the bar on stock turbo performance a bit.

Attached is the dyno sheet and a photo of the car & Jon working the dyno software.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: AW 1M
Default 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Woah....nice job!

'16 LBB M2 in production
'11 BMW 1M sold
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Tuning Obsessed Central Oregon Engineer

08 E82 N54 (bimmerboost flash tuned by me)
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM

That's awesome, is that just map3 or 6?
(#5)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM

is the inline pump necessary? Or was it just added for the headroom? I am concidering it but havent decided yet. I normally run 93 but would love to do a 50/50 e85 fill sometimes.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM

We used to run the car on E50 only and the pump was needed. But for a meth setup most likely isn't required. The car has a 3.5 bar map sensor and we're basically running map 3 w/ a 85 additive. Not for the faint of heart but makes for a fun dyno day.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM

You're just trying to break the fans so you have a legit reason to strap stage 3's on and get some fancy numbers with less parasitic loss than the slushbox, admit it! Sneaky sneaky breaking some records on the way lol. Nice looking wheels btw.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Wow...Crazy...so how does 21psi on stock turbos compare to 21psi on RBs?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM

Added the 461rw log to the first post. Looks like boost was 1/2psi less than I thought. Was just going by gauge in car as we did the runs.

This boost curve on RBs would be worth ~50rw more all else being equal. And the RBs would hold that much better at higher RPM.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Lol so I hop you can do this with rb but another 70 whp??

JB4 G5, DCI, **, IC, Del Cats, Walbro LPFP, Meth
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertc
Lol so I hop you can do this with rb but another 70 whp??
With a similar advance curve and similar peak boost with RB turbos, we've done 520rw.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM

Afr looking great on that dyno, I would like to see this or even better with 100% e85, there is someone experimenting with the fuel rail in another post, I was running full e85 but went back to 50% cuz of misfires. Also with 100% e85 my clutch was slipping badly, probably making a lot more torque....

JB4 G5, DCI, **, IC, Del Cats, Walbro LPFP, Meth
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Nice....very, very consistant.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#14)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM

The N54 never ceases to amaze me! Great job Terry.

It would be cool to see those comparisons overlaid, anyone capable of doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
With a similar advance curve and similar peak boost with RB turbos, we've done 520rw.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#15)
Old

Car: e92 335i Coupe
Default 04-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Terry, why does Johns car make 30 more tq than me?

JB+RB=
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferTransport
Terry, why does Johns car make 30 more tq than me?
Not sure, I'd have to overlay your logs to see. But on the RBs we've never gotten overly greedy with low end boost as they just burn up those ATs anyway.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The N54 never ceases to amaze me! Great job Terry.

It would be cool to see those comparisons overlaid, anyone capable of doing that?
Sure, here is a dyno from sranch335's RB turbos. MT with same mods basically. How does ~100rw at higher RPM sound?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM

Wow. That's amazing!! Thanks much. Hey do you mind if I post this over on E90?

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#19)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Just out of curiosity, you got those numbers with stock exhaust? Stock midpipes? Do you think you could see a few more whp with out those cats and maybe a further single digit increase from exhaust?

Awesome.

BSM 1M, BMS MHD w JB4, Pure Stg 2 DD, FBO, Motion Control Suspension, Stoptechs, big sticky tires, lost control at some point.. M6GC 6MT w JB
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Dang...that really demonstrates how quickly us stockers run out of steam. That increasing HP delta from 5k to 6.5k hurts!

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Sure rob post away!

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We used to run the car on E50 only and the pump was needed. But for a meth setup most likely isn't required. The car has a 3.5 bar map sensor and we're basically running map 3 w/ a 85 additive. Not for the faint of heart but makes for a fun dyno day.
I run a 80-85 daily. Noticed you used a CM12 nozzle....do you prefer this to the the CM14...would you use a CM12 on a RB powered car also? Just curious.

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#23)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM

Amazing Terry, honestly is.....this is why I trust and will always use a BMS product!

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#24)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 4dr auto
Default 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Do you really mean 80% Ethanol / 20% water? Or did you mean 80% Methanol? Just trying to see if your spraying meth or ethanol.
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM

We use ethanol in the meth tank. E98 to be exact. Normally straight, but we had a bit of water in there from installing the kit / testing for leaks. I prefer ethanol because it's not as toxic and is almost the same octane level. It's also easier for us to obtain as we keep 55 gallon drums at the office.

Burger Motorsports