N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E93 335i Coming Soon
Smile Buying 335i Soon - 01-10-2018, 02:03 AM

Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the forums and BMW's in general. My name is Kelvin and I have wanted an N54 BMW since I graduated highschool back in 2016. Two years later and i can finally start putting away enough money to buy one and will be buying a 2009-10 335i E93 and would love to get some insight as to what I should look for when buying one of these monsters. Specific things to check for or maybe ask for when searching around the dealers here in Florida. This will be the first car I will buy myself and I decided why not go big or go home right? Any information or welcome is appreciated.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM

If you are looking to make it fast...the e93 has a pretty sizable weight penalty (approximately 500lbs). On the plus side, when you put the top down, you'll get better traction due to all the weight being right over the rear tires.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 01-10-2018, 10:37 AM

I have a E93. Top down still wont help my traction , lol. But still, I love the car. Its EXTREMELY clean, looks like a E92 with top up except of course you can drop the top and enjoy. The weight difference doesnt bother me too much. Plenty quick with mods and I built it to enjoy it. Full on RACE car , I would not have gone E93.
(#4)
Old

Default 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Yea after weeks of research I understand the coupe will be faster but honestly I am buying it because i love the look and the idea of dropping the top when cruising. Also it will be plenty fast for the streets for the planned 500whp >. Question is how do i get one to 500whp and what is the maintenance like. Thanks for the replys btw!
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM

500whp + reliably will require:

Turbos
Stage 2 LPFP
FBO

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old
Legend

Default 01-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
500whp + reliably will require:

Turbos
Stage 2 LPFP
FBO
This and port injection and inlets is a good idea.
(#7)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM

PI will be required for 500+whp.

FBO = JB4, MHD back-end flash, FMIC, c-a-tless dawnpipes, DCI, inlets are optional

Before you mod though, I'd go through and do any scheduled or needed maintenance on the car first, depending on mileage: Motor mounts, valve cover, trans pan/filter, oil pan gasket, water pump, coolant reservoir, front/rear suspension bushings, shocks/struts, diff/PS/brake fluid, etc.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
This and port injection and inlets is a good idea.
Correct but it depends on what fuel he is using and how he is getting to 500whp. Only wanna make 500whp reliably? Then turbo upgrade, stage 2 and decent fuel are needed. Much beyond that or if you want to run E85, then PI, inlets, etc. are needed. 500 is s walk in the park for upgraded turbos. 500 on stock turbos...it's a dyno queen.

(#9)
Old
Legend

Default 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Correct but it depends on what fuel he is using and how he is getting to 500whp. Only wanna make 500whp reliably? Then turbo upgrade, stage 2 and decent fuel are needed. Much beyond that or if you want to run E85, then PI, inlets, etc. are needed. 500 is s walk in the park for upgraded turbos. 500 on stock turbos...it's a dyno queen.
👍👍👍👍👍
(#10)
Old

Default 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Appreciate the support so far guys! And I live in florida where we have 93 premium readily available so I don't plan to move to E85 immediately if ever. And is all that scheduled maintenance you mentioned @LessIsMore written in the car manual or should I start looking for that here on the forums. Also thanks for the brief explanation on FBO. I am knew to this car game but I love it. @Steve so 500whp is attainable reliably on the stock turbos? I know for a fact upgraged turbos can take the car far but they carry a pretty price tag as well! Also is DCI a HPFP upgrade because i can't seem to find one for this car?
(#11)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

I don't think any of that stuff is in the manual, lol. I'd look for DIY's here, on the Pelican Parts site, searching online, etc.

Steve can answer but he clearly said a 500 whp car on stock turbos is a dyno queen. stock turbos can't support 500 whp very long. For that power level, you'll want to start saving for upgraded turbos of some kind.

DCI = dual-cone intake, it's just two open air filters instead of the factory filter box. See BMS' site.

The only HPFP upgrade I have seen is the Vargas shotgun or double-barrel shotgun options.

(#12)
Old

Default 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM

@LessIsMore I see so from this point onward until I buy the car in may I will be researching all the maintenance for the car. Also after some thought and research on the hassle of twin turbos when I do chuck down the money for the upgrades I will be going the single turbo route. I know Steve already has a sticky thread on it and will be looking into that. Before any mods I'll be looking to have the car in great stock condition especially while i'm in warranty if these cars still even have warranty at this age LOL.
(#13)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Sounds like a plan.

You could get a extended/3rd-party warranty of course, but no way any e-series bmw is going to still be under BMW warranty, even extended/certified warranty, in mid-2018.

(#14)
Old

Default 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Now when buying this car what can I check for when test driving the car? I would pay for an inspection but... if i can do it myself all the better!
(#15)
Old

Default 01-13-2018, 10:42 AM

I'm gonna put this out there since I haven't seen anyone say it and you're young. Don't buy the car and immediately try to put down big power. I don't know your experience with cars, but seeing as you graduated high school less than 2 years ago I'm sure you have minimal experience on how to handle a high hp rwd car.

Take your time. Learn your car at its stock power thoroughly and slowly work your way up. I've seen too many people fresh out of hs/early 20s get lustful over monster cars and end up wrapping themselves around a tree. And these cars like to dance because they don't have a LSD and they're very torque happy when modded.
(#16)
Old

Default 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM

I appreciate the concern and yes if it is your first rodeo then I wouldn't go above the stock power of this car. Fortunately my father has always had a couple monsters in the driveway and has taught me a thing or two. Even learned how to drift in a 2014 328i.

But again I need advice on test drive inspection when i travel to these dealers.
(#17)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E93
Default 01-14-2018, 09:28 AM

These are expensive beasts to feed. You should literally have a few thousand in the bank ready to throw at the car, just to make it run optimally at FBO.
When test driving, turn off DSC completely, launch on a dry road and go to redline through 3rd. If it's smooth, doesn't misfire and doesn't throw any errors, it's a good start. A stock 335i doesn't have enough power to spin tires, so don't worry.
I highly recommend a PPI with an Indy who has BMW-specific scanning tools like ICOM, ISTA, NCSExpert, etc. A generic scanner won't catch many potentially expensive problems.
The above is only a start. Many fueling and ignition issues can only be seen in datalogs or certain driving conditions.
Don't get fooled by the low price of the car. It's cheap to buy because it's so damn expensive to upkeep.
(#18)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 01-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown
These are expensive beasts to feed. You should literally have a few thousand in the bank ready to throw at the car, just to make it run optimally at FBO.
When test driving, turn off DSC completely, launch on a dry road and go to redline through 3rd. If it's smooth, doesn't misfire and doesn't throw any errors, it's a good start. A stock 335i doesn't have enough power to spin tires, so don't worry.
I highly recommend a PPI with an Indy who has BMW-specific scanning tools like ICOM, ISTA, NCSExpert, etc. A generic scanner won't catch many potentially expensive problems.
The above is only a start. Many fueling and ignition issues can only be seen in datalogs or certain driving conditions.
Don't get fooled by the low price of the car. It's cheap to buy because it's so damn expensive to upkeep.
what??? unless you have some really worn turbo, it is super easy to light up the rear tires even with a stock tune.

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#19)
Old

Default 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM

What would you all consider a "low" price tag for a 09-10 335i convertible? I was thinking of spending no more than 15k if it was MINTTT.
(#20)
Old

Default 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Also what synthetic oil would you guys recommend for performance!?