N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Can I ask why we're even discussing anything related to a "virtual dyno"? Come on, DynoJets aren't exactly rare. You're trying to sell the community on a product. The least you could do is get your test car on one and get real numbers.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#27)
Old

Car: Impreza GM6
Default 04-23-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill
It would be great to have some more F10 N55 turbo options! I'm subscribed.
We should be able to build it for you.
(#28)
Old

Default 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Can I ask why we're even discussing anything related to a "virtual dyno"? Come on, DynoJets aren't exactly rare. You're trying to sell the community on a product. The least you could do is get your test car on one and get real numbers.
I think it has been stated in this thread like 3-4 times already. This car in only on its 4-5th revision and is being road e-tuned. It isn't even at 20 psi, and the timing hasn't been worked on, so it has several revisions before being fully tuned. The data presented is what it is, so take it for what it is worth. We'll get it on the dyno, when the tune is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamSpeed
Before everyone gets overly excited, we are simply providing data as tuning unfolds. If you are more sophisticated and want to dig into the data, hit the link and go for for it. If not, we just loaded the data into VirtualDyno using default settings. Take it for what it is and don't go crazy with it one way or the other. The tune has only had 4-5 revisions and isn't even up to 20 psi yet, and the timing hasn't been worked on. The data is is for pump gas; we haven't tuned e85 yet. Preliminary data is better than no data, right?.
With that said, VirtualDyno does a decent job getting you in the ballpark.

This is the last turbo we released, it is a STX 71 for Evo X.

Here is the data from EnglishRacing's DynoJet dyno. It is a "real" dyno chart.

Here is the COBB data log from the same pull. We did this because we only had data logs from the stock turbo to compare against. As you can see, they are fairly close, approximately less than 5 whp difference.

Anyway, all dyno results are just a tool for comparison for other results using the same dyno. Power numbers from a chassis dyno are not rigorous in an engineering sense.
(#29)
Old

Car: m2
Default 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Jesse, does Pure have any further development plan of N55 hybrid turbo? It doesn't have to be more power (seems PS2 is as good as it gets with stock turbofold). Are changing to high quality DBB CHRA and/or titanium turbine wheel good next steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Turbos
Guys,

I see a lot of speculation in your thread, regarding our very popular Pure Stage 2. Let's see some true repeatable dynojet results of your Sumalaya brand Taiwan cartridge turbo, before making any claims. They pitched their BB cartridges to us April '15, we were not interested. Same brand as those n54 billet BB cartridge turbos that popped up, which had failure problems. Also, FYI your cartridge is missing a heatshield in your pics!

Attachment 73560
(#30)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I think it has been stated in this thread like 3-4 times already. This car in only on its 4-5th revision and is being road e-tuned. It isn't even at 20 psi, and the timing hasn't been worked on, so it has several revisions before being fully tuned. The data presented is what it is, so take it for what it is worth. We'll get it on the dyno, when the tune is ready.
I've never heard of companies road tuning their products. Doing it on the dyno in a controlled environment makes much more sense. In fact, I've done alpha (and beta) testing for tuners before and they always want it on the dyno for testing and proof..

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#31)
Old

Default 04-24-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
I've never heard of companies road tuning their products. Doing it on the dyno in a controlled environment makes much more sense. In fact, I've done alpha (and beta) testing for tuners before and they always want it on the dyno for testing and proof..
Mike,

In this particular case, the customer has a preference to work with a tuner that is not local, so he is providing logs from street pulls. This happens all of the time. If you are a tuner, it is easier and safer to do pulls on a dyno, but all tuners do some degree of road tuning. Besides, what loads your car more realistically that the actual road? Through tuners that make the time, will still check your car out doing pulls on the road logging data even if they did most of the tuning already on the dyno.
(#32)
Old

Default 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Speedtech
I try to avoid bs on forums when people don’t know what they are talking about, but I gotta step in here beings you are calling out our dyno runs. If you think stuffing bigger wheels into a hybrid through that stock N55 manifold, is going to be anywhere near our manifold with an 8374 EFR turbo, you have some learning to do. Here’s a few quick points –

-The 8374 EFR dyno run is being LIMITED to 24psi, that turbo can put out 35psi and make more torque and hp than a hybrid can ever dream of.

-Go cut open the stock manifold, and then realize why there’s little return in going to larger wheels than current hybrids, your peak hp is going to be capped by that stock manifold, argue all you want on that, but that is a fact (aka thermodynamics)

-We post SAE numbers from same car/dyno for honest comparisons, most others in this segment post STD because it reads higher, and then you are posting “virtual”…. and claiming to make the same torque as an EFR 8374 can make, come on dude… you might fool some people, but let’s be real here

-If you want to impress us, go instrument your setup with pre-turbo manifold pressure, and also turbo wheel speed sensor. For any hybrid to get anywhere near 500hp, through that tiny stock manifold, the backpressure and wheel speeds are crazy high, such that, about half of our customers buy our kit after having replaced their hybrid due to failures, leaking seals, etc. Good luck making the bearings and oil seals survive at that levels you are claiming.

-Kit costs –
For $3800, our kit includes all the components that eliminate the stock restrictions – EFR turbo (properly engineered for 500-1000hp), manifold (ours is 3 times the xsec area of stock), turbo inlet (over 2X increase in area), ********, boost pipe, oil lines, coolant lines, etc, now let’s compare to your offering:

For $3950+, your customer pays: ($2500 (turbo) + $1000 (core) + $3-500 (********) + $150 (hi-flow inlet) + etc for install kit) and get an untested hybrid that is reliable to what? 450?
(#33)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 04-25-2018, 01:15 PM

What a joke, are you seriously trying to compare Dyno results to virtual bull**** results? GTFO out of here. Where’s your dyno results? Where’s your 60-130 test results racetrack results? Anything? Or is it just a bunch of bull **** steem blowing out of your mouth of fake claims?

18’ Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#34)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 04-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
What a joke, are you seriously trying to compare Dyno results to virtual bull**** results? GTFO out of here. Where’s your dyno results? Where’s your 60-130 test results racetrack results? Anything? Or is it just a bunch of bull **** steem blowing out of your mouth of fake claims?
Just a FYI one of the largest "tuning" companies in Sweden are using virtual dynos and are posting the numbers as "actual" numbers on social media.
The same company have been road tuning the customers cars since they started the company, like 5-10years ago..
For me the above is just silly, however most of the people dont care and are happy to leave their cars to the company..

By the above im just stating that there are other large companies out there who do the exact thing, without people noticing or paying any real attention to it..
The same company also win most of their customers by bashing the opponents rather than providing great tunes and awesome results..
(#35)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-25-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Just a FYI one of the largest "tuning" companies in Sweden are using virtual dynos and are posting the numbers as "actual" numbers on social media.
The same company have been road tuning the customers cars since they started the company, like 5-10years ago..
For me the above is just silly, however most of the people dont care and are happy to leave their cars to the company..

By the above im just stating that there are other large companies out there who do the exact thing, without people noticing or paying any real attention to it..
The same company also win most of their customers by bashing the opponents rather than providing great tunes and awesome results..
not sure what you are trying to say. But nothing newguy said is silly. He is just trying to educate consumers who do not know any better.

it is an absolute joke to post up virtual dyno numbers and compare them with real dyno numbers and make any sort of claim. Put the car on the dyno, take it to a race or two, prove it performs well, then make a claim or two. That is data, not a virtual dyno. cahmon.

not doubting the performance of the turbo, just saying post actual results. If I was in the market, that is what I would be looking for.
(#36)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
not sure what you are trying to say. But nothing newguy said is silly. He is just trying to educate consumers who do not know any better.

it is an absolute joke to post up virtual dyno numbers and compare them with real dyno numbers and make any sort of claim. Put the car on the dyno, take it to a race or two, prove it performs well, then make a claim or two. That is data, not a virtual dyno. cahmon.

not doubting the performance of the turbo, just saying post actual results. If I was in the market, that is what I would be looking for.
Sorry if i wasnt clear, but the "silly" was directed to how the largest tuning company can post dynos based on virtual dynos and tune customer cars on regular roads.
The "Silly" was not directed towards Newguy since i completly agree with him and with what you just wrote.

My post was just some information that it is not just SteamSpeed who does this. It is not an isolated event unfortunately..
(#37)
Old

Default 04-25-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Sorry if i wasnt clear, but the "silly" was directed to how the largest tuning company can post dynos based on virtual dynos and tune customer cars on regular roads.
The "Silly" was not directed towards Newguy since i completly agree with him and with what you just wrote.

My post was just some information that it is not just SteamSpeed who does this. It is not an isolated event unfortunately..
got it. that's what I though you were saying. yeah not surprised. the problem is, consumers give these companies money with any proof to the claims. Me personally, I like to wait to see some sort of independent, real world results before giving my hard earned money to anyone.
(#38)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-25-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
got it. that's what I though you were saying. yeah not surprised. the problem is, consumers give these companies money with any proof to the claims. Me personally, I like to wait to see some sort of independent, real world results before giving my hard earned money to anyone.
Exactly. Some bench racer bull**** may be accepted on other platforms but it’s definitely not going to be accepted here! New options are great but don’t come in here spewing some ricer math and expecting people to respect you, post up data and results (60-130 verified results or 1/4 mile times/traps) If you want respect from the true enthusiasts that actually know what’s going on

18’ Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#39)
Old

Default 04-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Before everyone gets into a classic Internet-style "me too" pile on mode, I get the feeling that people are not actually reading, or just misunderstanding what has been posted by us.

This is not a sale thread for the SteamSpeed STX 78R turbo. The purpose of this thread is not to ask for sales. The purpose of this thread, is to provide "specs & details" while we validate the turbo as the title states.

This turbo is actively being tested and hasn't even been fully tuned yet. I repeat, the testing is in progress, and we are providing preliminary data throughout the process. Preliminary data is better than no data right?

Data is data. It is neither good nor evil. It is not biased. We are providing raw logs from in progress tuning for you to look at. For your convenience, we also loaded the data logs in virtual dyno with default settings. You may look at the data and draw your own conclusions, compare it to your car's data logs, etc. Take it for what it is and not for what it isn't. Take the information, and form your own opinion.

What have we claimed?
1. Even with no timing, and less than 20 psi in the tune, the STX 78R BB turbo for N55 is already looking very promising.
2. The CHRA itself is likely capable of 600 whp / 600 ft*lbs, but will probably be limited by the OEM housings.
3. The tunes seem to be trending to 550 whp and 570 ft*lbs, but the data is preliminary
4. BB turbos are superior to JB with all other things being equal

1-3 is supported by early data, but will be further explored with more testing and data on our end. 4 is simply a statement of fact.
(#40)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Post results when you have them instead of comparing real dynojet data results from another company to your virtual benchracer results. Who does that and then claims your product is superior?

Quote:
Before everyone gets into a classic Internet-style "me too" pile on mode, I get the feeling that people are not actually reading, or just misunderstanding what has been posted by us.

This is not a sale thread for the SteamSpeed STX 78R turbo. The purpose of this thread is not to ask for sales. The purpose of this thread, is to provide "specs & details" while we validate the turbo as the title states.

This turbo is actively being tested and hasn't even been fully tuned yet. I repeat, the testing is in progress, and we are providing preliminary data throughout the process. Preliminary data is better than no data right?

Data is data. It is neither good nor evil. It is not biased. We are providing raw logs from in progress tuning for you to look at. For your convenience, we also loaded the data logs in virtual dyno with default settings. You may look at the data and draw your own conclusions, compare it to your car's data logs, etc. Take it for what it is and not for what it isn't. Take the information, and form your own opinion.

What have we claimed?
1. Even with no timing, and less than 20 psi in the tune, the STX 78R BB turbo for N55 is already looking very promising.
2. The CHRA itself is likely capable of 600 whp / 600 ft*lbs, but will probably be limited by the OEM housings.
3. The tunes seem to be trending to 550 whp and 570 ft*lbs, but the data is preliminary

1-3 is supported by early data, but will be further explored with more testing and data on our end. 4 is simply a statement of fact.

18’ Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#41)
Old

Default 04-27-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
Post results when you have them instead of comparing real dynojet data results from another company to your virtual benchracer results. Who does that and then claims your product is superior?
The only declarative statement about superiority we have made is: "BB turbos are superior to JB with all other things being equal." In terms of performance and reliability, this is absolutely true. I don't think anyone can disagree with this statement. The only way JB is better than BB is that is cheaper to manufacture and rebuild, so as a manufacturer, selling JB is much more profitable.

Given that #PURETURBOS is in your signature block, I take it that you are fan of their products. If their products make you happy, we are happy for you. I don't want you to feel like we aren't trying to take that away from you or anyone else that has a Pure Stage 2 turbo. Even with a rebuilt JB CHRA, the performance gains are well documented. Our product having a BB CHRA does not take away with what Pure has accomplished with JB. We feel BB is just a better approach especially since BB is much more efficient than JB with a restrictive turbine section like the OEM N55 turbo has.

If you don't want to look at the intermediate logs of a tune in progress, then don't. That is your prerogative. Other people that are interested can still get useful information from data logs.
(#42)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 04-27-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The only declarative statement about superiority we have made is: "BB turbos are superior to JB with all other things being equal." In terms of performance and reliability, this is absolutely true. I don't think anyone can disagree with this statement. The only way JB is better than BB is that is cheaper to manufacture and rebuild, so as a manufacturer, selling JB is much more profitable.

Given that #PURETURBOS is in your signature block, I take it that you are fan of their products. If their products make you happy, we are happy for you. I don't want you to feel like we aren't trying to take that away from you or anyone else that has a Pure Stage 2 turbo. Even with a rebuilt JB CHRA, the performance gains are well documented. Our product having a BB CHRA does not take away with what Pure has accomplished with JB. We feel BB is just a better approach especially since BB is much more efficient than JB with a restrictive turbine section like the OEM N55 turbo has.

If you don't want to look at the intermediate logs of a tune in progress, then don't. That is your prerogative. Other people that are interested can still get useful information from data logs.
I agree; some data is better than no data.

Hopefully, when that particular customer gets the tune dialed in he'll take it to the dyno.
(#43)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-27-2018, 09:16 PM

Stick to posting facts instead of comparing apples to bananas. In for some results
Attached Images

18’ Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#44)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:

What have we claimed?

I for one am not trying to pile on anything. The more products the better for us. Data is good, when it is being used correctly. Pretty simple. We are just stating, comparing a Dyno to a Virtual Dyno is apples and oranges.

Looking forward to seeing dyno results.
(#45)
Old

Car: 135is
Default 06-03-2018, 04:35 AM

Truthfully i think everyone here can agree and knows that BB CHRA is superior than that of JB CHRA. That's like comparing a billet wheels to a cast wheel, advancements in technology are what have made turbos a common OEM practice. But, there was a bit of a comparison that can seem to shed a little shadow on the competition by Steamspeed. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way but it came off a little that way. And I'm sorry but virtual number---- NO, not for consumers. I'm sure each turbo has its shining point in different departments weather it be price point, components selected, HP/TRQ number and response or what have u, but the truth is most of us as consumers are not engineers or product developers. The numbers we want are DYNO numbers and whats going to happen with the product in our cars. That's it plain and simple!! The best way to settle this is each of you post the most recent logs of ur stage 2/STX 78R turbo set ups on the same or as close as possible same car and hash it out. Post no **** dyno numbers then street logs to appeal to all aspects of what the turbos can do. Jeff@speedtech, I'm afraid you gotta sit this one out because your kit is absolutely amazing. It is superior than both of them but at the same time is in a bit of a different class, i love that kit by the way. So anyway a good old fashion shootout between Pure and Steamspeed, and while ur at it lets get the stage 1/STX 67 shootout as well. While that market is lower there are a few people who still like a small bump in power until they go big.
(#46)
Old

Car: 2011 N55 135DCT
Default 06-09-2018, 10:14 AM

And its gone quiet here?

2011 135 n55 DCT RHD, MAMBA GTX3576R (5962) single turbo kit. Jb4 FBO. METH KIT WITH cm7 and cm4
(#47)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM

SteamSpeed,
Don't make the mistake of thinking consumers are going to appreciate insight into development - they don't. I get it, seems like being transparent and open about developments, results, etc. would be a good way to intro yourselves and get people interested. But forums are just going to pick apart what you do, criticize, and call BS, and write you off. And, right or wrong, they will have made up their mind about you before you even have the product to market.

Don't post anything, at all, until it's fully baked and you are ready to sell it.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#48)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay.

The car is on the 9th revision. You can grab the logs here if you like to do the analysis yourself: https://***********/u/vthorpe where the ** are datazap . me

I will try to get the data visualized in some virtual dyno charts so you can see the progression. The car is fighting with some ignition issues at the current power levels, so we'll be trying some other spark plugs, and eventually coil packs if the plugs don't resolve the issue.

Once we resolve the ignition issue, we should be ready to strap it up to the dyno for final numbers.
(#49)
Old

Car: 2011 N55 135DCT
Default 08-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Can u post some csv logs

2011 135 n55 DCT RHD, MAMBA GTX3576R (5962) single turbo kit. Jb4 FBO. METH KIT WITH cm7 and cm4
(#50)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesN55
Can u post some csv logs
They are logging through MHD not the JB4. You can also download the CSV from Datazap .me.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66
Sold

2014 E84 X1 35i 13.19 @ 102MPH / 0-60 4.73 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
ER Chargepipe | BMS Intake | JB4 ISO |