N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
E90post reject

Car: Overpriced Econo Box
Default Extremely dissatisfied with AMS fmic - 07-14-2013, 12:03 AM

Hi! my review.

Right side silicone coupler too short, wasted an extra 4 hours because of it, still popped off. Left side coupler is tight and fine.

Great intercooler, piss-poor clamps and right side coupler. The clamps were slipping and chewed up the silicone hose.
I'll never buy anything AMS again.
The guy who designed the right side coupler must really hate car enthusiasts or just doesn't take pride in his job.

I really wish the other guys had the same work ethic as Terry.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to get the right size hot side coupler.

Thanks in advance.

My friend died doin what He loved,Heroin.
(#2)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM

Ordered a longer coupler from ebay as suggested in this thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722052

With all the people having boost leaks with the right side, you would think AMS will do something about it.

(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 07-14-2013, 07:32 AM

This is one of the reasons why I'm buying the cp-e FMIC from Terry when they get them back in stock. Plus, Terry backs it and cp-e has published some pretty solid science on it. I'm also picking up the cp-e Charge Pipe w/ Tial BOV from Terry since they run it on all their shop cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWpurist
Hi! my review.

Right side silicone coupler too short, wasted an extra 4 hours because of it, still popped off. Left side coupler is tight and fine.

Great intercooler, piss-poor clamps and right side coupler. The clamps were slipping and chewed up the silicone hose.
I'll never buy anything AMS again.
The guy who designed the right side coupler must really hate car enthusiasts or just doesn't take pride in his job.

I really wish the other guys had the same work ethic as Terry.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to get the right size hot side coupler.

Thanks in advance.
(#4)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
This is one of the reasons why I'm buying the cp-e FMIC from Terry when they get them back in stock. Plus, Terry backs it and cp-e has published some pretty solid science on it. I'm also picking up the cp-e Charge Pipe w/ Tial BOV from Terry since they run it on all their shop cars as well.
In retrospect I shoul've waited for the cp-e or gotten the AA fmic from Terry.

(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Send it back.

Quote:
In retrospect I shoul've waited for the cp-e or gotten the AA fmic from Terry.
(#6)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Send it back.
I ve already got rid of the box, packaging...I ordered this from ebay, I hope it does the trick.
Attached Images

(#7)
Old

Car: e92 n54 xi
Default 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Yeah had my hot side coupler slipped off on me once...i agree that they are 2-3inches too short. I called AMS, they sent me a "supposedly" longer coupler but nope, it was the same size lol. I decided not to use T-Bolt clamps because that crushed the thin aluminum piping on the hot side. Used regular clamps and put the hot side on first. Haven't had any problems since and that was a couple of years ago. Had the FMIC since it was first released. Been running anywhere from 16psi to almost 20psi of boost since the "slip off" and have had no problems. Let me know how the new coupler works out for you. Might give it a try if all works well.

Last edited by Darkcyd335xi; 07-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Fixed my bad engrish lol
(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan
Default 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM

I've had my AMS for several months and zero problems. It was a b*tch to install with those elbows and laying flat on my back bench pressing that fmic over and over trying to get it to fit. I beat the hell out of myself on that job! Once I got enough lube/chain oil on the couplers it finally slid in and I have never felt so relieved. I kept looking at my ripped up OEM couplers and clamps thinking I'd made a huge mistake.

I haven't had any issues since. No leaks. The pack job, welds and overall experience was great. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble!
(#9)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey
I've had my AMS for several months and zero problems. It was a b*tch to install with those elbows and laying flat on my back bench pressing that fmic over and over trying to get it to fit. I beat the hell out of myself on that job! Once I got enough lube/chain oil on the couplers it finally slid in and I have never felt so relieved. I kept looking at my ripped up OEM couplers and clamps thinking I'd made a huge mistake.

I haven't had any issues since. No leaks. The pack job, welds and overall experience was great. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble!
The install wasnt as bad as the dp's, pretty straight forward except for the coupler fitment on the right side.
How much boost are you running and have you run some logs lately?

(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 07-14-2013, 09:25 PM

I installed my ER with lower intercooler pipe in under 1 hour...now it is a 15 min job since everything is trimmed out. I remove my intercooler a lot lol!

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#11)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-15-2013, 06:36 AM

I noticed the coupler on the right is designed so it can stretch, from when the engine twist pulls...

But the guys at AMS probably felt that a shorter coupler that needs to be pulled down to barely fit, with no give will work better.
Attached Images

(#12)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 07-15-2013, 08:11 AM

The one you picked up on eBay looks like the one that came with the vrsf 7". It came with high quality T-bolt clamps, I thought that high quality couplers were standard with all the main fmic's in our platform?

CPe is nice. Helped put one in a while back when a local friend did his.
(#13)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM

I never had any issue with my AMS. The coupler did seem short but it went on just fine and has given me no problems what so ever.

Sorry yours is being such a pain in the ass.
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM

The passenger side coupler sucks dick. Completely useless. Had to buy same as you.

2009 335i e90 n54; sport; premium; logic7
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM

I've been really happy with the VRSF 7'' intercooler. No issues what so ever, install was pretty easy, everything fit great. Temps are down, power is up, and no boost leaks. Plus, for the price, you can't beat it.
(#16)
Old
E90post reject

Default 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshadows
I've been really happy with the VRSF 7'' intercooler. No issues what so ever, install was pretty easy, everything fit great. Temps are down, power is up, and no boost leaks. Plus, for the price, you can't beat it.
I noticed it even comes with some quality T-bolt clamps and couplers with the right lengths and it's cheaper.

(#17)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I noticed it even comes with some quality T-bolt clamps and couplers with the right lengths and it's cheaper.
Yup, it's pretty good. If you don't want to have to cut stuff out of your bumper though I would suggest sticking with the 5''. I have the Kerscher 1M bumper so it was pretty easy for me.
(#18)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM

CP-e FMIC was a very straight forward install for me....no issues at all.

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
(#19)
Old

Car: E90 335xi
Default 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having the same issue but with the VRSF 5 inches FMIC, the couplers which came with it are 1-2 inches too short, especially the driver side one. I'm not even able to get it on the FMIC piping... Right one (passenger side) if fine. Any idea? If I buy one on Ebay, like the one that the OP bough, but for the driver side, when lengh should I buy?

2008 Jet Black 335xi E90 6AT | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | BMS Backend 7/1 Pump Flash | JB4 G5 ISO 31.5 | BMS DCI | BMS CP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust | VMR V718 / Kumho | Best 1/4 mile: 12.37@110.4 MPH | Top speed: 0-270 km/h | YouTube