N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
BavarianBullet's Avatar
BavarianBullet BavarianBullet is offline
Assistant pedal masher
 
Posts: 55
Join Date: May 2008
Car: 335xi
Default 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Schweet! Thanks for keeping at it Rob.

Do you feel that your anticipated < $3k price is because there is no reseller involved (ie driving up costs)?

pictures pictures pictures!


2011 335xi Sedan 6AT, Premium, CW, Nav, Space Gray, Oyster and black. N55 JB4.
Reply With Quote
(#27)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM

You are welcome!

As for your question about price, I dont really want to get into too many details or say anything to start any bashing sessions on others who may have similar offerings (especially considering this is all premature for me, and proven for others). I respect what others have done up to this point and really dont want to be anything but friendly competition. But I do not think having a reseller would matter too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet
Schweet! Thanks for keeping at it Rob.

Do you feel that your anticipated < $3k price is because there is no reseller involved (ie driving up costs)?

pictures pictures pictures!
Reply With Quote
(#28)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM

I have read/seen of a couple different tactics for turbo replacement. I am going to leave it at that until I get in there and do it myself.

And yes, the turbos and exhaust manifold are both one piece.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by laloosh
I havnt read anything about turbo replacements so i have a couple questions.

Can the turbos be removed with ease or does it involve dropping the engine?
Dropping the subframe? Are the turbos and manifold one piece? or do they seperate from the mani (s)
Reply With Quote
(#29)
Old
OldBooster's Avatar
OldBooster OldBooster is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 336
Join Date: May 2009
Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Rob, I just bought the only used TD03 set on eBay ... Boy, did I get lucky! I hope other ones show up for sale. Kudos for your development ... I truly hope it pays off for you. We power seekers will surely benefit. Larry


Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
Reply With Quote
(#30)
Old
OldBooster's Avatar
OldBooster OldBooster is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 336
Join Date: May 2009
Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Here is what the turbo units look like as an assembly. They are usually for sale like this. I got lucky -- very low mileage 335i wreck, with no play in shaft, etc. But I guess that won't matter, eh?
Attached Images
 


Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
Reply With Quote
(#31)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Cool man. Nice score. Yeah, the condition doesnt really matter... as long as the housings are not destroyed in some way (very unlikely). Id actually be more looking for "bad units" just so you get them cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
Here is what the turbo units look like as an assembly. They are usually for sale like this. I got lucky -- very low mileage 335i wreck, with no play in shaft, etc. But I guess that won't matter, eh?
Reply With Quote
(#32)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Good fast work OB !!! I like your style
since I live on another continent, a few months ago down4it helped me buy eBay turbos and someone else is now holding onto them for me

These turbos cost me like $325 and are supposedly In pretty good shape.
Glad you were able to get a set. Mind me asking how much they r running these days ?

You other guys should look to buy used turbos now cause sooner or later they will b hard to get and probably more $$


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255

Last edited by midlife; 08-28-2009 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
(#33)
Old
Hit_Apex's Avatar
Hit_Apex Hit_Apex is offline
Riding the knock sensor
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: May 2008
Car: 08.335i 06.M3
Default 08-28-2009, 02:34 PM

I have two pair in the garage ready for exchange! Sounds great - I've liked the way you've gone about this so far. Hope it all works out.
Reply With Quote
(#34)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex
I have two pair in the garage ready for exchange! Sounds great - I've liked the way you've gone about this so far. Hope it all works out.

You have 2 sets!! And I thought I was nuts LOL.


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#35)
Old
A418t81's Avatar
A418t81 A418t81 is offline
One tire fire
 
Posts: 87
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: E92 335, 6MT
Default 08-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Rob, very interested to see what you come up with. Are you saying that you need the turbos just for their housings, since you are replacing the CHRA? If that's the case, can people hang on to their CHRAs (would make for a much easier/less expensive repair path for those who want to repair their turbos out of warranty)?


'18 Magnetic Gray Raptor
'19 GT3 RS Weissach
'09 997.1 6MT: FBO, 65mm VTGs. 730 whp
'18 Nardo Gray RS3 APR stage 2, 10.72 @ 130
Reply With Quote
(#36)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Yes, I will send you back your CHRA complete. I have no use for them whatsoever. They may have some market for some people who just want to plug in a stock replacement for a burnt up stock CHRA.

But of course they will never work with the housings I will be sending you back

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81
Rob, very interested to see what you come up with. Are you saying that you need the turbos just for their housings, since you are replacing the CHRA? If that's the case, can people hang on to their CHRAs (would make for a much easier/less expensive repair path for those who want to repair their turbos out of warranty)?
Reply With Quote
(#37)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
Yes, I will send you back your CHRA complete. I have no use for them whatsoever. They may have some market for some people who just want to plug in a stock replacement for a burnt up stock CHRA.

But of course they will never work with the housings I will be sending you back
noob question:
then theoretically these (unneeded) CHRAs could then be rebuilt and put back into a their stock housings yielding basically a brand new set of turbos ?


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#38)
Old
Down4it's Avatar
Down4it Down4it is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 127
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
Yes, I will send you back your CHRA complete. I have no use for them whatsoever. They may have some market for some people who just want to plug in a stock replacement for a burnt up stock CHRA.

But of course they will never work with the housings I will be sending you back
Coming from my experience you should really run these on the car and verify the power they make and that they actually work, also whats the name of your shop Rob, i don't think you ever told us and i don't think anyone is going to send $3k to Rob Beck Inc. Without some good ole guarantees...

With all the shady crap that goes on in forums i think we should know as much as we can before we start sending out checks and cores IMO.... If this does work out i may be inclined to join the bandwagon... I just wont be first this time. I still have the upgraded turbos in a box, don't really know what to do with them other than ebay i guess...
Reply With Quote
(#39)
Old
SJ335i SJ335i is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 2008 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to SJ335i
Default 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Rob,

Been following your input on these forums for awhile now and have great faith in your project. Hope all goes well and ends well as I am greatly anticipating the results. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote
(#40)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down4it
Coming from my experience you should really run these on the car and verify the power they make and that they actually work, also whats the name of your shop Rob, i don't think you ever told us and i don't think anyone is going to send $3k to Rob Beck Inc. Without some good ole guarantees...

With all the shady crap that goes on in forums i think we should know as much as we can before we start sending out checks and cores IMO.... If this does work out i may be inclined to join the bandwagon... I just won't be first this time. I still have the upgraded turbos in a box, don't really know what to do with them other than ebay i guess...
Hey oren, welcome back bud.
I know that terry plans on tuning these turbos so we will find out how they run soon enough.
Who knows maybe he will get a set himself !


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#41)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM

The end user can do whatever it is they wish with them.... but I would not get involved with it unless there became some huge demand or something. I have about 20 of them already I dont need, Id sell them super cheap if anyone wants to stock up? ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife
noob question:
then theoretically these (unneeded) CHRAs could then be rebuilt and put back into a their stock housings yielding basically a brand new set of turbos ?
Reply With Quote
(#42)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Yes, that is my plan (as noted in this thread- Post #21). Once I do some durability testing and do what I can working with Terry (at least enough to know they have some potential and arent going to disentegrate), I hope to get him his own set over there to really thrash on. And you need not worry about all the details at this point, I am not here to screw people over. If that was my game, I could've surely thought of a way to do it without spending 100's of hours of my life and thousands of $$'s developing a turbo upgrade; then later installing and testing/proving them out. An Ebay scam probably wouldve been a ton quicker. Be patient, and keep your cool, once they prove themselves you will be glad you did.

Thanks,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down4it
Coming from my experience you should really run these on the car and verify the power they make and that they actually work, also whats the name of your shop Rob, i don't think you ever told us and i don't think anyone is going to send $3k to Rob Beck Inc. Without some good ole guarantees...

With all the shady crap that goes on in forums i think we should know as much as we can before we start sending out checks and cores IMO.... If this does work out i may be inclined to join the bandwagon... I just wont be first this time. I still have the upgraded turbos in a box, don't really know what to do with them other than ebay i guess...
Reply With Quote
(#43)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ335i
Rob,

Been following your input on these forums for awhile now and have great faith in your project. Hope all goes well and ends well as I am greatly anticipating the results. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote
(#44)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
The end user can do whatever it is they wish with them.... but I would not get involved with it unless there became some huge demand or something. I have about 20 of them already I dont need, Id sell them super cheap if anyone wants to stock up? ha.
No, we do not want you rebuilding stock turbos - we want you cranking out more upgrades !

Btw, I think
1/ if your turbos work as planned - you will be plenty busy
2/ I believe there could be a decent market for rebuilt stock turbos & wastegates - maybe you could train SOMEONE ELESE to do that for you.


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#45)
Old
Down4it's Avatar
Down4it Down4it is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 127
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
Yes, that is my plan (as noted in this thread- Post #21). Once I do some durability testing and do what I can working with Terry (at least enough to know they have some potential and arent going to disentegrate), I hope to get him his own set over there to really thrash on. And you need not worry about all the details at this point, I am not here to screw people over. If that was my game, I could've surely thought of a way to do it without spending 100's of hours of my life and thousands of $$'s developing a turbo upgrade; then later installing and testing/proving them out. An Ebay scam probably wouldve been a ton quicker. Be patient, and keep your cool, once they prove themselves you will be glad you did.

Thanks,
Rob
I always do... I am just making sure you aren't some Florida VIP type shop, the fact that you don't give us your name kind of deters me from accepting what you are saying... But actions speak louder than forum threads, So get er done and lets see what they do, i hope as much as others that they are the shish!
Reply With Quote
(#46)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 4,030
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 08-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the support Down4it!!
Reply With Quote
(#47)
Old
A418t81's Avatar
A418t81 A418t81 is offline
One tire fire
 
Posts: 87
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: E92 335, 6MT
Default 08-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down4it
I always do... I am just making sure you aren't some Florida VIP type shop, the fact that you don't give us your name kind of deters me from accepting what you are saying... But actions speak louder than forum threads, So get er done and lets see what they do, i hope as much as others that they are the shish!
I have a lot of faith in Rob's work. He has consistently demonstrated that he knows exactly what he's talking about, and has the knowledge and skill to back it up. He's doing it right. These aren't a bigger compressor on the stock, puny CHRA. Anyway, I'm excited to see what they can do. I've been impressed so far, and I expect that to continue.


'18 Magnetic Gray Raptor
'19 GT3 RS Weissach
'09 997.1 6MT: FBO, 65mm VTGs. 730 whp
'18 Nardo Gray RS3 APR stage 2, 10.72 @ 130
Reply With Quote
(#48)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81
I have a lot of faith in Rob's work.
He has consistently demonstrated that he knows exactly what he's talking about, and has the knowledge and skill to back it up.

He's doing it right. These aren't a bigger compressor on the stock, puny CHRA. Anyway, I'm excited to see what they can do. I've been impressed so far, and I expect that to continue.
+10
absolutely agree with your statement.... well put from an informed forum member.
i would like to add that during many months of back and forth PMs with rob, i never got the feeling that he was anything but a serious, thoughtful guy that was straight forward and knew his stuff.
i especially like the fact that he is addressing the wastegate problem and will improve it best he can before selling his upgraded turbos.

lastly, it would be shocking for me if this upgrade does not perform as expected.

my 2 cents


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#49)
Old
midlife's Avatar
midlife midlife is offline
maniac
 
Posts: 265
Join Date: Jan 2008
Car: e93
Default 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck
Yes, that is my plan (as noted in this thread- Post #21).

Once I do some durability testing and do what I can working with Terry (at least enough to know they have some potential and arent going to disentegrate),
I hope to get him his own set over there to really thrash on.


IMHO, this approach is absolutely correct, and
getting a set to terry to thrash and tune is both great for the n54 community as well as a big business booster for you.
... everyone wins

but as you know the wait is KILLING me and probably alot of others

.


if your car isn't scary - it's just not fast enough !
JB3 2.0 beta / BMS Tuning Gauge / RPI IC / UR non catted *** / UR CAI / Quiaife LSD / Snow Methanol Injection / VK Oil Cooler / Forge DVs
Riss Catch Can / M3 Rear Sway Bar / M Sport Steering Wheel / Paddle Shifting 6AT / Logic 7 / Dunlop Direzza Z1 235/255
Reply With Quote
(#50)
Old
rcracer_tx rcracer_tx is offline
Wants upgraded Turbos
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2008
Car: 135i
Default 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

wow, I must admit I was very skeptical of your project, but it sounds like it is turning out very well.


-08' BMW 135i-
BMW SSK + CDV Mod + AP ********* + AP Midpipes + Remus Quads + AP Intercooler + AP chargepipe/bov + Injen Intake + Vivid upgraded turbos + JB3 18 ohm 1k fuel + BMS o2 + Coolingmist CGMS water/meth + AEM UEGO + Clutchmaters stg 3 + Custom Oil Cooler + RR OCC + Hotchkis front sway + BMW CF spoiler + BMW CF Trim + Integrated 9500ci

Turbo install commences in June at Vivid Racing
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com