N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default Random problem? Loud door chime after MHD BEF 2-min update - 10-21-2019, 06:18 PM

2008 535xi. I've had the latest BEF files since they were released. Pump_USA, no problems to date. Went in to enable cold-start noise reduction, lowered burble duration. Now when you put the key in the ignition the BMW car chime is very loud.*It's really weird.

Once the car realizes the stereo is on, the chime quiets down to a 'normal' volume. You can hear it lower volume mid chime when you put the key in.

So if the key is in the ignition, and the drivers door is open, the chime is loud when stereo is muted. But the chime is normal when the stereo is unmuted. You can play around with the mute button during the chiming and make it loud or quiet/normal.

Any ideas how to get it back to normal? I have tried various configurations of stereo muted, unmuted, unmuted with volume up... turned off cold-start noise reduction... have yet to reset all adaptations, not sure how that's related...?

How many times can one write/quick update without bricking the DME? Just doesn't seem good to keep flashing four times in one day (I don't remember if I had the stereo muted or not, the very first time I updated the BEF yesterday, thus causing this issue)

2008 535xi. BMS DCI. CP. BOV. 5" FMIC. OCC. JB4. MHD BEF. XHP. BR14's
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Did you copy the BMS data into your original BIN with TunerPro or just use the BMS file straight on your DME?
(#3)
Old

Default 10-22-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Did you copy the BMS data into your original BIN with TunerPro or just use the BMS file straight on your DME?
I have not copied any data. I have only performed the steps as spelled out in the thread ('BMS/MHD Backend Flashing Flow Chart').

The tablet has been 'factory reset' within the past month... clean wipe / install of OS. Could I have lost settings or files required for quick 2min updates?

After the tablet reset, MHD Flasher went thru a "long write" successfully. Now able to updated with 2min writes. I may have updated the BEF two times previously since the tablet reset without issue.

Also note that when performing Start/Resume Backup it connects but says “DME read protected”

Last edited by nextNME; 10-22-2019 at 09:57 AM..
(#4)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 10-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Did you save a copy of your original DME file before you flashed it the first time?

The BMS file is based on a generic 335i BIN. If you use it on a 135i, for example, cruise control stops working. But if you copy just the tuning changes into your original BIN it works fine.

I was thinking maybe your issue was something similar, but I don't think I've heard of this particular problem before.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-23-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanks Vorsprung.

Before I installed MHD (over a year ago) I did a stock backup. But there is nothing left on the Tablet from before the 'reset'. I had to reinstall MHD Flasher, download latest BEF files, JB4 Mobile, XHP, etc etc. So I'm sure that original 535xi DME backup file is gone.

If it were to still be there, what folder should I investigate on my Tablet?

I am not familiar with editing the BIN File. I have never done anything like that.

If no stock file was present it makes sense that it wanted to do a Long Write the first time I hooked it up to the car again? (MHD PUMP_USA remained installed / unchanged during the tablet reset last week).

But I have done maybe 2x 2min Updates here and there before this issue happened on what I'd call the 3rd 2min Update.