N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#101)
Old

Car: 09 E92 SG
Default 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Raise fuel bias to 65 and raise duty cycle by another +10 across the board and raise FF by 10. Log is looking good though.
Boost 2 is intake manifold boost.
When you say raise duty cycle, are you referring to duty bias? Should I disable FF adaptation? I also have bit5 - Test Duty Bias Learning Algorithm enabled.

----------------------------------------------------
14 F30 335xi AT- Built Closed-Deck N55, SpeedTech Stage 3 w/ BW-8374C, MHD Flash, xHP Flash, E85, AFE Intake, VRSF 6" Race FMIC, VRSF CP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP and PI
16 Audi S6 - APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU flash, APR Exhaust, SRM Intakes

Last edited by Payam @ BMS; 08-22-2018 at 01:20 PM..
(#102)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmonteiro444
Installed the 3.5bar sensor today. Running Map 6 with flat boost setting at 23psi. Pulls hard as hell. Trims are pretty high from 3000 to 4500rpm. Should I increase the PI fuel bias? Also, does anyone know what "Boost2" is?
what's ur PID gain?

boost way of target.
(#103)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Good luck getting this dialed in. I tried for a month to dial in a jb4 with my speedtech set up and I just could not do it. I kept getting large control function fluctuations where I would overboost by 5-6 PSI then under then oscillate. Every now and again I would get a clean run. I ran JB4 for years on 3 cars but with the larger turbo and stock actuator I just could not get it right. I am MHD only now and controls boost perfectly. Ironically I had better timing with the JB4. I wanted to stay for all the features but I would break loose tires in 4th because spikes. I hope you and the other speedtech guys can get the jb4 working. I am PWG so that may make it worse.

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#104)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135idct
what's ur PID gain?

boost way of target.
I set it to 8. Seems to spool much quicker.

14 F30 335xi AT- Built Closed-Deck N55, SpeedTech Stage 3 w/ BW-8374C, MHD Flash, xHP Flash, E85, AFE Intake, VRSF 6" Race FMIC, VRSF CP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP and PI
(#105)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-22-2018, 12:56 PM

I hope I am reading this wrong, but the spool looks super slow? I am used to WGDC/PWM being maxed during spool. Why does yours start so slow? At WOT this should be in spool mode calling for max WGDC until tip then dropping? My 7670 is at 20+ about 3K. This should be maybe 2-300 rpm off that.

2012 N55 135I, Speedtech 7670, JB4 + MHD, Fuel-it port injection & stage 3 LPFP, M4 A2W IC, Mfactory LSD, KW V1, Apex EC-7, Most importantly CF Roof!
(#106)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturboawd
I hope I am reading this wrong, but the spool looks super slow? I am used to WGDC/PWM being maxed during spool. Why does yours start so slow? At WOT this should be in spool mode calling for max WGDC until tip then dropping? My 7670 is at 20+ about 3K. This should be maybe 2-300 rpm off that.
I'm still dialing in all the settings. This is really only my first day logging. But When I set PID gain to 10 the car felt more sluggish. WGDC was pretty weird in this log.

(#107)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM

I'll give my 2 cents, as I've run pretty much all available control configs: PWG, EWG, stock flash, JB4 only, Flash only, Flash + JB4.

First, this is not a dig on JB4 at all, great product, one of the best bang for your bucks out there for most setups. For me, when running flash + JB4 on our EWG car, I had to use a flash tune to get it near my end boost target, then use JB4 for fairly small on-the-fly boost target updates. And it worked great for that. For example, when running a 25psi config, I would first get my flash tune working solid at 20psi, then use JB4 to run another 5psi on top of it. There were times though that it seemed either the DME or JB4 had adapted away from eachother, and I would have to either reset adapt/reflash, or change JB4 settings.

I think the biggest contributor to it is the fact the EFR turbo is bigger in all aspects, including the wastegate port diameter. So, given the same wastegate actuator displacement, you can see larger flow changes on the bigger/more badass EFR. So the PID control can be slightly more touchy with two control systems.

My last couple cars with internally gated EFR's I have used flash only, and haven't had any issues. I sent one of my PWG flash tunes over to jturboawd and it seemed to be working pretty well for him also. Just my experiences....
(#108)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
When you say raise duty cycle, are you referring to duty bias? Should I disable FF adaptation? I also have bit5 - Test Duty Bias Learning Algorithm enabled.
Yes sorry! Duty bias. Leave FF adaptation, I can tune with it on.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#109)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I set it to 8. Seems to spool much quicker.
low, try 15, then log and see if boost is better on target
(#110)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Speedtech
I'll give my 2 cents, as I've run pretty much all available control configs: PWG, EWG, stock flash, JB4 only, Flash only, Flash + JB4.

First, this is not a dig on JB4 at all, great product, one of the best bang for your bucks out there for most setups. For me, when running flash + JB4 on our EWG car, I had to use a flash tune to get it near my end boost target, then use JB4 for fairly small on-the-fly boost target updates. And it worked great for that. For example, when running a 25psi config, I would first get my flash tune working solid at 20psi, then use JB4 to run another 5psi on top of it. There were times though that it seemed either the DME or JB4 had adapted away from eachother, and I would have to either reset adapt/reflash, or change JB4 settings.

I think the biggest contributor to it is the fact the EFR turbo is bigger in all aspects, including the wastegate port diameter. So, given the same wastegate actuator displacement, you can see larger flow changes on the bigger/more badass EFR. So the PID control can be slightly more touchy with two control systems.

My last couple cars with internally gated EFR's I have used flash only, and haven't had any issues. I sent one of my PWG flash tunes over to jturboawd and it seemed to be working pretty well for him also. Just my experiences....
If I didn't need PI and have it already, my preference is flash only. My last car ran flawless at 28psi flash only. That being said, what base flash would you use? I don't think the JB4 BEF for MHD will work standalone. I also don't EVER want to change the EWG harness plug again lol.

Quote:
Thank you. I'll do that tonight.

Quote:
low, try 15, then log and see if boost is better on target
What is the cause and effect of PID gain? If I understand how it functions, I will be able to make adjustments better.

(#111)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 05:01 PM

PID gain is the the P factor of the PID control loop, where I and D are also scaled on the P value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#112)
Old

Car: BMW M2
Default 08-22-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
So I finally fixed it. I didn't end up needing a longer rod. Turns out, key-off the wastegate flapper is only like 3-4mm open. I started with key-on voltage around 3.9v. At one point I got it down to 1.4v. So I shortened it some more and it jumped back to 3v key-on and the wastegate never even opened. It's amazing how sensitive this thing it.

So I've been running map 7 on E50 for now and all I can say is this thing RIPS! Once I get my new Rev3 installed I'll start doing some real tuning at higher boost.
Congrats on finally figuring this out! If I'm reading this correctly, your EWG flapper was never closing 100%? It was always a little bit open?

I think my M2 (EWG) might need a WG adjustment for my Pure Stage 2 turbo. I'm hitting targetting 22 PSI right now but I'm falling short of target near red-line. My boost leak test shows no leaks as well. So I'm left to think it might be the WG flapper being slightly too long even though I don't have a code being thrown.

Which way did you move the nuts to get the WG to tighten? Toward the front of the car, or toward the rear?

'17 BMW M2 - [DCT/N55] - PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo - JB4 + MHD BEF - Fuel-It Methanol PI
(#113)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav
Congrats on finally figuring this out! If I'm reading this correctly, your EWG flapper was never closing 100%? It was always a little bit open?

I think my M2 (EWG) might need a WG adjustment for my Pure Stage 2 turbo. I'm hitting targetting 22 PSI right now but I'm falling short of target near red-line. My boost leak test shows no leaks as well. So I'm left to think it might be the WG flapper being slightly too long even though I don't have a code being thrown.

Which way did you move the nuts to get the WG to tighten? Toward the front of the car, or toward the rear?
if any wrong with ur EWG install u will see drivetrain on screen and no boost, u r hitting 22psi and hold boost so there's no problem, maybe the turbo it self can't hold boost to redline.
(#114)
Old

Default 08-22-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav

Quote:
if any wrong with ur EWG install u will see drivetrain on screen and no boost, u r hitting 22psi and hold boost so there's no problem, maybe the turbo it self can't hold boost to redline.
I wouldn't touch the flapper, you're just asking for trouble. It's most likely a "boost taper" in the tune.

(#115)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturboawd
Ironically I had better timing with the JB4.
I had the same experience. Even with the MHD BEF timing wasn't as clean as JB4 only or JB4 with a Cobb BEF. I wish I knew why this was though.

2011 E92 335i Auto Sold
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.75 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.55 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | Custom MHD | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | AEM Meth Injection | Pure Stage 2 V3 | Pure Inlet | GFB DV+ | AR DP |
(#116)
Old

Default 08-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I did a whole bunch of pulls last night. Attached is a 2-3-4 gear pull. Car pulls like a freight train. Map 6 is set to 25psi, flat boost. Trims are pegging during spool and WGDC never drops.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-22 21_47_40Map_6.csv (7.3 KB, 112 views)

(#117)
Old

Default 08-23-2018, 12:47 PM

Here's another log showing spool up in 4th. Slow to spool and WGDC just stays up.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-22 21_49_29Map_6.csv (5.4 KB, 109 views)

(#118)
Old

Default 08-23-2018, 01:08 PM

I forgot to mention fuel is E60.

(#119)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Raise duty bias up another +10 across the board, everything else looks okay though.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#120)
Old

Default 08-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Raise duty bias up another +10 across the board, everything else looks okay though.
Iíll give that a shot for tomorrow.

(#121)
Old

Default 08-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Car feels a little more sluggish today overall. And I got throttle closures today on both logs. Trims are still maxing out during spool so I need to fix that. And I think I might have a leak somewhere. Can anyone tell me why WGDC never drops?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-24 11_24_11Map_6.csv (6.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-24 11_58_24Map_6.csv (5.2 KB, 114 views)

(#122)
Old

Default 08-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
PID gain is the the P factor of the PID control loop, where I and D are also scaled on the P value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller
Terry, do you think PID gain should be higher for my application?

(#123)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 08-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Hmm well i'm no expert like terry, but i can tell you when i had a boost leak after installing my charge pipe, the logs looked like these.

Not hitting my target PSI and WGDC is pined at 100%.

Performance: 2014 435i : F33 (convertible) : 8AT : BMS Intake : VSRF Charge Pipe - Down Pipe & FMIC : JB4 Stage 2 : FF Wires : EWG Wires : 40% E85 : XHP Stage 3: E85 BEF

Dragy: "Spammer" 12.72@111.70 | 0-60 4.71
(#124)
Old

Default 08-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammer
Hmm well i'm no expert like terry, but i can tell you when i had a boost leak after installing my charge pipe, the logs looked like these.

Not hitting my target PSI and WGDC is pined at 100%.
I'm going to have to test it.

(#125)
Old

Default 08-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to test it.
any updates