N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default S55 boost limiting by gear - 05-16-2018, 12:31 PM

How do you set the boost limiting with the s55 jb4? My understanding is that the speedometer needle should be set to 50 for 1st gear and then the tachometer needle is set at a specific rpm which is divided by 3. So if I wanted to set the first gear limit to 12 psi what should I set the tachometer needle to?
(#2)
Old

Default 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM

I think the value is the amount of boost you want the boost target reduced by. So if you have a value of say 6... it will reduce your boost from 20psi to 14psi. This is just based on my understanding and I am hoping someone can chime in.

I will say the Bluetooth app makes this type of stuff much easier.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-16-2018, 07:43 PM

You can't boost limit below DME BT.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Default 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM

So if I were to fill in the 1st gear max boost box in the app, what’s the lowest (or highest) value you could set it at?

And if you wanted to reduce the boost in a gear would I put in the desired boost target (I.e 16), or the desired psi reduction (I.e 4)?
(#5)
Old

Default 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You can't boost limit below DME BT.
Ok thanks for that information. So if I wanted to set the boost to the stock limit (which I believe is 18.9 lbs) in first gear how would I set the gauges on the in dash menu? My problem is that there is no good explanation and I do not have a BT module yet so I canít easily set it by using the app. All I know is that the speedo position is set to 50 but I donít know how to position the tach needle.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-16-2018, 09:18 PM

You can set it as low as you want, but the JB4 has an over ride that blocks it from targeting below stock boost levels. At least, for now.

So for example 1psi in 3rd would result in stock boost in that gear.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-17-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You can set it as low as you want, but the JB4 has an over ride that blocks it from targeting below stock boost levels. At least, for now.

So for example 1psi in 3rd would result in stock boost in that gear.
Yes even stock boost levels are too much for 1st gear so that would be awesome. Setting the tach to 3 would equate to 3/3=1 resulting in 1 psi boost limit in 3rd gear. Therefore targeting only 1 psi above stock which is about 20psi.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM

I believe what he meant and said was that targeting anything below stock boost will result in limiting boost to the DME BT and not act as an additive for that particular gear.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#9)
Old

Default 05-17-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
I believe what he meant and said was that targeting anything below stock boost will result in limiting boost to the DME BT and not act as an additive for that particular gear.
Yes I do understand that as indicated by my response. Iím not looking for any answer other than how do you physically set the boost limiter so I donít shred my tires constantly. There is too much torque in the lower gears and I want to reduce the power by limiting the boost psi that is attained with the jb4. To my understanding you can do this with the boost limiting function on the jb4. Essentially I donít know how to set my gauges to dial back the boost in gears 1 and 2. If I had a Rev3 module I could easily type in the boost limits on the app. But I donít have one yet and for the time being I want to boost limit by using the in dash gauge function and thatís what I do not know how to do. Iím sure itís easy as setting the tach to say 3 for example and that will limit the dme to 1 psi above stock but I cannot get this confirmation from anyone. Thanks for your help thus far.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-17-2018, 12:56 PM

In dash settings should be 0-5000rpm = 0-20psi limit.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.