N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#976)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR
Regarding the current issues around the fuel cap in the DME, what about using the MAF sensor to adjust fuelling e.g. if boost value over X PSI, add X% to the value read by MAF. DME will think more air has been metered than has actually gone to the inlet manifold and therefore add more fuel, resulting in a richer mix? This may overcome the issue of a Load/Fuel limit in the DME tables?
The MAF isn't used at full throttle. You can unplug it all together, doesn't make any difference, other than triggering a MAF unplugged fault code.

What we need to really move the platform forward is the ability to change a few things in the flash file directly. Until then, we just have to make the best of what we can. Fortunately the JB4 provides us a lot of additional tools like the EWG control, WMI control, logging, etc, to push the boundaries as much a we safely can.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#977)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM

So stock standard, in open loop B58 uses speed density, not MAF?

Edit: Sorry, I'm coming from an EVO IX ECUFlash tuning background, where the cars only have narrow band O2's for closed loop at low load, the relied on Load/Fuel tables for higher loads running in open loop. From doing a bit more research it seems that as the B58 has wideband O2 from the factory it effectively runs in closed looped 100% of the time, self regulating fuel as determined by the wideband O2 feedback, plus inlet MAP and temperature. What's the purpose of the MAF then?

Australian 2016 M140i LCI Mineral Grey ZF8 Speed Auto
12.4 @114.6 mph with 2.06 sec 60ft

Last edited by OzBMR; 10-18-2017 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Error in original comment
(#978)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Most modern turbo engines, including all BMWs, run wideband o2 sensors full time. MAF is there for cold idle before O2 sensors heat up and low load transitions.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#979)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 10-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Most modern turbo engines, including all BMWs, run wideband o2 sensors full time. MAF is there for cold idle before O2 sensors heat up and low load transitions.
Are you trying to say that you actually know what you're doing when developing the JB4?

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#980)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Sorry, I couldn't resist. All in good fun

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#981)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Are you trying to say that you actually know what you're doing when developing the JB4?

Burger Motorsports

(#982)
Old

Car: 340i M-Track
Default 10-18-2017, 10:45 PM

Hey everybody

I’m trying to set my map 6 setup
Is 21 psi safe to run with )full bolt on,intake ,EWG,FlexFuel wire) ?
Do I have to make any changes to DUTY BIAS And
PID GAIN
FF/ wastegate adaption
Fuel open loop ?
(#983)
Old

Car: BMW M140
Default 10-19-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeej89
Hey everybody

Iím trying to set my map 6 setup
Is 21 psi safe to run with )full bolt on,intake ,EWG,FlexFuel wire) ?
Do I have to make any changes to DUTY BIAS And
PID GAIN
FF/ wastegate adaption
Fuel open loop ?
You will need meth for that level of boost.

Some other guys who don't have meth have set up map 6 to run 17psi flat, maybe try that.
(#984)
Old

Car: BMW 240i
Default 10-19-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Does the MAF accurately measure mass of air at high loads?
(#985)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdma
Does the MAF accurately measure mass of air at high loads?
No, it's all over the place. I preferred the N54 setup which had a 1.5bar MAP sensor for better solution, eliminating the need for a MAF all together. Must of been some cold start emissions test they were having problems with to have to introduce the MAF sensor.

Burger Motorsports

(#986)
Old

Car: Mini jcw f56
Default 10-20-2017, 05:27 AM

hi bro
2016 BMW 318I LCI B38 engine
which JB4 can use ?
(#987)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-20-2017, 05:03 PM

BMW model I believe, photo of engine bay?

Burger Motorsports

(#988)
Old

Default 10-21-2017, 04:42 AM

Hi, just want to check which is which with the MAP and TMAP sensors for the B58.

In the JB+ install guide 3/1/2017 it says the JB+ connects to the TMAP sensor, but the image shows the sensor at the front of the engine.

In the JB4 install guide it says the TMAP sensor is the one near the oil cap, with the rainbow patch.

The JB+ should be to the MAP not the TMAP?

Thanks.

(#989)
Old

Car: BMW 340i
Default 10-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Hi Terry,

Couple questions and slight back story. I have a '16 340i 8AT with nothing but BMC drop-in filters and I've ran two separate Piggyback tunes. One was a popular branded JB+ equivalent which worked great but it's fixed additive boost values took away some of the linear B58 feel and also hindered shift speeds. I then switched to one of the very popular JB4 equivalents which had amazing power but significantly hindered shift speeds at redline and under power. I also received multiple drivetrain malfunctions during 1-2nd gear pulls which has almost left me stranded in an intersection. With that said I'm looking at a JB4 and hoping some features along with CANBUS has this mostly figured out. So my questions are:

- What Map would be appropriate for PNW 92 octane gas, I assume Map 2?
- Is this boost curved tailored for the RPM signal or is it a fixed 4psi across the whole rev range?
- Does the JB4 suffer from significantly slower shift speeds at redline and under power with the 8AT torque intervention? I've seen this mentioned on just about every piggyback.
- Have you seen any drivetrain malfunctions on the latest Firmware?
- I'm looking for an OEM like linear powerband, just a bit more oomph and drivability to what a JB+ offers.
(#990)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM

Wait until I post videos and logs from NoFlyZone CA on 11/4. I'm sure you'll be impressed and happy to see how well the JB4 can be configured.

FYI, I run a fixed target Map 6 and have never, ever had any shift problems.

(#991)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Wait until I post videos and logs from NoFlyZone CA on 11/4. I'm sure you'll be impressed and happy to see how well the JB4 can be configured.

FYI, I run a fixed target Map 6 and have never, ever had any shift problems.
We'll be there! We'll have to get together for a few runs. Don't think we're bringing the 340 though.

Burger Motorsports

(#992)
Old

Default 10-25-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR
Hi, just want to check which is which with the MAP and TMAP sensors for the B58.

In the JB+ install guide 3/1/2017 it says the JB+ connects to the TMAP sensor, but the image shows the sensor at the front of the engine.

In the JB4 install guide it says the TMAP sensor is the one near the oil cap, with the rainbow patch.

The JB+ should be to the MAP not the TMAP?

Thanks.
Hi, what's the answer to this?

(#993)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM

The TMAP sensor is before the throttle body, it's a 3 wire sensor.

Burger Motorsports

(#994)
Old

Default 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The TMAP sensor is before the throttle body, it's a 3 wire sensor.
Thanks Terry

(#995)
Old

Car: M240
Default Map question - 11-04-2017, 12:12 AM

Hi terry. First off, thank you for all the information and hard work you have been doing. Secondly, i am very new to the JB4 and would like your expertise if possible. I just recently purchased the jb4 for my b58 m240 6mt. I can't tell which map to run. im running 4.5 in ******* **, BMS intake, Dinan 3 inch mid pipe, and the JB4. I tried running map 3, but seems like im possibly getting some fuel cut past roughly 80-100 mph. What map would you recommend for my current mods?

Thank you once again.
(#996)
Old

Car: M240
Default 11-04-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

This thread will be the single source of information for everything BMW B48/B58 JB4 related! Note both engines use the same hardware. The JB4 will detect the different during installation and map accordingly.

B48/B58 JB4 Install Guide: Latest Install Guide

JB4 Windows Interface: Latest Interface Download. When updating your interface you may need to first go to "add remove programs" and "remove" your previous JB4 interface. The B58 JB4 is fully compatible with JB4 Mobile and the REV2 & REV3 blue tooth adapters!

If you need directions on how to connect a laptop to your JB4 to update firmware or how to datalog Click here.

Map Guide as of v8 firmware:

Map0: Stock tuning, fully disable JB4
Map1: Additive map with peak of 3psi over stock added (91 octane)
Map2: Additive map with peak of 4psi over stock added (91-93 octane)
Map3: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added (93+ octane)
Map4: Stock tuning with CANbus features active
Map5: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added & more aggressive timing profile for higher octane fuel (experimental, 93+ octane, bolt on modifications)
Map6: Custom tuning map allowing both additive (below 10psi) and absolute (above 10psi) targeting
Map7: WMI map (boost varies based on WMI additive and map settings)

Firmware:

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_8:

1) Adjusted map numbering per above!
2) Removed intake temperature signal adjustment from map1. Option is now available for map6 or map7 using the 6cyl timing field. 0 disables it, value of 10 increases IAT sensor readings lowering timing, value of 70 decreases IAT sensor readings increasing timing. Adjustment active on maps 6 and 7 only. Experimental feature.
3) Adjusted additive maps so they can be used without OBDII cable

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_7:

1) Added CANflap operation to allow control of the factory exhaust flapper from the drivers seat. Press the BC button for a second to change modes. Left arrow is flapper open full time, right arrow flapper in OEM operation which is generally closed unless at full throttle.
2) Internal CANbus changes to improve speed and operation.
3) Groundwork for virtual flex fuel sensor added. See E85 FAQ below.
4) Wastegate dutycycle offset for cars with modified exhaust that experience excessive throttle closure. When equipped with an EWG connector on the JB4 harness FutureUseA can be used to apply a static negative offset. Generally a value of 30 is a good starting point.

Default Settings:

Attachment 64379

'***************************************
'OBDII In Dash Menu
'***************************************

'0 map menu, map shown on tach
'1 Not currently used
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (OFF tach = 0, ON tach = 1000)
'3 Not currently used
'4 Delete fault codes
'5 1st gear boost limiter, setting for gear boost limiters is RPM = boost * 200. e.g. 2000rpm = 10psi cap, 3000rpm = 15psi cap.
'6 2nd gear boost limiter
'7 3rd gear boost limiter

Copyright Notice:
JB4 Software is Copyright © 2006-2016 by Burger Motorsports Incorporated. All rights are reserved. De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, and redistribution in any form without the prior written consent of Burger Motorsports Inc. is prohibited.

and by the way. should my default user adjustment settings be identical to this or will this change depending on what map i am running. im just so new to this whole process and make sure everything is operating fine.
(#997)
Old

Car: 2016 BMW 340i
Default 11-12-2017, 09:09 AM

Just got the JB4 for my '16 340i ... Gotta say this was a pretty easy install! Not sure I can squeeze the DB9 through the firewall, though, so I can plug the USB into my laptop. Thats ok.

The only thing I might ask for is two things on the OBD-II connector.
* Try to get the wiring on the inside (pedal-side). Currently, the wire is very close the side panel and the wiring is making a rather sharp angle.
* It would be nice if your have a pass-through OBD-II connector so I can put my BT Carista device on it, too!
* Would be nice if you could include a grommet for the firewall pass-through

I am now studying the different maps ... and will post the first log run here for review (or do I post to a different topic on the forum?)

BTW - I am running 95 octane .... hoping I can run Map5 at the track ...
(#998)
Old
Demigod

Default 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegret
Just got the JB4 for my '16 340i ... Gotta say this was a pretty easy install! Not sure I can squeeze the DB9 through the firewall, though, so I can plug the USB into my laptop. Thats ok.

The only thing I might ask for is two things on the OBD-II connector.
* Try to get the wiring on the inside (pedal-side). Currently, the wire is very close the side panel and the wiring is making a rather sharp angle.
* It would be nice if your have a pass-through OBD-II connector so I can put my BT Carista device on it, too!
* Would be nice if you could include a grommet for the firewall pass-through

I am now studying the different maps ... and will post the first log run here for review (or do I post to a different topic on the forum?)

BTW - I am running 95 octane .... hoping I can run Map5 at the track ...
Throw your log(s) up here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

(#999)
Old

Default 11-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Hello from Germany.

Here in Germany we have Gasoline with 95,98 octane and Aral Ultimate 102 octane.
Do you think there is more HP possible in map 3 if i would drive with 93 octane ?
(#1000)
Old

Car: 2016 BMW 340i
Default 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM

Hi christian8510 -

The runs are with 95 Octane, and I do feel the pull lay down or stop pulling hard, which must be when it is leaning out.

I have run, pre-N54 add-on, 100 octane. I feel a significant difference and improvement over standard 92-93 Octane runs.