N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335I
Default N54 Twin Comp turbo setup - 07-19-2014, 09:40 AM

I'm getting ready to build my own twin turbo setup. As of now I have the following item's and the rest are pretty much ordered and awaiting arrival.

SPECS:
2 X Comp turbo - CT2- 4856, 63AR, Oil & Water Cooled, Surge compressor housing 3" V-band exhaust, 360 Journal bearing.

2 X Tial 38mm MVS wastegates

2 X AR Design Head Flanges

N20 Map Sensor

BMS N20 Map sensor harness

3" to 2.5" reducers

2 X 3" 304SS "UJ" Mandrel bends for DP's

10 X 1.5" Sch10 90 Degree Weld els

7 X 1.5" Sch10 45 degree Weld els

3' 1.5" sch10 Straight pipe

2 X T3 Merge Collector

RB Turbo Coolant adapters

RB Turbo Oil Adapters

As much as the singles turbo's have progressed and proven to work. I still like having the twin setup and o2's in the proper place. The setup will be a top mount and bottom mount, giving ample space below and the bling factor of the top mount.

As for the turbo choice, it's an entry level turbo that can be upgraded in the future. It's listed as 375 hp so 750 potential in total.

Current Car Setup:
JB4 G5- With 2 step launch control
BMS Catch can
Stage 2+ Spec clutch
Spec SMFW
Riss Racing DP's
Roc Euro DCI's
Meth Kit- BMS FSB, Stainless lines, 1.5gallon Trunk mount
Inline Fuel pump
Android Head unit with JB4 Mobile for logging
Forge Diverter Valves
BMS Chargepipe
CX Racing intercooler
Magna flow custom exhaust
Meyle Tie rods ends
H&R Race springs
Bilstien Touring edition shocks
MFactory LSD

I will update this thread as the build progresses & my work schedule permits.
Attached Images

Last edited by NJrep335I; 08-12-2014 at 08:20 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Wow! subscribed!

2010 135i 6MT Jet Black | M-Sport | Michelin PSS 255/225 | Whiteline RSFB | Dinan Camber Plates | M3 Front Arms | JB4 G5 ISO w/MHD E85 Flash | E50 | BMS DCI | VRSF DP | VRSF CP w/ Tial | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 1 | NGK 5992 | TC Kline SA | VMR v710
(#3)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i
Default 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Good luck with that
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Looks good man, this is not going to be easy at all considering the space. I commend you for going and doing this on your own, it is definitely not east. Nice choice in turbo's . I have Comp 6465 on my N54.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
Looks good man, this is not going to be easy at all considering the space. I commend you for going and doing this on your own, it is definitely not east. Nice choice in turbo's . I have Comp 6465 on my N54.

Thanks bro!! It sure won't be easy but I've been researching for the past 1-1/2 years and finally decided it's time to pull the trigger.

I'm no noob when it comes to serious tasks I.E. Motor swaps, Clutches, Conversions from auto to manual Ect... but It will probably be the hardest thing I've done in the way of performance upgrades.

The choice of Comp turbo's did have something to do with your mention of how they could customize anything you wanted. This worked well since my original choices didn't have oil/water with surge and 3" vband.

(#6)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Definitely subscribed. Super excited to see what you manage with this and how, well, repeatable/replicatable it is.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Added better Pictures!!
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Hope you can get it all squeezed together! Should make for an interesting setup.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 07-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hope you can get it all squeezed together! Should make for an interesting setup.
It will certainly be a tight fit but I think it should work. Gonna need your help to dial it in once completed.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Yeah no problem on that front! Just keep the o2 sensors separated by bank and we'll be fine.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#11)
Old

Default 07-19-2014, 10:59 PM

This is efin incredible!!!! This is exactly what I want to do in a year or two. I hope you get this figured out! You sir are a superhero.

2009 135i - Berk Tech. Race Axleback - Injen Short Ram Intake - BMS JB4 G5 ISO - CXRacing FMIC - ER Chargpipe - BMS Straight Down ***** - Walboro Inline Fuel Pump - Spec Stage 2+ Clutch - Spec SMFW - BMS Dual Meth Kit - BMS Backend Flash
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-20-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrep335I
Thanks bro!! It sure won't be easy but I've been researching for the past 1-1/2 years and finally decided it's time to pull the trigger.

I'm no noob when it comes to serious tasks I.E. Motor swaps, Clutches, Conversions from auto to manual Ect... but It will probably be the hardest thing I've done in the way of performance upgrades.

The choice of Comp turbo's did have something to do with your mention of how they could customize anything you wanted. This worked well since my original choices didn't have oil/water with surge and 3" vband.

Definitely man, everything looks good and you got the right material. Now just to fit it all in there give the space. Patience, patience, patience is all I have to say when fabricating.

Glad I was an influence to your turbo choice. I hope they work as well for you as they have for me. I love their customization and their pricing. It is very fair considering you can get exactly the same thing from competitors.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#13)
Old

Default 3" "UJ" ***** arrived!! - 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM

My "UJ" ***** arrived.
Attached Images

(#14)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM

2008 e93 MODS: BMS JB4 G5 ISO, bms trunk, RB PVC, Lukeperformance flash, mount meth kit, OCC, ******* ********, VRSF 7" FMIC, charge pipe, DCI, Alpina flash,
(#15)
Old

Default 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM

How much extra space is in the 335 engine bay over the 135? Would it be feasible to run a top&bottom mount setup like this in a 135 bay? I seem to remember some folks running into spacing issues on big turbo setups.

Cant wait to see how this turns out. Thanks for keeping us updated with pictures!
(#16)
Old

Default 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
How much extra space is in the 335 engine bay over the 135? Would it be feasible to run a top&bottom mount setup like this in a 135 bay? I seem to remember some folks running into spacing issues on big turbo setups.

Cant wait to see how this turns out. Thanks for keeping us updated with pictures!
I'm not to sure how much less room the 135i has compared to the 3. In my view if you can install a top mount than I think you may also have room to squeeze a bottom in there also. It might just take time and patience.
(#17)
Old

Default 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM

What made you chose those wastegates? And why do you need a. N20 map sensor? I'm currently trying to source parts for the same setup. What I have in mind is looking a little different than what you have but same concept. Do you think that turbo is going to be the biggest that can fit underneath without causing problems? Can't wait to see you start this. Mine won't be done for a long time still. Hopefully by the end of next year beginning of 2016. Slow but steady. As I don't have a welder and haven't welded since highschool there is going to be tons of learning as I go as well. Can't rush. It needs to be right.

2009 135i - Berk Tech. Race Axleback - Injen Short Ram Intake - BMS JB4 G5 ISO - CXRacing FMIC - ER Chargpipe - BMS Straight Down ***** - Walboro Inline Fuel Pump - Spec Stage 2+ Clutch - Spec SMFW - BMS Dual Meth Kit - BMS Backend Flash
(#18)
Old

Default 08-12-2014, 07:50 PM

I picked the 38mm wastegates based on two factors. 1) Overall space taken up by the MVS, 2) appropriate size for turbos being used.

The N20 Map sensor is needed since I expect to push my boost over 21psi which the stock N54 Map sensor is limited at. I believe the N20 is limited at 36psi, hence Terry's update to the Single turbo mapping.

I can't comment on the Turbo sizing/ space constraints yet since I still have my concerns of passing the 3" DP from the top past the bottom turbo. With some creativity and modification to the Coolant piping I think it should work well.

Things are coming together at work and I can final put in for some Vacation time to start the build.

Keep planning and planning, I must have change my mind on many things over the past 2 years. At one point, thought of sneaking a supercharger in the mix and keep the stock twins, triple charged... Good luck and stay tuned, build is right around the corner!!
(#19)
Old

Default 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Thanks for all the info! You need to get a film crew. Haha.

(#20)
Old

Default 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM

A film crew would be nice. Although they might catch me cussing and swearing a bit to much, lol.

Here are pics of the RB turbo Coolant and Oil fittings. I have everything now but the stainless lines and rubber coolant lines for reservoir relocation. I think I might buy them as I go.
Attached Images

(#21)
Old

Default 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM

what is the total spent on parts for this?
(#22)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 08-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Wow! Can't wait to see the end result

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#23)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 08-14-2014, 01:50 PM

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#24)
Old

Car: bmw
Default 08-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrep335I
Here are pics of the RB turbo Coolant and Oil fittings.
Solo cups, beer mug, margarita glasses and pills. Looks like some fun!
(#25)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi
Default 08-14-2014, 02:25 PM

Weld el's work great for exhaust manifolds. What wire are you using with them? Be careful on the welds, that is one of the most important parts. You don't want them falling apart from improper heat or poor penetration. That is why you see most of them TIG'd and it looks like you are using a MIG. It can be done, you just have to be very careful.

Post up some more pics of your progress! And great job tackling a project like this, that is how you learn.