N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default Chadillac2000's 2008 BMW 535i Build Thread - 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Quick background story: Rewind back to 2011 when I started looking to upgrade from my high-mileage E46 M3 convertible. I found my ideal CPO 2008 535i with 55k miles that was in immaculate condition, the Space Gray color I wanted, and included the 6 year, 100,000 mile CPO warranty with free maintenance. I toyed around with modding a bit, including purchasing a JB4 and DCI combo from BMS a few months after I purchased the vehicle. Unfortunately, removing and reinstalling everything for every maintenance/service visit became a bit tedious, so I decided to resist the urge to mod this car until it was out of warranty.

Around 95,000 miles I had some issues with both the water pump and injectors, but luckily they were replaced under warranty before I reached 100,000 miles.

I spent another 20,000 miles of easy driving before deciding to mod again, which was about 3 or 4 months ago. Since then I've added a few parts here and there. Started with a few minor things like front bumper plugs to hide the holes left behind afte removing the front plate holder. By then it was time to replace the tires on the 17" stock wheels, so I decided to upgrade everything. I picked up a set of 19" 351M wheels from a local F10 535i with new OEM tires in a square setup. I added 10mm spacers in the front and 12mm spacers in the rear to make clearances work and also so I'll be able to rotate the square setup. To correct a small dent I had on the trunk lid, I picked up one of the M5 style spoilers from BMWChop168. Shipped from Taiwan and painted to match for only $93. Here's what the car looks like before I started addressing the performance/maintenance aspects of the car:

On the performance side of things, I knew the BMS JB4 + DCI combo was something I was going to go with. I ended up picking up a used JB4 (G4 Board) and a used set of DCIs for around $360 bucks. With these savings I also picked up a set of free-flowing *** to help aid in flow. I thought this would provide plenty of extra power to keep me occupied for a while.

Replaced these...

With these...

Here was the first cold startup with the new ***, JB4, DCIs, and fresh spark plugs installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr8bJdp811M

I then discovered that by adding 4 gallons of E85, filling the rest of the tank up with 93, switching the JB4 to Map 5, and doing some 3rd gear pulls for the car to autotune, that A LOT more power can be extracted. So much so that I immediately started planning other mods. Here's a quick 3rd and 4th gear pull from 40-120MPH. Felt even faster than it looked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRY4MfH-5LY

At this point I also decided to upgrade to the G5 ISO board and grab some USB cable/extension for logging. My initial expressions after only trying Map 2 with 93 octane, is that the car feels a lot smoother; especially at low throttle. I somewhat miss the raw acceleration and hit of the boost with the G4 board, but still prefer the smoother powerband and needed the ability to upload a backend flash to incorporate more E85 once I upgrade my LPFP in a few months. I still need to compare the feel of the G5 ISO Board versus the G4 Board when running 30% E85.

With the warmer months approaching, I've went ahead and put in an order for a 7" FMIC, some miscellaneous IC piping, and silicon couplers that I'll be installing here over the next few weeks. More updates to come!

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF

Last edited by chadillac2000; 03-19-2015 at 07:25 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM

On the way to work this morning I had the chance to add 4 gallons of E85 to an empty tank and then fill the rest with 93. I routed my USB cord through the firewall so I'll be getting some logs very soon to make sure everything is properly and to its full potential before adding the FMIC, LPFP and eventually more E85 in the coming months.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Single Turbo Build Thread HERE

ACF PTE 6062 BB Top Mount ST Kit, Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP, Phoenix Racing Port Injection Manifold + RACE FMIC, JB4 + BMS ST E85 PI BEF

Last edited by chadillac2000; 03-19-2015 at 07:25 AM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335i
Default 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM

This is a fun thread. I deeply enjoy long-form build threads, especially detailed ones. Sounds like you're having fun.

Keep it up.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2010 BMW 535i
Default 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Keep it up. I love treads with pics.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Finally got around to downloading the JB4 App on my Mac and putting my new extension cord in the glovebox to use. I had thought about getting the Bluetooth adapter and purchasing the JB4 app, but this works for now and I'd rather put the money towards other mods.

Was able to log a 3rd gear pull with a shift into 4th gear on Map 5 with about 30% E85.

Everything look pretty good, but my LPFP is having some issues keeping up at high RPMs. That's to be expected on the stock pump with 125,000 miles on it though. Lucky for me, I was able to place an order for the Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP Upgrade a little earlier today. With the larger FMIC and the new LPFP, summer is looking like it will be very fun.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 03-21-2015 at 08:20 AM..
(#6)
Old

Default 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM

Does the graph indicate ur targeting and achieving over 25 pounds of boost on stock turbos?

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#7)
Old

Default 03-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell8
Does the graph indicate ur targeting and achieving over 25 pounds of boost on stock turbos?
Not sure what's going on with the graph now that I look at it. I was looking at the CSV file which did not indicate those boost levels at all.
Attached Files
File Type: csv NightLog 11.46.09 PM.csv (68.3 KB, 181 views)

(#8)
Old

Default 03-21-2015, 06:55 PM

All the components to install my 7" FMIC came in earlier this evening. Looking forward to strapping on all the new gear tomorrow. Updates to follow!

(#9)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 06:37 PM

After a few weeks of research, emailing back and forth with members and vendors, as well as a lot of forum searching, I finally pulled the trigger on attempting the install of a 7" VRSF FMIC in the front of my E60 535i. Following in the footsteps of ucsbwsr and his thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24731 I picked up a few extra pieces in addition to the standard 135i/335i kit that VRSF offers. Just as ucsbwsr did, I opted for the optional lower charge pipe upgrade.

With a few aluminum *****, some silicon hoses, and a few more T-bolt clamps I had everything I needed to make this fit. I'm currently piecing together a complete step by step DIY on how to make this FMIC fit the E6X chassis. In addition to the post made by ucsbwsr, anyone should be able to make the necessary modifications to make this install feasible for anyone.

The car runs even stronger, and now with the IATs staying lower, can do so for even longer. Spool up has even become more audible when doing away with the factory plastic intercooler piping and replacing them with the aluminum variety. Even with the standard E60 front bumper, and not the MTech version as I've seen in most other FMIC installs, the silver core can be seen with ease while still achieving sleeper status. Here's a copy/pasted version of my DIY write-up:After reading the thread originally posted by ucsbwsr of how to to fit the 7" FMIC to our E60 N54 equipped cars, I was all in. I knew warmer months were ahead, I knew I was about to up the boost even more when going up to E65 fuel, and severe heat soak would be inevitable. Since I didn't want to deal with running meth, and I had access to E85, running E85 with a FMIC was exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is that most of the FMIC kits for the N54 are geared towards the 135i and 335i platforms. But it seemed like with a standard 135/335 kit, and a few miscellaneous couplers and *****, we could make things work.

First off you'll need the VRSF 7" FMIC kit. I received the lower charge pipe upgrade, but DID NOT use it.

As far as extra components that you'll need, here are links to what I purchased extra. You could probably produce them yourself for much cheaper.

- a 15" long 2.5" 90 degree bend (http://store.max-redline.com/index.p...g-l-elbow.html)
- 4 more T-Bolt clamps (I got them from here - http://store.max-redline.com/index.p...r-exhaust.html)
- a 5" long 2.5" (http://store.max-redline.com/index.p...bo-5-long.html)
- a 45 degree 2.5" silicon elbow (http://store.max-redline.com/index.p...icon-hose.html)
- and a 30 degree 2.5" silicon elbow (Max-Redline didn't have these so I found them at SiliconIntakes.com - http://www.siliconeintakes.com/30-si...-30-p-196.html)

Once you've got all your parts together, now on to the actual installation:

UPDATE: I immediately began searching for a better mounting solution and have since replaced the slew of smaller zip ties with only 1 large, industrial strength zip-tie for each side.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 08-24-2016 at 10:55 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Nice work. I just received my FMIC (CP-e) today and can't wait to put it on. E60 guy here.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M Sport
Default 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM

I'm loving this thread. Thank you so much for doing this. Which DP's did you get? Dyno anytime in the future?
(#12)
Old

Default 03-26-2015, 08:37 AM

Question.
Do you guys have to pass emissions? I would love to put the DP with out the catalytic converters but Virginia has an emissions inspection every other year.
(#13)
Old

Default 03-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexib71
Nice work. I just received my FMIC (CP-e) today and can't wait to put it on. E60 guy here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexib71
Question.
Do you guys have to pass emissions? I would love to put the DP with out the catalytic converters but Virginia has an emissions inspection every other year.
Let us know how it turns out. I'm loving how the FMIC peeks out from behind the OEM grill so far. And I do have to pass emissions. I planned ahead and got my car inspected the day before I installed my ***, so I have another 11 months before I'll have to worry about passing emissions. I do have a DP fix though that I'll install to pass OBDII emissions here in NC.

(#14)
Old

Default 03-28-2015, 02:53 PM

After 130,000 miles of use without replacement, my logs verified that my LPFP was on its way out. Lucky for us E60 folks, we have Fuel-It! to thank for this awesome kit. I made my order and received everything two days later. $780 + $30 shipping for the kit (they throw in an ethanol tester and lock ring tool for free) and $300 deposit that i'll be refunded once my core makes its way back to Fuel-It! so $510 minus the shipping costs of my stock LPFP assembly for this entire package. UPDATE: My refund was processed the same day my core was delivered to Fuel-It! by Fedex. Impressive!

I'll say this before I get started, this was one of the most enjoyable installs I've ever had and I've wrenched on a lot of different vehicles. Simple, straightforward and with the two existing videos that Fuel-It! provides on their website, everything is pretty much self explanatory.

I started the install around noon on Friday, took my time, enjoyed a coffee intermittently while stepping out to get some fresh air and escape the gas fumes, and started the car with the Fuel-It! gear fully installed at 2pm. No snags.

Here's how it went down - Backseat removed with Youtube videos cued:

Liner pulled back and bolts removed to access fuel pump area:

The video advised to remove the stubbon rubber ring to get the liner out of the way, but I just used a bungee cord to secure it out of the way:

After following the advice of the Fuel-It! video, this power clip to the fuel pump came out easily:

The Fuel-It! lock ring tool and some penetrant to spray on the locking rings, which I let sit for about 5-10 minutes while I was preparing other stuff:

The combination of penetrant and the tool made light work of the locking rings. Both came off with ease:

The OEM fuel filter on the passenger side pulled up and out of the tank to access the attachments. The video breaks down how to remove each of the four connections I needed to remove:

Once everything is removed, the fuel pump on the driver's side can be pulled out so we can put in the new Fuel-It! unit:

At this point, the OEM pump assembly is removed from the car. Only the original filter assembly remains:

Here's a comparison of the two fuel pump assemblies, barely any differences with the OEM unit on top and the new Fuel-It! unit on the bottom:

Here's a mock up of where the new Fuel-It! unit will sit:

I took the advice of another thread I read and wrapped an old clothes hanger around the wiring of the new fuel pump assembly so I could easily route them over the hump of the middle of the car:

Got it in a matter of seconds:

Pulling the wires through to the passenger side opening so we can reattach the fuel filter assembly:

Broke back out the locking ring tool and cleaned everything up to try and avoid any long term gas smells in the cabin:

Seat reinstalled:

And with the dog cover over my back seats, who would suspect anything. "Who was speeding officer? Us?"

And here's a better sound clip of the exhaust tone with just ***, DCI, JB4. Love how it sounds and how quiet it is in the cabin at cruising speeds.

https://youtu.be/JBxwUty5tXg

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-04-2015 at 08:00 AM..
(#15)
Old

Default 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM

After installing my Fuel-It! Stage 2 upgrade, I was interested in upping my E85 concentrations and running one of the back end flashes. I secured a battery charger, a windows computer, and once my BT Cable arrived, I was ready to go.

I caught a bit of a snag when the BB software identified my ECU as the 0IJC0S software, but after some quick searching I discovered that this software accepts the MSD81 flash. Initial read took about 80 minutes.

Read complete:

Made a copy of my original BIN everywhere. Sent one to my emails, saved a few on the desktop, and loaded a few into Google Drive. Then cued up the RACE flash (I may get the E85 and 60%+ concentrations here shortly, but want to make sure everything is operatingly smoothly with the RACE flash first).

19 minutes later and the flash was complete:

Using the ethanol tester provided by Fuel-It!, I tested some of the E85 I had picked up on my way home from work the past week and it was indeed still the summer blend. E85 and not E70. If you look closely, you can see the clarity stopping around the E85 mark on the tube.

Had about a half of tank of 93 octane, and added 5 gallons of E85 to start.

Took it out for the first spin and unfortunately encountered a misfire code: 29CF Misfirings, Cylinder 3. I changed the plugs about 2,000 miles ago, and the coils have about 130,000 miles of usage on them, so I'm leaning towards installing six new coils to fix this issue and avoid any in the future.

(#16)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000
...I'm leaning towards installing six new coils to fix this issue and avoid any in the future.
Don't lean, run that direction! It will only make your life easier. Curious to see how the race map goes for you.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#17)
Old

Default 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Don't lean, run that direction! It will only make your life easier. Curious to see how the race map goes for you.

Evan
Seems like the most logical explanation. And I wouldn't want to replace only coil #3 while the other five are ticking time bombs. I'll report back on if this solves my problems here in a few days.

UPDATE: Ordered 6 new coils from ECS tuning. Should be here Friday.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 04-02-2015 at 08:53 AM..
(#18)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M Sport
Default walnut blast - 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM

with that many miles have you considered doing a walnut blast?
(#19)
Old

Default 04-03-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong
with that many miles have you considered doing a walnut blast?
Absolutely. That's on my short list of things to do before summer rolls around.

(#20)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-04-2015, 07:27 AM

Awesome write up...well done!

Picture of the dog...priceless! Too funny!

Good luck with the coils...hopefully that fixes your misfire issue on cylinder 3...if not, swap those injectors and see if the problem follows.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#21)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 04-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Love the thread )

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#22)
Old

Default 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM

I had to wait an extra day for my new coils from ECS to arrive, but the wait was well worth the quick fix.

It only took about 15 minutes to change all 6 coils. And problem solved. After changing all my coils and changing to the 4/2 option I was able to hold boost in each map -- as little as 8 in map 4 and as much as 16-18 in map 5. Car runs flawlessly all the way to redline. I'm probably running around E25 right now so I'll get some logs, make sure everything is kosher, and then start upping the ethanol concentration. Running half E85 and half 93 will be the ultimate goal. Now that my injectors, lpfp, plugs and coils are all relatively new, hopefully the misfires will get lost for a while.

A intake valve cleaning and some other miscellaneous maintenance items should keep me tied over for the foreseeable future. Logs coming soon! Until then...

(#23)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 04-04-2015, 02:48 PM

congrats!

easy solution, its good you didnot have to deal with injectors

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#24)
Old

Default 04-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan-i
congrats!

easy solution, its good you didnot have to deal with injectors
Luckily they were replaced around 98k miles so they're fairly low mileage. Hopefully I won't have to worry about those for the rest of the time I own the vehicle.

(#25)
Old

Car: 2010 535
Default 04-05-2015, 12:12 AM

track times or dynos?

2012 550i M sport - JB stage 1