N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 2016 ACTIVEHYBRID 5
Default N55 PTE turbo wastegate help - 03-15-2020, 06:28 PM

Hello

I have made a custom setup for my car because there is no RHD kit for it.

So the details are as follows.

The car is in limp mode right after the installation of the parts. I am having issues with wastegate and going mafless i guess.
This is my first setup and i really dont know about turbo stuff.
Currently i am running MAFless
Secondly i am running a an external mechanical wastegate. ( the stock is internal electrical wastegate )
I am stuck in limp mode past few days and could not find what to do.

Things to do
Disable electronic wastegate
Disable MAF
Custom tuning
Get the car out of limp.

The details are as follows.
Bmw 2016
N55 EWG
Turbo PTE 6262 top mount
Turbo custom manifold
750cc injectors
stock lpfp ( stage 2 ordered )
Chargepipe custom
Phoenix intake manifold
Wagner Intercooler with custom piping
Kitenless dnpipe
Stock mufflers ( maybe go straight if needed )
Spark plugs ngk 97506
Diverter valve used from original turbo as BOV
Tial 44mm wastegate ( electric wastegate harness attached to get rid of check light )
TMap sensor 3.5 upgrade ( ordered )
WMI kit AEM ( installed, wiring not done )

I am getting the following errors attached.

I was just wondering what if i buy a EFR 8374 turbo? Will i get out of this limp?
What other options do i have to get rid of this?

Please help.

Regards,
Zain
Attached Images

Bmw 2016 535i hybrid ( active hybrid 5 ) , kittenless **, charge pipe, bms intake.
(#2)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 03-16-2020, 04:42 AM

The biggest issue I see u have is the electronic wastegate actuator, although you’ve attached it to the harness the DME will move it back and forth to try to establish the closed and open positions, if it’s not physically attached to a wastegte then It will error out and throw codes. As all the aftermarket kits are, your best bet is to swap that turbo for one with an internal wastegte and reinstall the EWG.

2015 M235i EWG, 8 speed AT with XHP stage 4 flash, Super Sprint exhaust with 4” 🐱 less DP, AFE intake, Dinan dual core intercooler, MHD stage 2+ tune, Phoenix racing PI manifold with 750cc injectors, Precision Raceworks cool upgrade kit, Raceworks stage 2 LPFP( soon to be upgraded to a 3 or 3.5) , EOS LPFP controller all on 93 octane pump gas!
(#3)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7
The biggest issue I see u have is the electronic wastegate actuator, although you’ve attached it to the harness the DME will move it back and forth to try to establish the closed and open positions, if it’s not physically attached to a wastegte then It will error out and throw codes. As all the aftermarket kits are, your best bet is to swap that turbo for one with an internal wastegte and reinstall the EWG.
Thank you for your kind reply sir. Now i have two options.
1. The EFR turbos which speedtech is using with internal wastegate and internal bov.
2. Master turbo which bigboostusa is using with internal wastegates. ( i prefer these because they are 1/3 rd the price of EFR,s )

Should i buy the master turbo one?
Need opinions.

Bmw 2016 535i hybrid ( active hybrid 5 ) , kittenless **, charge pipe, bms intake.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-16-2020, 09:58 AM

Have you contacted Terry? You might need custom board or firmware for this.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannerism
Thank you for your kind reply sir. Now i have two options.
1. The EFR turbos which speedtech is using with internal wastegate and internal bov.
2. Master turbo which bigboostusa is using with internal wastegates. ( i prefer these because they are 1/3 rd the price of EFR,s )

Should i buy the master turbo one?
Need opinions.
Presently I’m putting together a custom under mount kit as my car is also RHD and Jeff@Speedtech refused to sell me an exhaust manifold separately. I opted for the BW EFR 8474 because it’s best suited for the BMW control system, it spoils like OEM and it produces more power than is sensible! Because of various experiences doing this over the years I don’t ever go with the cheapest, you always end up paying more to get it right!

2015 M235i EWG, 8 speed AT with XHP stage 4 flash, Super Sprint exhaust with 4” 🐱 less DP, AFE intake, Dinan dual core intercooler, MHD stage 2+ tune, Phoenix racing PI manifold with 750cc injectors, Precision Raceworks cool upgrade kit, Raceworks stage 2 LPFP( soon to be upgraded to a 3 or 3.5) , EOS LPFP controller all on 93 octane pump gas!
(#6)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Presently I’m putting together a custom under mount kit as my car is also RHD and Jeff@Speedtech refused to sell me an exhaust manifold separately. I opted for the BW EFR 8474 because it’s best suited for the BMW control system, it spoils like OEM and it produces more power than is sensible! Because of various experiences doing this over the years I don’t ever go with the cheapest, you always end up paying more to get it right!

Sounds intresting. That means we are almost sharing the same setup except the bottom mount and top mount thing.
So you,ll be using a custom exhaust manifold like me for sure?
Can you please write down all your mods?
How will you hook up the EWG with the turbo?
What power figures are you expecting?
Will you be running mafless?

(#7)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Sounds intresting. That means we are almost sharing the same setup except the bottom mount and top mount thing.
So you,ll be using a custom exhaust manifold like me for sure?
Can you please write down all your mods?
How will you hook up the EWG with the turbo?
What power figures are you expecting?
Will you be running mafless?
All my present mods are in my sig. still to come are the PR coil upgrade kit, PR fuel hose upgrade and custom water ( only) injection, since I’ll e running on 93 pump. Installing the EWG actuator is quite simple! Weld couple threaded bongs to the compressor cover, make a bracket and modify the OEM actuator rod ( or replace it) to connect to the WG arm. Power wise, I wanna push it as far as I can on pump 93 and as far as my tranny and engine block will allow( my crank and rods are forged), so that’ll be somewhere between 6 and 800 rwhp.
For Me if the MAF is there or not is unimportant atm, as it is very small and will not impede flow to the turbo, if at that time it decides to throw codes because of the greatly increase air flow then I will look into removing it then.

(#8)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
All my present mods are in my sig. still to come are the PR coil upgrade kit, PR fuel hose upgrade and custom water ( only) injection, since I’ll e running on 93 pump. Installing the EWG actuator is quite simple! Weld couple threaded bongs to the compressor cover, make a bracket and modify the OEM actuator rod ( or replace it) to connect to the WG arm. Power wise, I wanna push it as far as I can on pump 93 and as far as my tranny and engine block will allow( my crank and rods are forged), so that’ll be somewhere between 6 and 800 rwhp.
For Me if the MAF is there or not is unimportant atm, as it is very small and will not impede flow to the turbo, if at that time it decides to throw codes because of the greatly increase air flow then I will look into removing it then.
800whp sounds coool.
By any chance do you have any link to forum or video to the wastegate setup you mentioned? Will be grateful.
And when will you be installing the turbo?

(#9)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
800whp sounds coool.
By any chance do you have any link to forum or video to the wastegate setup you mentioned? Will be grateful
Nope I do not, I cannot get into it until I have completed fabrication of the manifold and the turbo is placed in its “final” resting place, since the actuator is mounted on the compressor housing and my 8474 is substantially larger than the stocker it doesn’t make sense to prefabricate a bracket now, it has to be made to fit.
Quote:
And when will you be installing the turbo?
I am making the manifold out of sc 40 304 ss weld elbows and pipe, just had an eBay case settled where I paid for 25 x 1.5” elbows that I did not receive. As soon as my second order is delivered I will begin prefab before I remove the oem in an attempt to save some time. The modified right side engine mount is also a major component which I intend to complete before I begin installation. I am hoping to have the 8474 installed somewhere during the coming month.

(#10)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Nope I do not, I cannot get into it until I have completed fabrication of the manifold and the turbo is placed in its “final” resting place, since the actuator is mounted on the compressor housing and my 8474 is substantially larger than the stocker it doesn’t make sense to prefabricate a bracket now, it has to be made to fit.

I am making the manifold out of sc 40 304 ss weld elbows and pipe, just had an eBay case settled where I paid for 25 x 1.5” elbows that I did not receive. As soon as my second order is delivered I will begin prefab before I remove the oem in an attempt to save some time. The modified right side engine mount is also a major component which I intend to complete before I begin installation. I am hoping to have the 8474 installed somewhere during the coming month.
Keep us updated

(#11)
Old

Default 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Sure will!