N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#876)
Old

Car: E90 335xi 6MT
Default 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54-5&3
Hey hey hey there! Don't forget about us N54 535 owners! We don't have no stinkin temp gauge! When I PLAN on beating on the car, I drive with the laptop to watch the temp (partly b/c I wasn't sure whether the failsafe was implemented on all maps yet). Even with the failsafe implemented, that means that the only way I can know if the temp is adequate is to floor it and see if she holds back on me.
Actually sir, I was not aware that the 535's did not have a temp gauge... I can actually see how an indicator feature would be very useful for you 5-series guys, whereas for those such as myself, it would be more of less just an annoyance, or something to freak me out while driving on my way to work

Maybe two loads of firmware? Or a user adjustable feature that is defaulted to off, but can be toggled on?
(#877)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Terry, if this is the case, does that conflict with the page 1 info?

"Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for 93 octane)"

Also, I believe JB3 Map 3/5 is suggested for basically stock 93 octane, and that's in the same 14-15 psi range...so I would think Map 2 is the "equivalent" in the JB4?
Gas quality varies from place to place, as well as ambient conditions. Some people will get away with Map2 on 93, some won't.

I can run Map2 on the 93 here, but my ignition takes some drops in the higher gears as things start to heat up.

The best and really only way to know if it is ok, is to log your ignition timing.

(#878)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM

+1 An option for an indicator such as flashing the hazards once would be nice. It's not as though anyone is going to be seeing the shift-point hazard flash before the car is warm. Even if the option was only available to turn on and off via the computer that would be nice.
(#879)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ
Gas quality varies from place to place, as well as ambient conditions. Some people will get away with Map2 on 93, some won't.

I can run Map2 on the 93 here, but my ignition takes some drops in the higher gears as things start to heat up.

The best and really only way to know if it is ok, is to log your ignition timing.
Are you below 10 in your higher gears? What do you consider safe?
(#880)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:

good news for me..
(#881)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54-5&3
Are you below 10 in your higher gears? What do you consider safe?
Log your ignition through a long gear, like 4th or 5th. Be sure to be full throttle. Your ignition advance should be around 8-10 the whole run, maybe higher, maybe a bit lower. The thing to look for is drop-outs, it will look like a negative spike.

Here is an example, a Map2 log on my car. (DCI/JB4 only on 93)

(#882)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Log your ignition through a long gear, like 4th or 5th. Be sure to be full throttle. Your ignition advance should be around 8-10 the whole run, maybe higher, maybe a bit lower. The thing to look for is drop-outs, it will look like a negative spike.
Stock timing will be around 8-12 degrees, but tuned timing must be much lower. Sometimes even negative. And some areas have essentially preprogrammed drop outs such as around 4200rpm. What you want to look for is repetitive drop outs under high boost and high RPM which indicate you are close to the octane limit.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#883)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Also, I believe JB3 Map 3/5 is suggested for basically stock 93 octane, and that's in the same 14-15 psi range...so I would think Map 2 is the "equivalent" in the JB4?
I'll fix the first page.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#884)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Stock timing will be around 8-12 degrees, but tuned timing must be much lower. Sometimes even negative. And some areas have essentially preprogrammed drop outs such as around 4200rpm. What you want to look for is repetitive drop outs under high boost and high RPM which indicate you are close to the octane limit.
Would you consider that log I posted as repetitive drop-outs? I've been running Map1 to be safe, and it doesn't do that to my ignition.

I have not been able to secure any damn Xylene or MS109 yet.

(#885)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM

The first dropout is mapped there but the second two post shift put you close to the edge. It would depend how often they came up, etc. Timing recovers well so you're about at the limit there. The limit means as you push boost higher you stop making additional power.

Burger Motorsports

(#886)
Old
Turbo Lover

Default 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The first dropout is mapped there but the second two post shift put you close to the edge. It would depend how often they came up, etc. Timing recovers well so you're about at the limit there. The limit means as you push boost higher you stop making additional power.
So they put in a timing drop at the cam profile change to keep the torque output constant?

(#887)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
So they put in a timing drop at the cam profile change to keep the torque output constant?
No, they cranked the sensitivity of the knock feedback way up there to catch anything happening during the transition. So you get a lot of false knock there.

Burger Motorsports

(#888)
Old

Car: E90 335xi 6MT
Default 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
No, they cranked the sensitivity of the knock feedback way up there to catch anything happening during the transition. So you get a lot of false knock there.
Ahhh that makes sense... so the transition between cam profiles causes somewhat of a false knock, which in turn causes the ECU/DME to pull timing drastically.... make sense why most all of the logs I've seen show timing dropping drastically around that RPM haha. I've been curious about that for a while, and am rather new to these cars (former Subaru guy that tuned mostly with OpenECU & logged with RomRaider), so I never realized that. Kind of shocked BMW didn't work on "fixing" that per se.

Since the new N55 has Valvetronic, which as I understand it constantly varies lift/duration (kind of like Nissan/Infiniti's VQ37 motor in the 370Z/G37), is this dip in timing absent on those motors?
(#889)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

The N55 is a whole new animal with a different ECU and knock detection system. But seems to be a lot smoother there, at least at the +3psi tuned range.

Burger Motorsports

(#890)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 01-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
We could include one if you guys want. Have it flash the blinkers when the oil temp is > 160? Or maybe have it roll open the windows and moon roof, and crank the radio up to max?
have it roll down the windows and crank "Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone"
(#891)
Old
Enginerd

Car: 2009 135i
Default 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM

YES!!! Also put in a "buzz the tower mode"

--2009 BMW 135i--2016 Nissan Titan XD (Turbo Cummins ISV)--2016 VW Tiguan 2.0Tsi --1988 Beechcraft Bonanza--Suzuki GSX-R 1000--Honda CBR-600RR--

JB4 G5 ISO | MHD | E85 | Fuel-It S3 LPFP / PI | MFactory S3+ Clutch / SMFW / LSD / Mounts | Diff Lock | UUC Tranny Mounts | DwnPipes / Exhaust / FMIC | Chargepipe / Tial | KW V3s | HR Sways | HPA full M3 Suspension | BMS DCI / Oil Cooler Valve / Cowl Filters / 4bar / 2Step / OCC | RB PCV | Stri Gauges | Pole Position 225/265 | Installing: DR 6466ST
(#892)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Here is an example, a Map2 log on my car. (DCI/JB4 only on 93)

So how does this look? (starting in second gear and rolling on throttle due to wheelspin). Is advance getting too low in 4th?

Last edited by n54-5&3; 01-20-2011 at 09:12 PM..
(#893)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 08:56 PM

The JB4 interface logs for you and is much easier to read. Why the excel log?

But looks good! There is no such thing as "too low advance". During certain times it will run 0 or less and that is perfectly fine. Advance also has to drop as your rate of acceleration drops under wide open throttle. So each gear will target a lower advance than the previous generally. What you want to watch out for is sustained sharp drops that repeat with no other explanation.

Burger Motorsports

(#894)
Old

Car: '07 e92 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Just got my JB4 in the mail can't wait to install! Quick question thought...what is Map 5 for the JB4 i don't see anything listed for it on the first post.
(#895)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The JB4 interface logs for you and is much easier to read. Why the excel log?
Easier to read to 99%... your forgetting the 1%. I'm a bit off.

I wanted different scaling and a bigger chart. I save different pictures of different charts showing the data I want, making it easier for me to compare them later.

Quote:
But looks good! There is no such thing as "too low advance". During certain times it will run 0 or less and that is perfectly fine. Advance also has to drop as your rate of acceleration drops under wide open throttle. So each gear will target a lower advance than the previous generally. What you want to watch out for is sustained sharp drops that repeat with no other explanation.
I'm glad it's looking good, thanks.
(#896)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM

No problem. I thought maybe you didn't know it could be done within the interface.

Burger Motorsports

(#897)
Old

Car: bmw 135i
Default 01-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:

if I'm wrong map JB4 2 of 7 corresponds to the JB3 map with more power but ...
(#898)
Old

Default 01-21-2011, 09:33 AM

am I dumb or what? I turn of my radio by pushing the volume button in. As soon as I enter command mode it turns back on. If I turn it off by pushing the volume button again, a touch of the volume up or down or channel select and it comes back on.
(#899)
Old

Car: '07 SGM 335i
Default 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton23
am I dumb or what? I turn of my radio by pushing the volume button in. As soon as I enter command mode it turns back on. If I turn it off by pushing the volume button again, a touch of the volume up or down or channel select and it comes back on.
I take it you have iDrive? Mine does the same thing, volume goes up and down and stations change as I navigate through the menu. Adds character to the experience.
(#900)
Old

Default 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper
I take it you have iDrive? Mine does the same thing, volume goes up and down and stations change as I navigate through the menu. Adds character to the experience.
yep. kind of sucks because it changes the song and sh!t.