N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 02-24-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
This thread will stay PUMP focused but we're good at juggling lots of projects.
Terry, please can you throw the Race Flash into your juggling? For us stuck in between guys
(#52)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-24-2016, 09:21 PM

lol worry not we're working on all fronts. Let's keep the heat on Martial to get a KR flag for us in the MHD JB4 back end flash interface.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#53)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 02-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Throttle response on a non KR map really hurts me lol. But I rather be SAFE than SORRY so thanks again Terry for providing that.
(#54)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 02-25-2016, 04:05 AM

My car is similar to the test car, as it is JB4 + BEF (via BB) and DCI. 6MT car though.

I've been running the May '15 release of the BEF on MAP 5. Car is a 3 season daily driver always on 93 octane. Is the newest BEF better to run on MAP 1 or MAP 5, as 5 wasn't mentioned (though not a great dyno performer I hear).

Will there be additional updates for the BEF soon on PUMP? I'm not driving the car so no need for me to flash it just to flash it again a couple weeks later, never driving it.
(#55)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 02-25-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen@StreetKingImports
Throttle response on a non KR map really hurts me lol. But I rather be SAFE than SORRY so thanks again Terry for providing that.
Have you tried playing with menu 11 to see if that helps a little?

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#56)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 02-25-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Well, here is a log a customer ran today on 100% E85 with port injection, stock turbos, the non-KR E85 BEF. Timing in 5th sticks at 0 post shift. Needless to say he's going back to the KR map.
Thanks for posting that. Could you clear something up because I am a little confused.
KR (I assume means knock revision)

Are the following correct?

KR = desensitized knock tables

Non-KR = factory tables
(#57)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 02-25-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfiftyfore
Thanks for posting that. Could you clear something up because I am a little confused.
KR (I assume means knock revision)

Are the following correct?

KR = desensitized knock tables

Non-KR = factory tables
Correct

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#58)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 02-25-2016, 07:36 AM

Good change on the knock tables. We advised everyone on the forums against touching them as SOON as they were released. Its unfortunate that many have and are still running around with those settings that were initially provided.

Knock table settings should be reverted back to stock on non-built motors for all types of octane. Far better ways out there to making power than touching what needs not to be touched.

Here's a link to where I've posted about it July 2015:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153446

Dzenno@PTF

Last edited by protuning freaks; 02-25-2016 at 07:50 AM..
(#59)
Old

Default 02-25-2016, 07:44 AM

So the consensus is to revert to stock tables on E85?
(#60)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
So the consensus is to revert to stock tables on E85?
That seems to be PTFs suggestion but not ours. I'd leave them as is on E85. On the PUMP maps where we have boost&timing set I'm OK with the KR changes. But where MHD has its pump OTS maps set, it's a problem. Since we're going to increase the aggressiveness of our PUMP maps the stock values are going to be more appropriate. Ultimately like anything tuning related there are going to be differences of opinion on it which is why we're working on making it a flash time option like the kick down blocker so you can easily switch between both modes when loading a particular JB4 back end map.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#61)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It should be about the same on throttle response. The worst symptom of false timing drops is neutered performance post shift.

Burger Motorsports

(#62)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
My car is similar to the test car, as it is JB4 + BEF (via BB) and DCI. 6MT car though.

I've been running the May '15 release of the BEF on MAP 5. Car is a 3 season daily driver always on 93 octane. Is the newest BEF better to run on MAP 1 or MAP 5, as 5 wasn't mentioned (though not a great dyno performer I hear).

Will there be additional updates for the BEF soon on PUMP? I'm not driving the car so no need for me to flash it just to flash it again a couple weeks later, never driving it.
I'm working on revising map5 when used with the BEF as well. But you can use map5 or you can use map1. On pump gas I prefer map1.

Burger Motorsports

(#63)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM

Any pump gas low for the single turbos

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#64)
Old

Default 02-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
That seems to be PTFs suggestion but not ours. I'd leave them as is on E85. On the PUMP maps where we have boost&timing set I'm OK with the KR changes. But where MHD has its pump OTS maps set, it's a problem. Since we're going to increase the aggressiveness of our PUMP maps the stock values are going to be more appropriate. Ultimately like anything tuning related there are going to be differences of opinion on it which is why we're working on making it a flash time option like the kick down blocker so you can easily switch between both modes when loading a particular JB4 back end map.
I understand. What brought all of this up? I know there has been some tall about knock tables here and there but I don't remember reading about anybody blowing any cylinders on stocks turbos with any of these flashes. Has there been some profound discovery recently or are you just opening up options for the skeptics? I rather like how my car drives and to my logs are really good aside from cyl 5 timing.
(#65)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I understand. What brought all of this up? I know there has been some tall about knock tables here and there but I don't remember reading about anybody blowing any cylinders on stocks turbos with any of these flashes. Has there been some profound discovery recently or are you just opening up options for the skeptics? I rather like how my car drives and to my logs are really good aside from cyl 5 timing.
The PUMP file changes are for tuning considerations. We're going to ramp boost up higher on pump gas and as a result we want the knock system proportionally more sensitive. But as to the rest of it since it's a hot topic and an area for "skeptics" to rant about it just makes sense for us to switch to more of an opt in policy on those changes.

I'm not aware of any tuned stock turbos blowing pistons, although lots of N54s have 100-140k miles now, so I'm sure it happens from time to time. I've heard of maybe 5 hybrid cars blow up at 25psi+ boost levels on 50-100% E85 mixtures. So with hybrids I'd think more carefully about the KR tables. It becomes a higher risk/reward proposition. e.g. bigger reward, bigger risk.

Burger Motorsports

(#66)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 02-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immoralus
Nice! I'm just waiting on someone to help streamline something for us guys with Inlets who are too dumb to mess with FOL, PID's and what not for Pump Gas.
Same. I'll be FBO + inlets this weekend and want to just load up an E85 flash that takes extra advantage of the inlets. From what I hear, I'll have to contact Ken or someone else for a custom tune. I'll be sticking with JB4 + MHD BEF.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#67)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 11:45 AM

Why would you need a custom tune or anything extra for inlets? Just throw a JB4 log in the support area and if you need any tuning help Steve or I will chime in. We take what we learn from helping you guys and incorporate it in to the JB4 mapping and auto learning logic so the JB4 is better able to adapt itself to anyone running the same parts.

Burger Motorsports

(#68)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 02-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Terry, with all the talk of the PUMP flash, is the Race flash still relevant? Is it still worthwhile running over the PUMP flash when using meth/decent fuel?
(#69)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 02-25-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Have you tried playing with menu 11 to see if that helps a little?
Ya I have it set at 5k rpm
Quote:
It should be about the same on throttle response. The worst symptom of false timing drops is neutered performance post shift.
Really?? Because it seriously feels like I'm driving a car with a big single compared to before. It spools quick but the throttle itself feels dead. It's as if I need to go more than half way to feel anything and my jb4 menu 11 is set at 5k.
(#70)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 02-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Why would you need a custom tune or anything extra for inlets? Just throw a JB4 log in the support area and if you need any tuning help Steve or I will chime in. We take what we learn from helping you guys and incorporate it in to the JB4 mapping and auto learning logic so the JB4 is better able to adapt itself to anyone running the same parts.
Inlets allow higher boost. I need a flash that will request 20+PSI I believe.

I have a daily driver, I just want a flash that will give me the most power for my fuel and mods (E85, FBO, inlets). If **** breaks, that's what my daily driver is for!

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#71)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful

I have a daily driver, I just want a flash that will give me the most power for my fuel and mods (E85, FBO, inlets). If **** breaks, that's what my daily driver is for!
No. Remember what psi is. Do not listen to another word from whomever is telling you these things.

2007 335i 4dr JB4, Hexon RR600, Inlets, 4Bar, Index 12, Boost Concept Pump, DCI, FMIC, DP and full exhaust, Burger Meth, MHD BEF. Auto.
(#72)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:

i love your write up and blog but its pretty funny and naive you say this to Terry, who has been tuning forever on this platform and on his own forums none the less.

Terry are you guys still considering custom tunes?

Last edited by mike082802; 02-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: edit
(#73)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Ya I have it set at 5k rpm

Really?? Because it seriously feels like I'm driving a car with a big single compared to before. It spools quick but the throttle itself feels dead. It's as if I need to go more than half way to feel anything and my jb4 menu 11 is set at 5k.
With v32.2 we cranked up the menu 11 effect, so email me if you want to help test that.

Burger Motorsports

(#74)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJ
Terry, with all the talk of the PUMP flash, is the Race flash still relevant? Is it still worthwhile running over the PUMP flash when using meth/decent fuel?
The PUMP, RACE, and E85 flash designations will remain. Someone running pump gas + meth or E85 mixtures part time, would most appropriately use the RACE flash.

Burger Motorsports

(#75)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-25-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:

The JB4's wastegate compensation automatically tunes for the inlets when you add them. Once we see the logs we can determine how aggressively it's set for you now and if you want it to be more aggressive can help with that also.

Map7 with the E85 BEF is 20psi peak and normally a good starting point for E85+inlet setups. At that point we also need to consider fueling, timing, and other factors, before pushing boost higher. So start with map7.

Burger Motorsports