N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page *NEW* hybrid turbo stage 3 kit MM Performance Parts
View Poll Results: Would you buy these turbos?
Yes 127 80.89%
No 30 19.11%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

(#26)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM

Everyone's products suck, I sh!t gold. That is all.
(#27)
Old

Car: 07 335i coupe
Default 02-24-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spxxx
Because he was referenced by the OP...

Tony, good job taking the high road on this one after some blatant strikes at your product by the OP. I was expecting you to blow up haha... PM me so we can setup a time for me to come see the new shop.
its because he already bashed the OP on Facebook. Op came back with vengeance.
(#28)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 02-25-2015, 03:56 PM

What are your thoughts on the stock turbine trying to spin a significantly larger/heavier compressor?

How are your charge ***** "optimized"?
(#29)
Old

Car: 335i Cp TiAg JB3 DCI
Default 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Ferocity,
the stock turbine is Tiny, exducer is 35mm. If you go to 15T the inducer on the 15T compressor is 42mm. Ideally you want these numbers to be equal for a well balanced turbo and depending if you want to bias for faster spool you make the turbine a bit smaller or for the maximum top end power at the most boost the compressor will support then bias the turbine wheel a bit bigger. 15T to stock turbine is 20% larger is too much. the absolute most I would try is 15% and that is maximizing the spool while sacrificing top end. 19T and 20T are 29% and 30% larger than stock turbine which there is no way that works. even 15% larger is pushing it. My turbo is 14% larger than the turbine and I dont know how exactly it will perform until I tune WGDC and test the top end power. If it doesnt work in R&D, I will go with the HL turbine which I have a design for it ready to go. A 20T to HL turbine is only 2% larger so great for top end but will spool slower. when the compressor wheel gets alot larger than the turbine (15%+) you have to have a ton of back pressure to drive the compressor wheel to the speed you need to generate the high boost levels you want out of the compressor wheel. General rule of thumb with turbos is you dont want to exceed 2.5 to 1 as the very max back pressure to boost pressure ratio. Excessive backpressure can lead to blown turbines, premature wear on bearings, over heating of turbo and power robbing reversion of exhaust gasses into the cylinders leading to detonation in the cylinders. the biggest wheel I would run on stock turbines is a 14T like VTT has but we have not seen any measurable gains from VTT stage 1 and stock turbos likely because of the inlet restriction not allowing any gains on those turbos. If inlets were upgraded on VTT stage 1, I believe they would perform better than stock turbos. When the inlets is a choke point, it drives the compressor pressure ratio way up to achieve the same boost in turn driving up WGDC and backpressure as a result and taps out the turbos much quicker. Would be interesting to see VTT stage 1 with upgraded inlets on a max tune effort (wedge red pill tune??) with full bolt on E85 and meth and see what they can do.

Charge ***** are optimized as providing the largest possible inlet flow area allowed for twin hybrids within the packaging restrictions in our engine bay. This is importatn to reduce the pressure ratio of the turbo and allow you to reach the max theoretical boost pressure of the turbo while still keeping EGT and turbine backpressure in check at max turbo boost.

Stock Turbo 500whp 540wtq with MMP inlets
http://mmp-e.com
  • inlets (high flow and one piece silicone)
  • high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#30)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksilver
Ferocity,
the stock turbine is Tiny, exducer is 35mm. If you go to 15T the inducer on the 15T compressor is 42mm. Ideally you want these numbers to be equal for a well balanced turbo and depending if you want to bias for faster spool you make the turbine a bit smaller or for the maximum top end power at the most boost the compressor will support then bias the turbine wheel a bit bigger. 15T to stock turbine is 20% larger is too much. the absolute most I would try is 15% and that is maximizing the spool while sacrificing top end. 19T and 20T are 29% and 30% larger than stock turbine which there is no way that works. even 15% larger is pushing it. My turbo is 14% larger than the turbine and I dont know how exactly it will perform until I tune WGDC and test the top end power. If it doesnt work in R&D, I will go with the HL turbine which I have a design for it ready to go. A 20T to HL turbine is only 2% larger so great for top end but will spool slower. when the compressor wheel gets alot larger than the turbine (15%+) you have to have a ton of back pressure to drive the compressor wheel to the speed you need to generate the high boost levels you want out of the compressor wheel. General rule of thumb with turbos is you dont want to exceed 2.5 to 1 as the very max back pressure to boost pressure ratio. Excessive backpressure can lead to blown turbines, premature wear on bearings, over heating of turbo and power robbing reversion of exhaust gasses into the cylinders leading to detonation in the cylinders. the biggest wheel I would run on stock turbines is a 14T like VTT has but we have not seen any measurable gains from VTT stage 1 and stock turbos likely because of the inlet restriction not allowing any gains on those turbos. If inlets were upgraded on VTT stage 1, I believe they would perform better than stock turbos. When the inlets is a choke point, it drives the compressor pressure ratio way up to achieve the same boost in turn driving up WGDC and backpressure as a result and taps out the turbos much quicker. Would be interesting to see VTT stage 1 with upgraded inlets on a max tune effort (wedge red pill tune??) with full bolt on E85 and meth and see what they can do.

Charge ***** are optimized as providing the largest possible inlet flow area allowed for twin hybrids within the packaging restrictions in our engine bay. This is importatn to reduce the pressure ratio of the turbo and allow you to reach the max theoretical boost pressure of the turbo while still keeping EGT and turbine backpressure in check at max turbo boost.

I have another post "$4000 to spend" asking about what to do with $4k to get the most HP for my buck.....that being said I COULD be going the route of getting the VTT inlets on the Stage 1's which I have. So sometime soon I could be posting some dyno runs....all depending on which route I go with my $4K

2007 BMW 335i...M2 exhaust...Macht Schnell DP's...VRSF 7" FMIC...MM Performance inlet system.....VRSF Chargpipe with Tial BOV....MFACTORY LSD....MHD e60. Wedge tunING.........RB Stealths......N20 Tmap upgrade.....Steve Stage 2 450......H&R Race lowering springs...MT ET Streets 265/40/18 rear.....NGK 5992
(#31)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Hi, now i have something like VTT stage1 turbos, but my turbine wheels are fully stock not clipped. The compressor wheels are 40 inducer 54 eksducer GTX 11 blade billet. Full bolt on without meth and i don't have acces to e85 my car managed to produce 444whp and 627wNM torque only on pump 94 octane gas with 125 IAT. After 3-4 days i will have a copy of the TFT inlets, but only the inlets without their CP and up pipe after i allready have Forge CP with BOV. After that Lukeperformance will retune my car and i'll go to the dyno again. I'm planning to get meth injection in the next month and than tune again, dyno again. The car is AT.
(#32)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Gix, where did you buy your upgraded inlets TFT style?

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#33)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 05:58 PM

A guy builds them for me. Pics from before a few hours, the front pipe is allmost ready only had to weld the pipe for the PCV on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by gixercho; 02-25-2015 at 06:05 PM..
(#34)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Oh wow, those are pretty close to TFT copies, mine are similar concept to TFT but quite different in material and execution

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#35)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 06:47 PM

Fast335i, so here are my thoughts on how best to spend money on a stock car. Going from my expiriance on how I got to 456whp/521wtq.

jB4-$500 (I used proceed but would reccomend Jb4 now due to support and multi cylinder timing logging)
***-$250
Intake pipe kit-$600
Meth injection-$300
CX Intercooler-$200
255 inline walbro-$100
Tune it for as much E85 as possible (100% if you can), target 20psi to 6000rpm,
Make sure to adjust fuel scaler on backend to 1.3-1.5 depending on logs. Log log log to make sure your tune is good if self tuning, if not pay someone $200 that knows how to tune it to tune it for you on the street, not on a dynojet dyno, loads are totally different and maxed out on the dyno can mess your car up on the street, seen it happen to a lot of N54 owners that do this.

So that is $1950. I actually did it with DCIs but knowing now how bad the stock ***** are, I would spend the extra $500 instead of throwing away $100 on DCIs that you will need to replace later.

This can get you close to 500whp if not more depending on how the inlets perform on stock turbos on the Dyno (tbd)

For more power up to 600whp
450 walbro - $400
My turbo upgrade in the future for $3500 or so if you already own my inlet pipe kit,
TFT charge pipe-$150
Knock off tial 50mm BOV-$50 ( if you clean and setup correctly work just as good)
Intercooler up pipe-$100
100% e85 and meth

For more power to 750-800whp or so
Dial up boost on turbos
Dual walbro 450s - $700
Tune it up, 100% e85 and meth

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#36)
Old

Default 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM

If the guy played a little more i'm sure you will not be able to tell the differnce but those are 99% same as TFT. Yours are very good too.
(#37)
Old

Default 02-26-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast335i
I have another post "$4000 to spend" asking about what to do with $4k to get the most HP for my buck.....that being said I COULD be going the route of getting the VTT inlets on the Stage 1's which I have. So sometime soon I could be posting some dyno runs....all depending on which route I go with my $4K
You have all the supporting mods so all you need is a proper turbo upgrade and proper inlets. Proper means no VTT. Then just get the SteveAZ Fuel upgrade that you need for your power level.
(#38)
Old

Car: 07 e92 M/T
Default 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM

any updates on this yet?

FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
12.23 @ 118.9mph (RBs)
2.3 60' lol (single pass night, bog shifting)
(#39)
Old

Default 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Not much really. Rear turbo is being manufactured. I started with just the front turbo to do a proof on concept really as I didn't know if everything was going to work out. Will have a better update in 2-3 weeks I think. I will say I am buying all the pipework for the chargepipes this week so should be able to fab it up in a couple weeks and then will have an update on that. thanks for the interest!

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#40)
Old

Default very interesting - 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM

I was going this exact route only with custom manifolds until I found the path I am on now. I dont knock it at all. For the money it is the way to go. I would ask one thing. what are you doing with the exhaust side of the compressor to make room for the TD04H components? seems like a tight squeeze in the stock exhaust half of the snail.

Coming soon.
(#41)
Old

Default 03-09-2015, 02:04 PM

What path are you on?
I am using TD04L turbine this go around but TD04HL turbine can be used with some more modifications to the turbine housing.

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#42)
Old

Default 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Cant say right now. On all three forums i will be releasing it all soon enough. I can say a reallllllllllllllllllllly big deal walked into my life. and it will change the way people tune this engine after the results are posted.

Coming soon.
(#43)
Old

Default 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Sounds exciting! Cool! Weren't you doing the TFT inlets on stock turbos also? Did you ever Dyno it?

• high flow outlets
  • turbo development
(#44)
Old

Default 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM

Selling the turbos tonight, BNIB. and Sent Brian his TFT inlets back. you will see why soon enough, I had no doubt i would have made 625hp on that setup however.

Coming soon.
(#45)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-10-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorbmwpower
Selling the turbos tonight, BNIB. and Sent Brian his TFT inlets back. you will see why soon enough, I had no doubt i would have made 625hp on that setup however.
No hints at all? Sounds like this setup is going to have enough power to send you out of this worlds "atmosphere"

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#46)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Cant say right now. On all three forums i will be releasing it all soon enough. I can say a reallllllllllllllllllllly big deal walked into my life. and it will change the way people tune this engine after the results are posted.
You the guy who landed some sort of big sponsorship? With who? and how? lol
(#47)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Very curious to see what you have in store...

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#48)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
Very curious to see what you have in store...
Whatever it is, he is excelling at generating interest.

2009 E90 335i
(#49)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-10-2015, 10:55 AM

If I had to guess it has to do with CP-E...

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#50)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Talking your car fast before the work has been done has a way of backfiring and creating amusingly ironic situations.

I wish you the best and hope you succeed with your project, but all I've seen so far is talk and hype on here and BB. I would assume the 3rd forum you mention being on is no different.

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF