N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2019 Navigator
Default 2019 Navigator Install - 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM

Can an expert please check this log to see how it compares with other Raptor engines?

This is Map 1 with 93 octane. It doesn't feel very strong, but maybe that's because of crummy fuel. Before the JB4 install the engine felt a bit more sluggish than it has in the past. My TrackAddict app with external precision GPS said 0-60 MPH was 5.4 seconds when it didn't feel its best. I haven't tried the Map 1 yet to compare since I just installed the JB4 this evening.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P22-M1-R1-201021-173010.csv (14.3 KB, 8 views)
(#2)
Old

Default 10-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Two 0-60 runs today in the same location, just minutes apart yielded the same results whether it's Map 0 or Map 1... 5.5 seconds.

1/4 tank of supposedly 93 octane from Sunoco, 75F, drive mode set to Excite, TCS off (but there's no wheelspin anyways with the 4WD Excite mode), and launching at about 2k RPMs.

Install was easy at least. The time-consuming part was routing the OBD connection through the firewall. It's way easier if you remove the plastic tray near the pedals to gain access. There was an unused port above one of the wire harnesses that I gently sliced through and then routed the cable above and behind the brake booster.

I may leave the foam intake manifold permanently cover off. I can't hear any difference in valvetrain noise, and it probably results in a lower IM temperature without the foam trapping in heat.
Attached Images

(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM

Record a JB4 log on map0 and map1 if you want us to check out the details!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-23-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Record a JB4 log on map0 and map1 if you want us to check out the details!
Please see attached.

This morning I could tell a difference between maps 0 and 1. Midrange torque felt a lot stronger with map 1, and I can see boost pressure is about 3.5 psi higher.

AFRs look good, but I don't have a good feel for what timing numbers should be on this engine.

Thank you Terry!
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map 0.csv (6.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv Map 1.csv (7.8 KB, 10 views)
(#5)
Old

Default 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM

Was able to put some better 93 octane fuel in. Used Map 2.

50F ambient conditions, 4WD Excite Mode, brake-torqueing at only 1500 RPM, I logged 0-60 MPH in 4.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.47 sec @ 101.7 MPH.

Not bad!
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-25-2020, 08:44 PM

Tuning looks better on map1, so should be quicker. Using a dragy to measure performance?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 10-26-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Tuning looks better on map1, so should be quicker. Using a dragy to measure performance?
It does feel quicker now, but per the logs it looks like so much timing is being pulled that I'm a bit surprised, and hence my question on this Ford engine.

Regardless, the acceleration run I did yesterday on a much cooler day proved that it's making some good power now. I'll probably get an ethanol fuel content tester and start adding a bit from the local Sheetz station that sells E50-E83 and leave it at Map 2 with a target ethanol content of around 15-20% total. For now at least

Because I use it in other vehicles around road courses, I like the TrackAddict app that interfaces with my Kiwi3 OBD2 bluetooth monitor and my Dual XGPS160. It's pretty accurate....
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM

Yes up to 30% E85 should be doable and will really boost performance!

OBDII tools will conflict with the JB4 in the OBDII port so might be the cause of your subpar performance? You need a dragy for high speed GPS. That is the most accurate setup and really inexpensive.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 10-26-2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks. Neither the JB4 nor the Kiwi3 are pass-through, so I can only have one of those devices plugged into the OBDII port at a time (I obviously have the JB4 always plugged in). But I could see that being a possibility for other OBDII devices and will keep that in mind.

The TrackAddict Pro app used in conjunction with my external Dual XGPS160 GLONASS/GPS device likely has the same accuracy as the Dragy because they both use 10 Hz GPS position sampling rates. I say "likely" because in TrackAddict you have the option of enabling the phones internal accelerometer for a more accurate start time when the vehicle begins moving. I don't know what Dragy does. The medium-end Racelogic Vboxes use 10 Hz GPS position sampling rates as well, and their higher-end $$$ inputs are 20-100 Hz. A benefit of TrackAddict is that I can use it for more than a straight line! The TrackAddict Pro app, the Kiwi3, and the XGPS160 are around $270 or so for a decent driver feedback tool
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-26-2020, 04:11 PM

As long as it's constant and high speed GPS based its probably good enough, you'd want the system to properly calculated rollout (or not include roll out in time to distance), account for slope, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: BMW M5 & Lincoln Navigator
Default 11-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack
Two 0-60 runs today in the same location, just minutes apart yielded the same results whether it's Map 0 or Map 1... 5.5 seconds.

1/4 tank of supposedly 93 octane from Sunoco, 75F, drive mode set to Excite, TCS off (but there's no wheelspin anyways with the 4WD Excite mode), and launching at about 2k RPMs.

Install was easy at least. The time-consuming part was routing the OBD connection through the firewall. It's way easier if you remove the plastic tray near the pedals to gain access. There was an unused port above one of the wire harnesses that I gently sliced through and then routed the cable above and behind the brake booster.

I may leave the foam intake manifold permanently cover off. I can't hear any difference in valvetrain noise, and it probably results in a lower IM temperature without the foam trapping in heat.
Hey man I tried for much longer then I'd care to admit to route my OBDII cable through the firewall and used your picture as a guide as to where to try to pass the cable through. Any advice or additional details on how you did it?

I'm excited to get the Navigator to where I finally wanted it. I just added a blu-ray player, HDMI switch for video games and apple TV and an aux port to get the rear screens sync'd with the sound. Was hoping to get the JB4 up and running but it got dark early.

Thanks for your post thus far!! I was completely lost for a while.
(#12)
Old

Default 11-26-2020, 08:02 AM

Glad the pics and description helped so far. Don't feel bad, the OBD wire install was a pain for me too.

Originally I undid the zip ties around the main wire loom thinking I could just route the JB4 wire alongside. I couldn't, but I forget why. That would be the ideal thing if you want to try, hopefully you'll be more successful than I was.

The main wire loom on the firewall has a small pass-through on the top of the rubber plug. It's double-walled, so you have to poke a hole from the inside going to the outside, and then the rubber cap on the outside is too thick to poke through so you'll have to slice it off with a razor blade. It was a bit nerve-racking because obviously I didn't want to nick or damage any wires, and it's in awkward locations inside and outside the cabin.

Remove the interior black panel by your feet to get better access. I originally didn't and there was no way to get in there, so just save yourself the aggravation and remove the lower panel to begin with. I think I used an Xacto knife inside to gently slice into the interior portion of the rubber grommet. Below is a pic of the interior that I took for you this morning.

Once you've got the inside cut with a few slices for the connector to pass through, I went into the engine bay and VERY CAREFULLY sliced off the end of the top rubber nipple, as close as I could to the end. Hopefully you can see from the picture in my first post.

After all that, I was ready to run the plug through, but it's a tight fit. I would fish a guide wire through and then pull your plug, otherwise it can be difficult to route through the two rubber layers. I think I even used some silicone spray after taping up the JB4 connector. Once the wire was run, I used a small rubber plug to insert inside the engine bay side to seal up the firewall again.

Good luck!

I left the foam engine cover off mine. We primarily use the Navigator for long-distance travel, so in the highly unlikey chance there was a problem with the JB4 while on the road I don't need a 10mm socket to remove the engine cover and unplug the wire harnesses. I didn't detect any difference in interior noise from the valvetrain. There's sufficient air gap and the hood has insulation so I don't think any small extra heat on the bottom of the hood will mess anything up.

Let me know how it goes! Sounds like you've done some neat mods on yours and I'd like to compare notes on what you're doing for tuning maps, reduced boost in 1st gear, fuel, etc. Sadly, I just haven't driven ours much the past few months. I did order an ethanol fuel content tester from Burger the other day to see what I have at the local Sheetz. That's the only ethanol in my area but it's getting too cold to play around with... going to have to wait for the Spring.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edit - Looking back at my first picture now I remember why you can't run the JB4 wire alongside the main loom. On the interior the rubber plug has plenty of space to undo the plastic zip tie and run the wire through, but the engine side has no space. The rubber is pretty much form-fit around the loom and I didn't want to take a chance messing with those wires. That's a big $ mistake waiting to happen.

Sure, you could haphazardly pop holes in the rubber on the top left or top right of the loom, but Ford gave us a nice place to run our JB4 wire right on top of the main loom.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mac Attack; 11-26-2020 at 01:46 PM..