N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 91 octane testing w/ pump flash - 09-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Had a chance today for a bit of dyno tuning with a mostly stock automatic using the latest JB4 & pump gas back end flash maps. The test car has an intercooler, DCI, and is otherwise stock. Testing was done on 91 octane (technically probably closer to 91.5 due to a gallon or two of residual E40 before the 14 gallon 91 fill up).

With the pump gas back end flash we suggest map 1 for 91 octane and map 2 for 93 octane. I decided to give both a whirl and was pleased with the results compared to the map 4 baseline. I also did some higher torque testing not shown on these charts but there is more work to go there so we'll leave that for another day.

Note with the pump gas flash Map 5 can also be used but it's not a dyno friendly map.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Damn T

That is GREAT for us AT

Keep it up, the testing that is, lol

2008 BMW 535i
JB4 G5, BMS Pump Flash, ( Updated FW ), DCI,
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
ER CP
E60 DP
450 HP / 480 TQ ( when running AEM 320, 50% E85 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z_sELokzk
(#3)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Holy crap 400 WHP with just FMIC on pump!!! What about map 5, what do you mean it's not dyno friendly? That's what I've been running.

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbho3k
Holy crap 400 WHP with just FMIC on pump!!! What about map 5, what do you mean it's not dyno friendly? That's what I've been running.
I though the ~100rw gain on pump gas mapping was pretty stout.

On map 5 if you run it on the dyno (e.g. less airflow) expect less power than you get with the same map on the road.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 09 135i
Default 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM

so E40(or less) users will benefit most from the pump flash still? with map 1,2,5 all being options correct?
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM

So with the flash one could run Map2 with just a tune and 93? That's amazing, especially if you are getting 400rw with Cali 91 and Map1!
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Sure, mixing in some E85 or even NOS MMT octane boost both will help with the pump flash loaded if using map 2.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM

School me - how do I get this and what do I need to upload it?

2007 E90 335i - Sparkling Graphite Metallic - JB4, Mr.5 Intake, VRSF 7" FMIC, RB PCV Valve, BMS OCC, Evolution Racewerkes Sport Oil Cooler, Cyba Intake Scoops and Quad Exhaust Tips, M3 UCA/LCA, 17x9 and 17x9.5 Apex Arc-8
(#9)
Old

Car: bmw e90 335i
Default 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Sure, mixing in some E85 or even NOS MMT octane boost both will help with the pump flash loaded if using map 2.
would some e85 help with map 5 too?
(#10)
Old

Car: 09 135i
Default 09-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney
School me - how do I get this and what do I need to upload it?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzim89
would some e85 help with map 5 too?
E85 has a higher knock resistance than pump alone and generally helps any situation!

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: 09 '335i X-Drive
Default 09-20-2013, 01:52 PM

So let's say I live in WA state and can get 92.... Map 1 or 2???
(#13)
Old

Car: bmw e90 335i
Default 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasorjb
So let's say I live in WA state and can get 92.... Map 1 or 2???
Log n see
(#14)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 09-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Sweet baby Jesus that's intense. I am astounded that merely transferring the fueling duties back to the DME and freeing up the JB to handle boost can free up this kind of power. That is all that's going on, right?

It is unreal that I dynoed in the 380s with e50 (and awkward trims) and could potentially get 400ishhp from straight 93oct - and on map 2 no less! How does Map 5 react to the pump flash? Would *** yield anything greater with this flash?

. . . I'll be ordering my BT cable right now . . .
(#15)
Old

Car: 08 135i FBO
Default 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM

The intro guides mention ********* should be installed for MAP 2 w 93 octane.

We have 94 up here in Canuckistan, safe on otherwise stock N54 on Map2? Without backend flash, with backend flash?
(#16)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 09-21-2013, 04:04 AM

^ i question that too im e40 on just map 5...would map 2 help any

09 335i
jb4 g5
dci
bms DP
er intercooler
er chargepipe
E85 flash
stage 2 fuel it
e60
(#17)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Also want to know if map 5 is still the best map for performance with e85 blends and bolt ons
(#18)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default JB4 91 octane testing w/ pump flash - 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM

can the updated firmwares for the jb4 g5 do the same as the backend flash ?

im confused as to why i need a back end flash when terry updates the firmwares 26.6 on map 1 or map 2 cant make the power the backend flash does ??
i have ********* intake and intercooler ??
(#19)
Old

Car: 2013 e92 (LCI) M-Sport N55
Default 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Just to clarify - this is for N54 only, right? Not N55

2013 BMW 335i M-Sport E92 LCI
2012 BMW X5 XDrive35D
2010 BMW 335i E90 (Retired)
2007 BMW 335i E90 (Retired)
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-23-2013, 08:39 AM

N54 only. Flash directions are in the BB flash sticky in this section.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-24-2013, 05:24 AM

Where can I get the best price on the bt cable. My car has a production date of 08/2006 can the flash work on my car ?
(#22)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 09-24-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
With the pump gas back end flash we suggest map 1 for 91 octane and map 2 for 93 octane.
Terry, was this comment in regards to Dyno testing only? Map 5 with the BMS flash/G5 is still the preferred setup correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
Where can I get the best price on the bt cable. My car has a production date of 08/2006 can the flash work on my car ?
I think BMS is selling a SINGLE vin BT cable for $179ish.

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|

Last edited by bigdaddycain; 09-24-2013 at 06:05 AM..
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Map 5 can still be used. Although, I personally prefer the fixed maps w/ the pump gas back end flash.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: 08 135i FBO
Default 09-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Map 5 can still be used. Although, I personally prefer the fixed maps w/ the pump gas back end flash.
Map 2 safe with no DP and the BMS pump gas flash and 93/94 octane?
(#25)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 09-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I always thought you preferred Map 5. I guess that was for cars without the BMS Flash?

switching to Map 2 when I get home....

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|