N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page MM Performance upgraded inlets + Wedge tune on stock turbos dyno results

(#26)
Old

Car: 335i Cp TiAg JB3 DCI
Default 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Also another bit of info for how it performs on the street, I ran my buddy last night from a roll and he has a 6AT e90 with 6262 bottom mount single turbo kit with port injection running full E85 with boost in the 19-20psi range all the way to redline and I was only 1-2 cars behind him. He was very impressed by how I kept up. He smoked his buddy from a roll who has a c6 z06 with mods and tune. I plan to race the c6 z06 soon

Stock Turbo 500whp 540wtq with MMP inlets
http://mmp-e.com
  • inlets (high flow and one piece silicone)
  • high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#27)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksilver
Yeah i'd be happy to continue to work with you as we were. I was just impatient to get on the dyno and noticed when running the backend flashes only I got no misfires and codes like I did running with either piggback system. Not sure why that is but I'm sure we can figure it out with logs and custom tuning etc. The sensor arrived today but the harness I bought from you was delayed in the mail so will get it in a couple days I hope. I have some 3, 4, 5 logs (2 no traction!) and they look good with good AFRs and timing curves and PLENTY of BOOST Currently running 10deg ramp to 13deg timing. I will need a way to tune my hybrids into the 30psi range and currently I decided the JB4 is the way to get until something changes on the flash side so I have an interest in getting JB4 to work also with your help.
Wait you have hybrids currently on or your planning on installing them?

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#28)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM

and if the piggyback harness was making interferences with the injector harness, in the DME box ??

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#29)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
Wait you have hybrids currently on or your planning on installing them?
planning on installing them.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28908

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#30)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 03-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Oh wow very interesting! Can't wait to see how they perform

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#31)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335xi
Default 03-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastEd
My quote you referenced was pointing out that these runs were on different tunes. I was hoping for an apples to apples comparison of the inlet change alone but with the different tune added that makes any other variables at the time of the dyno mute.

Even still its impressive power.
Concur. A change in tune is a huge difference. Would love to see an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe someone else will get these installed soon who can show differences with only the inlet change.

---------------
Speed Is Life
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-23-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
and if the piggyback harness was making interferences with the injector harness, in the DME box ??
The JB4 can't do anything to cause a misfire, unless you have the now obsolete CPS wires installed, so if something misfires with only a JB4 installed that would be a mystery. Some flash tuners used to disable misfire detection all together in their flashes. Which is always a bad idea. Hopefully not the case here!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#33)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 01:42 PM

misfire detection is enabled in my tune. I tried messing before with the backend flash on my procede with disabling misfire detection and it worked for a little bit but then started messing up again and cutting off cylinders just not throwing the misfire code so that didn't work for me.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development

Last edited by Mauricio @ MMP; 03-23-2015 at 01:55 PM..
(#34)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayforge
Concur. A change in tune is a huge difference. Would love to see an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe someone else will get these installed soon who can show differences with only the inlet change.
sorry i disagree. The equation is simple, boost, fuel, timing = power regardless of which flash or piggy you run, the different tunes just have different methods of executing the control. But same mods, same car and different tunes all running the same fuel curves, timing curves, and boost curves will make the same power. Even Terry said it above and I think wedge also. What the inlets allow you to do is run more boost in upper rpm, regardless of which tune you are running. With the JB4 you get more features with flash only it seems so far to me the boost control is silky smooth and for whatever reason got rid of my fueling and misfiring issues on the piggybacks.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
misfire detection is enabled in my tune. I tried messing before with the backend flash on my procede with disabling misfire detection and it worked for a little bit but then started messing up again and cutting off cylinders just not throwing the misfire code so that didn't work for me.
That is really odd then. The procede had a misfire issue with its CPS. Did you have CPS installed on the JB4? I'm assuming no as that is pretty obsolete with the back end flash maps now.

We'll have to dig in to it when the JB4 goes back on.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#36)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 02:09 PM

no, I just bought the JB4 G5 ISO couple weeks ago. I dont have CPS module.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#37)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Didn't think so. We'll look at the data when you have it.

Have your current logs?

Burger Motorsports

(#38)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Yeah, will work with you privately by email.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#39)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 03-23-2015, 03:39 PM

FINALLY some stock/factory turbos results with upgraded inlet piping.
Correct me if I am wrong but these are the only results released to date on stock/factory turbos correct??

These are the kits available?:
MM Performance (this kit)
TFT
VTT
DIY

Sign me up man, time for me to go check out your for sale thread again and get my order.
(#40)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM

I haven't seen other dynos posted for upgraded inlets on stock turbos on any forum.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#41)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 03-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen other dynos posted for upgraded inlets on stock turbos on any forum.
Didn't think so. Nice work man.
(#42)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335xi
Default 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
sorry i disagree. The equation is simple, boost, fuel, timing = power regardless of which flash or piggy you run, the different tunes just have different methods of executing the control. But same mods, same car and different tunes all running the same fuel curves, timing curves, and boost curves will make the same power. Even Terry said it above and I think wedge also. What the inlets allow you to do is run more boost in upper rpm, regardless of which tune you are running. With the JB4 you get more features with flash only it seems so far to me the boost control is silky smooth and for whatever reason got rid of my fueling and misfiring issues on the piggybacks.
I would agree with you if, in fact, the different tunes managed to control fueling, timing and boost identically. But this would be nearly impossible. The varied methods they use to control these functions and the different values in the hundreds of table locations will cause variation.

---------------
Speed Is Life
(#43)
Old

Car: E90 LCI
Default 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM

What year is this AT? are you IJEOS....any post shift timing flatline? still wondering if Wedge is able to tune this out with all who suffer from it....
(#44)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 03-23-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
sorry i disagree. The equation is simple, boost, fuel, timing = power regardless of which flash or piggy you run, the different tunes just have different methods of executing the control.
What does that have to do with anything. Wedge didn't come up there and dial in the same boost, fuel and timing curves as you already had (which would be an apples to apples comparison). He custom tuned it with completely different parameters than you had before otherwise you wouldn't have even needed him.

The point was made that the inlets allow 3-4psi of boost at 6k rpm to be dialed in at the same WGDC which implies re-tuning is REQUIRED to get the most out of them. You've shown that they work on stock turbos but you will need a re-tune to get them to perform as advertised which is TWO changes that need to be made (even if its not a hardware change, its a significant change)
(#45)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Well there is another guy local to me who bought my kit and has JB4 and was at 430 before inlets and will dyno again pretty soon with the same tune. He will posts results after the dyno. It's clear to me these inlets produce a lot of gains but I guess some people don't believe it.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#46)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msport335
What year is this AT? are you IJEOS....any post shift timing flatline? still wondering if Wedge is able to tune this out with all who suffer from it....
'07. No. Don't know.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#47)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well there is another guy local to me who bought my kit and has JB4 and was at 430 before inlets and will dyno again pretty soon with the same tune. He will posts results after the dyno. It's clear to me these inlets produce a lot of gains but I guess some people don't believe it.
I don't think its people don't believe it. It clearly free's up a bottle neck and if a simple re-tune to make use of the opened up bottle neck is required that's not a bad thing at all (no different than stage 2 tuning for the addition of D....P....s).

What nobody knows and wants to know is if just slapping these on with NO other changes will provide significant gains. So far everybody who has posted about them has made other changes at the same time. I don't think its too much to ask wanting to know if just slapping these on a FBO stock turbo car will provide significant gains or boost needs to be dialed up to take advantage of the restriction removal.
(#48)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM

wow so 480whp @ 20psi? thats awesome are you using a 3.5 map sensor?
(#49)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Just got my 3.5 bar sensor today. Will install soon.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#50)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 03-23-2015, 09:31 PM

Sweet Moses. Thanks for posting! Very impressive to see w/ the stock snails in there!