N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
impaaale impaaale is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2015
Car: BMW 335i Coupe -07
Default Rought idle power loss, checked everything PLEASE HELP - 08-16-2020, 11:57 AM

Hi guys, first i wanna apologize for my english as i am from sweden.

I got a problem with my car which is getting me crazy..

So i drove another day and the engine started shaking so i stopped, i checked all the coils and felt so everything was good and started it again.
Car went normal but felt a little more powerless..

As i drove home the same thing happened but it never got back to normal.
This happened after i installed an helix overdrive.

I am not getting no codes at all thats the worst thing so i dont really know what the problem is.

Im going, DP, IC, oil catch can, stage 2 lpfp, helix overdrive, pure stage 2 cast, tialbov, PR coils etc the normal things when u go for 22-23 psi custom maps.

I have checked my injectors and cleaned them.
I have tried my original ignition coils and the RP ones.
I have switched the spark plugs to new ones, (they where only 2 months old but i had nothing more to check)
I have checked my lpfp and everything seemed to be fine.
I have deleted the helix overdrive and tried without it.
I have checked my solenoids and also cleaned them.
I have checked my lambda but they where fine.
I have checked for leaks but not a single leak.
I have checked my mosfets and they where fine to.
I have checked the comprision in the engine and thats good to.
And i have ofcourse tried to go for stock map.

Still this shaking and power loss, its most at 1k rpm when i idle.

Anyone has had this experience?
I dont really know what to do more, the most anoying thing is that i have no codes at all?
Please help guys anyone who knows what could be causing this

i hope u understand my english...

Stay safe!
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: 08 335Ci
Default 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Read through this Then follow their instructions to reset your adaptions.

It does make a difference.


No matter how fast I go there's always someone slower in front of me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Jet Ski.

'10 E92 335 M Sport, JB-4 G5 ISO, 3" CPE Charge pipe, WMI w/dual CM 5 nozzles, 3.5 Tmap, ARM Relocated Inlets (don't do it), VSRF Outlet, BEF, Front Strut Brace, SS brake lines, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Anti-lag, OCC. Escort Max 360

Totaled by a careless driver:
'08 E92 335, M sport option
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
dcafs dcafs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2008
Car: BMW 135i Coupe
Default 08-17-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci
Read through this Then follow their instructions to reset your adaptions.

It does make a difference.
These articles refer to the European N53 engine variant which runs in stratified mode fuel injection, and how the NOx sensor and NOx converter can have an impact on fuel adaptations resulting in rough running engines

Seems like stratified mode was removed for the North American market due to high sulphur content in our fuel.

I don't think that the N54 engine uses stratified charge, nor do the North American variants have a NOx sensor/converter.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: 08 335Ci
Default 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs
These articles refer to the European N53 engine variant which runs in stratified mode fuel injection, and how the NOx sensor and NOx converter can have an impact on fuel adaptations resulting in rough running engines

Seems like stratified mode was removed for the North American market due to high sulphur content in our fuel.

I don't think that the N54 engine uses stratified charge, nor do the North American variants have a NOx sensor/converter.
The OP is from Sweden, I believe that's still in Europe.

Also if you read through the articles, it's for the MSD80 DME, same one used on the 'early' N54's. I did the reset on my MSD81 DME and there was a noticeable improvement in idle and low speed throttle response.

Why not try it? It's a couple hours of controlled driving and about 1/2 tank of gas and if it cures your rough idle / running, it's a lot cheaper then replacing coils, plugs and injectors with no results.

My reasoning for suggesting this is: by adding the helix he may have rail pressure reading that conflicted with his stored fuel trims.


No matter how fast I go there's always someone slower in front of me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Jet Ski.

'10 E92 335 M Sport, JB-4 G5 ISO, 3" CPE Charge pipe, WMI w/dual CM 5 nozzles, 3.5 Tmap, ARM Relocated Inlets (don't do it), VSRF Outlet, BEF, Front Strut Brace, SS brake lines, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Anti-lag, OCC. Escort Max 360

Totaled by a careless driver:
'08 E92 335, M sport option
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
albertc albertc is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 190
Join Date: Nov 2011
Car: 2007 335i
Default 08-17-2020, 09:53 AM

make sure you don't have any vacuum lose
Example: line on the side of the throttle body, etc. You should have replaced cams and crankshaft position sensors just in case ( most likely not the problem )


JB4 flash with JB4, 4.0 bar sensor, DocR 6870, Race InterC, FuelIT stage 3 (525), Helix OverDrv 3x, Phoenix Intake with PI (750cc) with BMS controller, PrRW coil pack kit, WaveTrc Diff. E85
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
dcafs dcafs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2008
Car: BMW 135i Coupe
Default 08-17-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci
The OP is from Sweden, I believe that's still in Europe.

Also if you read through the articles, it's for the MSD80 DME, same one used on the 'early' N54's. I did the reset on my MSD81 DME and there was a noticeable improvement in idle and low speed throttle response.

Why not try it? It's a couple hours of controlled driving and about 1/2 tank of gas and if it cures your rough idle / running, it's a lot cheaper then replacing coils, plugs and injectors with no results.

My reasoning for suggesting this is: by adding the helix he may have rail pressure reading that conflicted with his stored fuel trims.
I did read the articles

I went even deeper and the author indicated that resetting adaptations is only a temporary solution if the underlying cause is not addressed.....which in his view was a faulty NOx problem affecting the ability of the DME to stabilize ongoing fuel adaptations for individual cylinders. Over time this can lead to rough idle, bad lumpy cold starts, jerky engine behaviour and loss of power and fuel efficiency because the stratified injection adaptation cycle stops completely when the NOx system is in a fault condition which allows fuel adaptations to get out of normal ranges over time.

Makes no difference that it was MSD80......the NOx issue is a European feature. So maybe it is relevant for the OP, but it does not apply to the North American market.

If you post advice like this you need to mention that it does not apply to all.....sends people on a wild goose chase looking for their NOx sensor/converter.

This forum is created by U.S. based company and many of it's members are North American.

Resetting adaptations is common advice on these forums and while I don't disagree that it can work in certain situations, it often is temporary and the same issues come back over time requiring more adaptation resets.

The author's point was that adaptations are designed to occur in order to keep things running smooth and within normal operating tolerances.....if you are constantly having to periodically reset them, then you have not found the underlying cause of the imbalance.

Last edited by dcafs; 08-17-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: 08 335Ci
Default 08-17-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs
I did read the articles

I went even deeper and the author indicated that resetting adaptations is only a temporary solution if the underlying cause is not addressed.....which in his view was a faulty NOx problem affecting the ability of the DME to stabilize ongoing fuel adaptations for individual cylinders. Over time this can lead to rough idle, bad lumpy cold starts, jerky engine behaviour and loss of power and fuel efficiency because the stratified injection adaptation cycle stops completely when the NOx system is in a fault condition which allows fuel adaptations to get out of normal ranges over time.

Makes no difference that it was MSD80......the NOx issue is a European feature. So maybe it is relevant for the OP, but it does not apply to the North American market.

If you post advice like this you need to mention that it does not apply to all.....sends people on a wild goose chase looking for their NOx sensor/converter.

This forum is created by U.S. based company and many of it's members are North American.

Resetting adaptations is common advice on these forums and while I don't disagree that it can work in certain situations, it often is temporary and the same issues come back over time requiring more adaptation resets.

The author's point was that adaptations are designed to occur in order to keep things running smooth and within normal operating tolerances.....if you are constantly having to periodically reset them, then you have not found the underlying cause of the imbalance.
I wish this COVID BS would end. The longer it lasts the bitchier and more confrontational people seem to get.

You missed where it's said if you replaced fuel pressure sensors, O2 sensors, injectors resetting adaptions will force the DME to relearn the new parts quicker. That is if you don't want to wait for an unknown amount of drive cycles and miles driven.

If you crave confrontation, go to Sturgis and hold up an ANTIFA sign.


No matter how fast I go there's always someone slower in front of me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Jet Ski.

'10 E92 335 M Sport, JB-4 G5 ISO, 3" CPE Charge pipe, WMI w/dual CM 5 nozzles, 3.5 Tmap, ARM Relocated Inlets (don't do it), VSRF Outlet, BEF, Front Strut Brace, SS brake lines, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Anti-lag, OCC. Escort Max 360

Totaled by a careless driver:
'08 E92 335, M sport option
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
08 335Ci's Avatar
08 335Ci 08 335Ci is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: 08 335Ci
Default 08-17-2020, 10:23 PM

And I'm not your type, I'm heterosexual.


No matter how fast I go there's always someone slower in front of me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Jet Ski.

'10 E92 335 M Sport, JB-4 G5 ISO, 3" CPE Charge pipe, WMI w/dual CM 5 nozzles, 3.5 Tmap, ARM Relocated Inlets (don't do it), VSRF Outlet, BEF, Front Strut Brace, SS brake lines, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Anti-lag, OCC. Escort Max 360

Totaled by a careless driver:
'08 E92 335, M sport option
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
dcafs dcafs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2008
Car: BMW 135i Coupe
Default 08-18-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 335Ci
And I'm not your type, I'm heterosexual.
Bwahahahahaha..........OK Karen
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!'s Avatar
Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It! is offline
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 8,476
Join Date: Apr 2014
Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-18-2020, 12:59 PM

Where is the love guys?

Have you tried removing the helix?


Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com