N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page MM Performance upgraded inlets + Wedge tune on stock turbos dyno results

(#51)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM

Great results! Glad to see some actually posted up now. How long was the install of these?

----------------
Stacked BMS Flash & JB4, Dinan CAI, ER Chargepipe, 7" VRSF Intercooler, VRSF DP's, ER Sport Oil Cooler w/Steel lines, Gunmetal 19" VMR V710's, 335is clutch, Wavetrac LSD, M3 FSB, M3 Front & Rear Control arms, M3 RSB, M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 guide rods
(#52)
Old

Car: 335i Cp TiAg JB3 DCI
Default 03-24-2015, 05:44 AM

Check out my product thread 1st post. Has install details and times there.

Stock Turbo 500whp 540wtq with MMP inlets
http://mmp-e.com
  • inlets (high flow and one piece silicone)
  • high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#53)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 03-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksilver
Check out my product thread 1st post. Has install details and times there.
Whoops! Sorry my lady! I was a bit inebriated during that post. Will have to order a set of these at some point this summer for sure!

----------------
Stacked BMS Flash & JB4, Dinan CAI, ER Chargepipe, 7" VRSF Intercooler, VRSF DP's, ER Sport Oil Cooler w/Steel lines, Gunmetal 19" VMR V710's, 335is clutch, Wavetrac LSD, M3 FSB, M3 Front & Rear Control arms, M3 RSB, M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 guide rods
(#54)
Old

Car: 335i Cp TiAg JB3 DCI
Default 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM

well Terry helped me figure out how to check with the dyno data if I was getting either tire or trans slipping. Check out this plot. You can clearly see that trans or tires are slipping at max power rpm. Need to go back and get a clean dyno run as there is more power to be had without trans or tires slipping. 4th run, top line, was the closest to a clean run and the one that produced the highest torque. Hopefully its just tire spin on drums and not trans, otherwise may be time to upgrade the 6AT trans. Would be great if someone with a 6MT dyno tested with these inlets on stock turbo as they can get 3% more from less drivetrain loss and could set the whp record for stock turbos. Adding 3% to my results gets power to 494whp!

also look how clean the torque curve looks and this is with smoothing set to 0, not the typical 5! Shows how smooth the boost control is and you can see it from the WGDC log I posted earlier that the WGDC control is supper smooth as well.
Attached Images

Stock Turbo 500whp 540wtq with MMP inlets
http://mmp-e.com
  • inlets (high flow and one piece silicone)
  • high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#55)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksilver
well Terry helped me figure out how to check with the dyno data if I was getting either tire or trans slipping. Check out this plot. You can clearly see that trans or tires are slipping at max power rpm. Need to go back and get a clean dyno run as there is more power to be had without trans or tires slipping. 4th run, top line, was the closest to a clean run and the one that produced the highest torque. Hopefully its just tire spin on drums and not trans, otherwise may be time to upgrade the 6AT trans. Would be great if someone with a 6MT dyno tested with these inlets on stock turbo as they can get 3% more from less drivetrain loss and could set the whp record for stock turbos. Adding 3% to my results gets power to 494whp!

also look how clean the torque curve looks and this is with smoothing set to 0, not the typical 5! Shows how smooth the boost control is and you can see it from the WGDC log I posted earlier that the WGDC control is supper smooth as well.
Wow, this is just awesome. Hats off to you and Terry and thanks for posting this. Someone with a 6MT get on this!
(#56)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Great results!

2009 E90 335i
(#57)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM

Good **** silver!!

| ProCharged C6 Z06 | F44 M235i | F30 330i |
(#58)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 03-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Outstanding. Thanks for being the guinea pig with these. You're helping move the chains forward on this platform.
(#59)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 03-26-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
I don't think its people don't believe it. It clearly free's up a bottle neck and if a simple re-tune to make use of the opened up bottle neck is required that's not a bad thing at all (no different than stage 2 tuning for the addition of D....P....s).

What nobody knows and wants to know is if just slapping these on with NO other changes will provide significant gains. So far everybody who has posted about them has made other changes at the same time. I don't think its too much to ask wanting to know if just slapping these on a FBO stock turbo car will provide significant gains or boost needs to be dialed up to take advantage of the restriction removal.
I see what you're saying and the way I'd say it is: you want exactly the same tuner and/or level of aggressiveness of the tune applied to before/after. For example what you DON'T want is a stunt like what PTF pulled recently comparing their tune to JB4 and Cobb. What a shameless fiasco that was.

OP, not saying that is what is going on here but this guy has a point. Maybe someone who has a very aggressive optimized Wedge/etc. flash tune can slap these intakes on and then get new very aggressive optimized tune and compare. Point is we've all seen similar or greater gains claimed from just the tune with no hardware changes and you'd want to differentiate your product from that.

No doubt the intakes are doing something very good, the trick is to tease out what that is unambiguously by minimizing the effect of other variables, like de toon.
(#60)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 03-26-2015, 06:27 AM

I think it's pretty obvious with all the new data on all of the available inlet upgrade options that there are gains to be had no matter what option or tuning you choose. The stock inlets are clearly a restriction even on stock turbos and at the very least allow your turbos to make power with less strain and therefore increasing the longevity of the turbos while still making tons of power. It's not like any of the different designs are accomplishing this in drastically different ways. VTT is the most different of the options by still routing it back to the otherside of the engine compartment and those are showing gains as well.

TFT paved the way and proved the stock inlets are a BIG restriction especially on upgraded stock frames. I've dyno'd on the same dyno he did and know his car and him very well. I made just over 500whp where he made over 640whp, the only differences being the tune, inlets, and fuel (he ran E85 and meth I ran race gas and meth).

I'm not sure why people need more proof that any of these inlet upgrades are well worth the cost.

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#61)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-26-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect
I think it's pretty obvious with all the new data on all of the available inlet upgrade options that there are gains to be had no matter what option or tuning you choose. The stock inlets are clearly a restriction even on stock turbos and at the very least allow your turbos to make power with less strain and therefore increasing the longevity of the turbos while still making tons of power. It's not like any of the different designs are accomplishing this in drastically different ways. VTT is the most different of the options by still routing it back to the otherside of the engine compartment and those are showing gains as well.

TFT paved the way and proved the stock inlets are a BIG restriction especially on upgraded stock frames. I've dyno'd on the same dyno he did and know his car and him very well. I made just over 500whp where he made over 640whp, the only differences being the tune, inlets, and fuel (he ran E85 and meth I ran race gas and meth).

I'm not sure why people need more proof that any of these inlet upgrades are well worth the cost.
TOTALLY agree, however dont post this on bimmerboost, tony attacked me when i asked for the gains on stock turbos lol

| ProCharged C6 Z06 | F44 M235i | F30 330i |
(#62)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335xi
Default 03-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
I see what you're saying and the way I'd say it is: you want exactly the same tuner and/or level of aggressiveness of the tune applied to before/after. For example what you DON'T want is a stunt like what PTF pulled recently comparing their tune to JB4 and Cobb. What a shameless fiasco that was.

OP, not saying that is what is going on here but this guy has a point. Maybe someone who has a very aggressive optimized Wedge/etc. flash tune can slap these intakes on and then get new very aggressive optimized tune and compare. Point is we've all seen similar or greater gains claimed from just the tune with no hardware changes and you'd want to differentiate your product from that.

No doubt the intakes are doing something very good, the trick is to tease out what that is unambiguously by minimizing the effect of other variables, like de toon.
Perfectly stated!

---------------
Speed Is Life
(#63)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335xi
Default 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect

No one's arguing that there are no gains or benefits, we just want scientifically documented benefits.

---------------
Speed Is Life
(#64)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 03-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseN54
TOTALLY agree, however dont post this on bimmerboost, tony attacked me when i asked for the gains on stock turbos lol
He may change his mind now. It appears to me that gains are to be had and at the least your taking some stress off the stockers as well

e92
(#65)
Old

Car: E82 135i N54
Default 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM

I am one of 'those guys' waiting for true (dyno before and after inlets installed with no tuning) dyno proven gains for stock turbos, simply because I'm not prepared to buy MM/VTT/TFT inlets to gain 5-10whp and spend 10+ hours labour in my garage on the weekend.

I believe no one has been able to supply this fairly simple data, which is not an unreasonable request when buying a $500-1500 product IMO.

Regardless, keep up the good work!
(#66)
Old

Car: 09 e92
Default 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM

There are intake systems that have been on the market for many years that cost $500 or even more. I don't think the price on this system is out of line at all. It will add at least as much power as any of those. 10 hours install time is where I start questioning my desire to put it on stock turbos.
(#67)
Old

Default 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM

I'm not questioning the price, money is not a factor. Like yourself, it's my time/swearing/PITA to whp ratio that I am concerned about, as I have no desire to ever upgrade from stock turbos.
(#68)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM

I agree with a lot of the guys here and what they have to say about a lot of this stuff you guys point out many good things, that being said I feel as some companies are taking advantage of the lack of competition and putting down a higher price tag, which I mean makes sense people have to make a living somehow. I've seen this time and time again companies with good products with competitive pricing are always the ones that profit the most. I love how there is a good community who tries to support its platform and come up with cheaper options. It's obvious having less restrictive inlets are gonna do you more good than harm, it's gonna be a pain to install but that's how life goes, I believe this platform is going to also explode so for those who haven't modded much, cheaper options will be made down the road. I struggled with my previous car community because my supplier decided to charge me retail prices as wholesale prices and you can guess where that ended up. I know what it costs to make certain things, I was rocking the silicone intakes which do very well with heat, at the end of the day just goes down to what your willing to pay.
(#69)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 03-27-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti
I'm not questioning the price, money is not a factor. Like yourself, it's my time/swearing/PITA to whp ratio that I am concerned about, as I have no desire to ever upgrade from stock turbos.
If money is not a factor pay someone to install them.

If you plan on staying with stock turbos then just use the DCI up top like 99% of the people on the platform.

On 93 pump even with a retune my guess is your gains will be VERY small if you already have DCIs.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#70)
Old

Car: E82 135i
Default 03-27-2015, 11:37 PM

So you used 100% E85 for this run?

To truly see the gains, you should Dyno on 93 and then on an E50 mixture.

Instagram: _SER1ES_
(#71)
Old

Default 03-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
If money is not a factor pay someone to install them.

If you plan on staying with stock turbos then just use the DCI up top like 99% of the people on the platform.

On 93 pump even with a retune my guess is your gains will be VERY small if you already have DCIs.

I do all the work on my cars as I don't trust anyone else to touch babies.

I already have an aftermarket intake, but the whole point of my post is that before any product hits the market there should be proven data to see if there are any gains (big or small), to justify anyone's time or money.
(#72)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 03-30-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
This is the million dollar question everybody is still guessing and assuming. How can three different people design and produce inlets and nobody has simply took a FBO car with DCI dyno'd and installed the inlets and dyno'd again. This seems like an elementary task when developing something like this.
(#73)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM

I'm not sure why anyone is so concerned with the gas. It yields results.....all 3 SHOW results. If your just FBO only running 93 then it is now safe to say since there are 3 kits out there that have dyno proven results....

2007 BMW 335i...M2 exhaust...Macht Schnell DP's...VRSF 7" FMIC...MM Performance inlet system.....VRSF Chargpipe with Tial BOV....MFACTORY LSD....MHD e60. Wedge tunING.........RB Stealths......N20 Tmap upgrade.....Steve Stage 2 450......H&R Race lowering springs...MT ET Streets 265/40/18 rear.....NGK 5992
(#74)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 03-31-2015, 04:19 PM

Looks good, definitely some gains with intakes for stock turbo guys running the turbo's maxed out. They aren't crazy gains like the hybrids get but gains are gains and the ones that make things easier on the turbo's are the best kind you can get.
(#75)
Old

Car: 07 335i coupe
Default 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM

I got mine on the dyno couple days ago with about 10 other n54's. I had the highest numbers out the group that day. I had a boost leak on the dyno also. not hitting my 20psi all the way across. MY front turbo actuator isn't staying shut. May have a bad vacuum line, hopefully turbo isn't already messing up its got under 15k on it.

*** to make things clear. RUN 004 WAS before the intakes****
Attached Images