N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1301)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800
Updated firmware to latest v9 t4 how do I enable afr indicator, do I do it through bc control?
Yes exactly!

4) Added in dash timing and AFR gauges under menu 2/3 and 2/4 respectively.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1302)
Old

Car: 340ix
Default 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM

I donít really understand the 2/3 2/4 all Iím going by is this menu
0 map menu, map shown on tach
'1 Not currently used
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (OFF tach = 0, ON tach = 1000)
'3 Not currently used
'4 Delete fault codes
'5 1st gear boost limiter, setting for gear boost limiters is RPM = boost * 200. e.g. 2000rpm = 10psi cap, 3000rpm = 15psi cap.
'6 2nd gear boost limiter
'7 3rd gear boost limiter
(#1303)
Old

Car: 2017 340i
Default 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Menu 2 (speedo)/ option 3 or 4 (on tach), yeah, i feel you, no updated video or exact instructions for most people. Basically have to search and figure it out for yourself. For me it was menu 2/option 4 for it to work(boost plus afr)
(#1304)
Old

Default 07-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Ok so I went to number 2 on speedo and number 4 on rpm and afr works, what’s number 3 do ?
(#1305)
Old

Car: 2017 340i
Default 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM

I think it depends on version of your instrument cluster, but don't quote me on this. It didn't have any effect for me when i tried it.
(#1306)
Old

Default 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Afr only activates on 50% throttle correct? And if someone can explain thwart option 3,4 difference?
(#1307)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM

The in dash gauges only active under 60% or more throttle, yes.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1308)
Old

Default 07-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The in dash gauges only active under 60% or more throttle, yes.
And what about difference in option 3 and 4, and can you update the options list
(#1309)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
And what about difference in option 3 and 4, and can you update the options list
Sure. All the options on menu2 work the same way, all trigger the boost on fuel. 2, 3, and 4 trigger other parameters on the cruise control ring along with boost on fuel.

Burger Motorsports

(#1310)
Old

Default 07-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Sure. All the options on menu2 work the same way, all trigger the boost on fuel. 2, 3, and 4 trigger other parameters on the cruise control ring along with boost on fuel.
What other parameters in detail if you donít mind asking, so far option 3, and 4 both activates afr and boost so I donít know
(#1311)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
What other parameters in detail if you donít mind asking, so far option 3, and 4 both activates afr and boost so I donít know
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 60% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (tach = 0 OFF; tach = 1 Boost Only; tach = 2000 Boost on fuel, Meth on speedo ring; tach = 3000 Boost on fuel, Timing on speedo ring; tach = 4000 Boost on fuel, AFR on speedo ring)

Burger Motorsports

(#1312)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM

We've had a few reports of not being able to clear diagnostic fault codes after the latest BMW update. I'm not sure what they've changed on their end, but we'll probably have to adjust the JB4 firmware to match. We've not had any luck in getting our development car updated so if anyone local to us has this issue with not being able to delete fault codes, and can swing by our office for a bit, it would be much appreciated!

Burger Motorsports

(#1313)
Old

Default 07-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 60% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (tach = 0 OFF; tach = 1 Boost Only; tach = 2000 Boost on fuel, Meth on speedo ring; tach = 3000 Boost on fuel, Timing on speedo ring; tach = 4000 Boost on fuel, AFR on speedo ring)

Thank you very much terry now I completely understand, what should timing be on the speedo at full throttle, and I also understand without ff wires or ewg wires you can’t change settings like fua fol or any duty bias or configure map 6 when plugging a laptop into the jb4 correct?
(#1314)
Old

Car: M140i xDrive
Default 07-10-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
We've had a few reports of not being able to clear diagnostic fault codes after the latest BMW update. I'm not sure what they've changed on their end, but we'll probably have to adjust the JB4 firmware to match. We've not had any luck in getting our development car updated so if anyone local to us has this issue with not being able to delete fault codes, and can swing by our office for a bit, it would be much appreciated!

Hello Terry,

thank you for your reply.

My BMW indeed had the newest update done by the BMW service partner.
Since the update I have these problems.
Do you have any hints how to delete the error messages?

Kind regards
Marco
(#1315)
Old

Car: m140i
Default 07-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Oh the latest bmw software causes issues does it.....
(#1316)
Old

Car: 335 cpe
Default 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Thats why I tell them every time I go into my dealer. Do not do any updates or scopes on the car. I have a PB on the car and I don't want to screw it up.

Ive had a relationship with this dealer for over 20 years and they are very mod friendly. I am lucky.
(#1317)
Old

Car: X3M40i
Default 07-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Quick noob question here, I'm currently running semi-smoothly map 5 on a x3m40i b58s MPPK2. I've read that some people run flat 16psi on map 6 to make it smoother. I want to try this with the BMS billet intake and 94 octane gas. To do this, I just set 16 psi on every RPM of map 6? Does the map 6 psi represent maximum psi or additionnal psi to the stock psi? Thanks for helping me not blow my engine lol
(#1318)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 07-24-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.yoo
Quick noob question here, I'm currently running semi-smoothly map 5 on a x3m40i b58s MPPK2. I've read that some people run flat 16psi on map 6 to make it smoother. I want to try this with the BMS billet intake and 94 octane gas. To do this, I just set 16 psi on every RPM of map 6? Does the map 6 psi represent maximum psi or additionnal psi to the stock psi? Thanks for helping me not blow my engine lol
Map 6 can be additive or absolute. Just depends on number you put into each rpm. Above 10 is absolute and below is additive.

So 16 across rpm range is absolute and should max out at 16psi. The DME doesn't have control on the absolute side as JB4 forces it to target. Once there, the JB4 will allow actual and DME to match.

If you did 4 across the rpm range you'd be on additive and close to about the same, but DME has a mind of its own so its not consistent. Sometimes you could be boosting more... sometimes less. It uses fuel flow, trims, IATs, etc to adjust itself, so there's fluctuations.

Make sense?

I've had better luck with additives on race gas and pump gas mix. Others swear by absolute. Best is to try both, post some logs, and see which you like best in the end.

Last edited by JBoe; 07-24-2018 at 12:06 AM..
(#1319)
Old

Car: X3M40i
Default 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
Map 6 can be additive or absolute. Just depends on number you put into each rpm. Above 10 is absolute and below is additive.

So 16 across rpm range is absolute and should max out at 16psi. The DME doesn't have control on the absolute side as JB4 forces it to target. Once there, the JB4 will allow actual and DME to match.

If you did 4 across the rpm range you'd be on additive and close to about the same, but DME has a mind of its own so its not consistent. Sometimes you could be boosting more... sometimes less. It uses fuel flow, trims, IATs, etc to adjust itself, so there's fluctuations.

Make sense?

I've had better luck with additives on race gas and pump gas mix. Others swear by absolute. Best is to try both, post some logs, and see which you like best in the end.
Thank you for such a clear explanation! I'll try 16 flat and 4 psi additive and chose the one that is more stable!
(#1320)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 07-24-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.yoo
Thank you for such a clear explanation! I'll try 16 flat and 4 psi additive and chose the one that is more stable!
No worries... everyone on here have been extremely helpful to me. I'm just paying it forward. Start a thread in the support section and let the learning/help begin.
(#1321)
Old

Car: BMW 440i MPPSK
Default 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Hi all,

Bit worried... I'm trying a second JB4 box as the first wasn't acting right with my car.

Yesterday I fitted it plus the EWG wires and today tried Map 6 with Bullitt's settings and all seemed well initially the car was running at high revs with little or no hesitation although in low revs some hesitation - made a few logs too.

However, driving home my car went into limp mode and I now cannot connect to the JB4 which is weird. Proper limp mode too with barely any power. I stopped shut everything down and restarted and it's just the same. Managed to limp home slowly and parked up.

My engine is currently too hot for my to disconnect the JB4 and try without, needless to say I am very worried, and starting my car it sounds like a dog
(#1322)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 07-26-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff
Hi all,

Bit worried... I'm trying a second JB4 box as the first wasn't acting right with my car.

Yesterday I fitted it plus the EWG wires and today tried Map 6 with Bullitt's settings and all seemed well initially the car was running at high revs with little or no hesitation although in low revs some hesitation - made a few logs too.

However, driving home my car went into limp mode and I now cannot connect to the JB4 which is weird. Proper limp mode too with barely any power. I stopped shut everything down and restarted and it's just the same. Managed to limp home slowly and parked up.

My engine is currently too hot for my to disconnect the JB4 and try without, needless to say I am very worried, and starting my car it sounds like a dog
In my limited experience, the "engine starting like a dog" (I assume you mean it takes a few seconds to start rather than right away, and sounds a little funny?) combined with a drivetrain error (limp mode) indicates that you have one or more JB4 harnesses connected, but the JB4 itself is not connected or working. For instance, I can simulate this easily by disconnecting my JB4 from the AMP connector.

In some cases it can also mean your EWG harness/wires are failing - this will definitely cause "limp" mode because the wastegate control will be disconnected meaning the car will shut off all boost to safeguard things.

Restore all factory harnesses and disconnect the JB4 from the CANbus connector as well. Your car will likely be fine, but then you have to see what is up with the JB4.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#1323)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 07-26-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff
Hi all,

Post the logs and codes into the Support section and we'll all take a look for you. I wouldn't be too worried.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#1324)
Old

Car: BMW 440i MPPSK
Default 07-26-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Post the logs and codes into the Support section and we'll all take a look for you. I wouldn't be too worried.
Will do... can't get access to any codes as my car currently won't connect to teh JB4!
(#1325)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Just post the logs for now, then.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...