N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Bmw e90 335xi
Lightbulb Check what chip I have - 07-26-2020, 04:56 AM

Hi! So I bought a E90 335xi a couple months ago at a car dealership. They said that the previous owner had chip tuned it to roughly 400 hp and now, fast forwadd a couple of months, I have now opened my eyes to the enourmous ammount of chips and various software availible to this car and jas now gotten curious as to what chip I have in my car. How do I check this?

Thanks in advance!
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 08-06-2020, 07:46 AM

Welcome.

As you stated, there are a variety of options, from DME tunes to piggy back style. (some visual, some not)

As you got this at the dealer, and they were aware of what the previous owner did, that is likely the easiest starting place. (is your car still tuned to 400~ hp, or was it 'normalized' before sale from the dealer?)

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#3)
Old

Car: Bmw e90 335xi
Default 08-06-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Welcome.

As you stated, there are a variety of options, from DME tunes to piggy back style. (some visual, some not)

As you got this at the dealer, and they were aware of what the previous owner did, that is likely the easiest starting place. (is your car still tuned to 400~ hp, or was it 'normalized' before sale from the dealer?)
As I understood it, it’s still ~400 hp. The question became more relevant as I discovered JB4 and MHD and it said that they recommended better piping for the higher HP variants. If my chip has 400 hp without changing piping (as far as I know) I might be in trouble or have gotten a “shortcut”(?)

The deaker said they didn’t know what the chip was.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 08-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurre116
As I understood it, it’s still ~400 hp. The question became more relevant as I discovered JB4 and MHD and it said that they recommended better piping for the higher HP variants. If my chip has 400 hp without changing piping (as far as I know) I might be in trouble or have gotten a “shortcut”(?)

The deaker said they didn’t know what the chip was.

Hey Snurre116,

Yes, if you increase power on a stock exhaust, there is more back pressure which results in higher temps and harder working turbos - and neither are desired.

It's a linear subject, but as you mentioned, there are guide lines for longevity of components.

Map 1 of either tune should be OK, but pushing past will increase the undesired aspects.

I'd look into determining what you have installed.
JB4: On Steering Wheel press Down on Volume and Channel, simultaneously. If your dash changes and needles move, you have JB4. (if it moves, select volume down once to exit - don't start changing values blindly - download the instructions from the stickies here) You can also open your DME box and see if one is installed (can google images, etc)
MHD: Tune on your DME (nothing physical to see). Need to use the MHD app. I'm not sure on best process here. I'd be googling. Likely download the bin/fw file and look for key markers in it, if the name is not obvious. As I said, I'd be digging up more details if I though it was an MHD map applied, but not sure which. In the end, you'll likely want MHD to you can flash your own choice, regardless of what is installed. It also lets you change settings. It can be used later for a BEF (Back End Flash) along with the JB4 if desired. That is quite a popular setup, but there are infinite variations and opinions, which change with intent.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator