N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 335i xDrive 6spd
Default FBO + Meth 335xi Mustang Dyno (408whp/483wtq) - 09-29-2013, 07:24 PM

Today I dynoed my car on a mustang dyno. The car is FBO meth running JB4 ISO 27.2 and the race flash using the bb utility. I am extremely happy with the results especially considering it was on a mustang dyno. Best uncorrected number was 408awhp and 483awtq. Corrected that came out to 397awhp and 463awtq.

I had a few problems the first being mixing too much E85 in the day before... Because of that the car was kicking itself to stock boost up in the higher RPM range. Terry went above and beyond and responded to my emails on a Sunday and I filled up with 93 to try to balance it out a bit. The guy doing the logs did say it still went into map 4 on at least one of the runs. My second problem is i'm not hitting target boost at all... No boost leaks because I did a smoke test last night so i'm guessing something to do with my turbos.

Anyways here's the vid:

Dynograph:

And Logs. Here are the datazap links and attached are the CSV's
http://www.***********/u/psmith95/dyno-map-3
http://www.***********/u/psmith95/mustang-dyno-map-7

Mods:
-JB4 G5 ISO
-BMS Race Flash
-2.2 Gallon BMS meth
-Stett Cold Air Intake
-Stett Aluminum Block-off Plate
-ER Chargepipe w/ Blue Tial BOV
-VRSF xi ******* Dp’s
-VRSF 7” FMIC
-VRSF 3.5” Catback V2
-NGK 5992 Plugs

< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come
(#2)
Old

Default 09-29-2013, 09:29 PM

nice number i was there withe white one but my clutch was slipping bad
(#3)
Old

Car: e92 n54 xi
Default 09-30-2013, 09:19 AM

yep...same issue with not hitting boost targets on my FBO+Meth "XI" with no boost leaks either. Anywho, good looking numbers on the Mustang Dyno.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 09-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Numbers look great!! Am I reading the log correct, are you hitting the 40's on your LPFP? I was having similar issues until recently installing the Walbro 400, no more sputters or stutters.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E92
Default 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM

You should raise your boost limit. That's probably why you are defaulting to map 4. You have a 60 additive set which targets close to 19 psi. It's recommended to set the boost limit 1 psi higher than target. Set it to 20.

|2007 E92 SGM 335i|
Cobbv3 BMS DCI & OCC VRSF *** & FMIC E85 Custom Backend & Alpina TCU flash ER CP RB PCV+Cap
Walbro 255 Rohana RC5 19s Nittos 555 245/275 Cyba Scoops LUX V3 M3 Cowl ST Coils LCI Tails

(#6)
Old

Default 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
Numbers look great!! Am I reading the log correct, are you hitting the 40's on your LPFP? I was having similar issues until recently installing the Walbro 400, no more sputters or stutters.
Thanks! Yea earlier in the day it was even worse... I put in way too much E85 (around 9 gallons)... Once Terry told me that was what was wrong I grabbed some 93 and was able to fit 4.5 gallons in then did the dyno. I probably still had too much E85 in or maybe my LPFP is on its way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenvn
You should raise your boost limit. That's probably why you are defaulting to map 4. You have a 60 additive set which targets close to 19 psi. It's recommended to set the boost limit 1 psi higher than target. Set it to 20.
Terry said it was because of too much E85 but that might be the reason why. I could have sworn I told them to raise it to 20 before the dyno... Next time i'm out there with my computer i'll make sure it's at 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcyd335xi
yep...same issue with not hitting boost targets on my FBO+Meth "XI" with no boost leaks either. Anywho, good looking numbers on the Mustang Dyno.
Yea I can't figure out what it is... I did a smoke test and only had one minor pinhole leak where the charge pipe meets up with the FMIC piping which couldn't be causing it to be that far off target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio91
Thanks I was looking forward to seeing what your car was going to make. What clutch are you thinking of going with?

E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM

So bear with me. I had misfire issues on the car after the JB4 G5 ISO. Fixed that with new plugs and 2-3 gallons of e85 with my 93. Eventually this lead to fuel loss at high loads on e85, sputtering in the morning requiring 2-3 start/stop cycles. My logs were showing me dropping into the 40-50 range under full boost and I was having random drop for no reason on idle and steady cruising. Eventually I could no longer run E85 and finally I just got sick of the terrible starts. Add to this I was under target as well.

Install the 400 in tank. True to form it leaves me stranded after the new pump I purchased had issues causing it to overload and blow fuses finally seizing the pump.

Fixed that only to apparently forget to snug down a clamp on the venturi. Now all has been well. The car is pulling so much smoother, I am not getting the terrible drops and I am just waiting to go fill up with some e85. I'd try more pumping power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Thanks! Yea earlier in the day it was even worse... I put in way too much E85 (around 9 gallons)... Once Terry told me that was what was wrong I grabbed some 93 and was able to fit 4.5 gallons in then did the dyno. I probably still had too much E85 in or maybe my LPFP is on its way out

Terry said it was because of too much E85 but that might be the reason why. I could have sworn I told them to raise it to 20 before the dyno... Next time i'm out there with my computer i'll make sure it's at 20

Yea I can't figure out what it is... I did a smoke test and only had one minor pinhole leak where the charge pipe meets up with the FMIC piping which couldn't be causing it to be that far off target...

Thanks I was looking forward to seeing what your car was going to make. What clutch are you thinking of going with?
(#8)
Old

Default 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
So bear with me. I had misfire issues on the car after the JB4 G5 ISO. Fixed that with new plugs and 2-3 gallons of e85 with my 93. Eventually this lead to fuel loss at high loads on e85, sputtering in the morning requiring 2-3 start/stop cycles. My logs were showing me dropping into the 40-50 range under full boost and I was having random drop for no reason on idle and steady cruising. Eventually I could no longer run E85 and finally I just got sick of the terrible starts. Add to this I was under target as well.

Install the 400 in tank. True to form it leaves me stranded after the new pump I purchased had issues causing it to overload and blow fuses finally seizing the pump.

Fixed that only to apparently forget to snug down a clamp on the venturi. Now all has been well. The car is pulling so much smoother, I am not getting the terrible drops and I am just waiting to go fill up with some e85. I'd try more pumping power!
Wow that's crazy! I think I might definitely have to try a LPFP upgrade of some sort. I'm nervous to do the in tank as i've heard of people having some issues but maybe i'll do the inline

(#9)
Old

Default 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95

i went with Spec Stage 2+ with the light weight steel fly wheel
(#10)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio91
Your car is beautiful man. My girlfriend was wondering what happened on the dyno, then I pointed out the clutch smell to her and explained what it meant.
(#11)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM

From a performance standpoint, what good is all that torque if it's significantly dropping after 5000 RPM? Those peak figures are nice in situations where you're putting around town or merging/passing on the freeway and are too lazy to downshift. But in the meat of the powerband where you spend time accelerating through the gears in any sort of extended run, these cars are making less HP as RPM increases. Not very efficient.

Are we simply at the mercy of the turbo(s) being too small and there's nothing to be done besides swapping em out? How much flexibility is there in terms of tuning or a different combination of parts to preserve top-end instead of having torque fall off a cliff after 4300 RPM? I know most of these setups run a certain amount of boost with pressure tapering significantly approaching redline, perhaps 18 PSI peak down to 12 at redline. I'd be curious to see a dyno of a car running the same boost through the band, say 12 or 13 PSI through redline, which can possibly save some steam up top due to the air not being super heated from dumping all at once.
(#12)
Old

Unhappy 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000max
Your car is beautiful man. My girlfriend was wondering what happened on the dyno, then I pointed out the clutch smell to her and explained what it meant.
yea it went sooner then i thought it would have
(#13)
Old

Default 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
From a performance standpoint, what good is all that torque if it's significantly dropping after 5000 RPM? Those peak figures are nice in situations where you're putting around town or merging/passing on the freeway and are too lazy to downshift. But in the meat of the powerband where you spend time accelerating through the gears in any sort of extended run, these cars are making less HP as RPM increases. Not very efficient.

Are we simply at the mercy of the turbo(s) being too small and there's nothing to be done besides swapping em out? How much flexibility is there in terms of tuning or a different combination of parts to preserve top-end instead of having torque fall off a cliff after 4300 RPM? I know most of these setups run a certain amount of boost with pressure tapering significantly approaching redline, perhaps 18 PSI peak down to 12 at redline. I'd be curious to see a dyno of a car running the same boost through the band, say 12 or 13 PSI through redline, which can possibly save some steam up top due to the air not being super heated from dumping all at once.
Well first and foremost for best straight line performance you are supposed to short shift these cars at 6k if you're on the stock turbos. Second, I was having issues so this shouldn't represent all powerbands. My first issue was too much E85 so fuel pumps weren't doing great and the car put itself into stock mapping a few times. The other problem is for some reason I am not hitting target boost so again this should not be indicative of the typical N54 power curve

(#14)
Old

Default 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Anyone think it might be my boost solenoids?