N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 2E84 BSD Message - 08-24-2021, 02:34 PM

Hello all, can anyone help to figure out what the problem with my water pump is? Car is 2007 E92 335i , code is - : 2E84 BSD, message; electric coolant pump: Missing. -
I saw a lot of threads on this but always see the code saying "No communication" or something like that, but mine says Missing. Checked all the fuses, under hood, in glove box, battery distribution box or whatever, everything seem to be good, am i missing something? Water pump is just dead, not making any noises at all
(#2)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 08-24-2021, 04:58 PM

If your car is not overheating, the water pump is working. A simple test is to activate the coolant bleed procedure (all over youtube).

BSD is like a party line shared by 4 devices to communicate back and forth to the DME.

- water pump
- IBS
- Alternator
- oil condition/level sensor

A problem (short to ground, B+ or high resistance) with the BSD line from any one device can cause problems with communication of another device. Or the failure of failing of one of the devices itself can cause party line communication problems.

If your water pump activates via the bleed procedure you know it's working. Next steps would be to unplug the remaining BSD devices one at a time to see if the code is eliminated. They are relatively easy to unplug. Alternator BSD is on the voltage regulator, one wire. IBS, simply unplug the IBS at the neg battery terminal. Oil condition/level sensor is not as easy as the car must get in the air enough for you to unplug the sensor on the oil pan.

If you have a scope or VOM you can measure for a signal/volts at each connector or the dme. Volts around 7 or so likely indicate proper signal. Volts of 0 or battery voltage indicate a possible problem.

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#3)
Old

Default 08-24-2021, 05:35 PM

I'm still working on the car after a slight fender bender and did not let if overheat yet, just clearing the codes before i drive it and see this code now, but the water pump is not running even if i activate the bleed procedure so its either the water pump itself went out or not enough power for it?

now my next step is probably to activate the bleed procedure and test the plug on the water pump for proper voltage to see if i get power there? but what are the pinouts on that plug? i think it has like 4 wires
(#4)
Old

Default 08-24-2021, 05:50 PM

link to diagram below. also check repair article as it details how to troubleshoot a water pump on N54. it's for a 5 series but it's the same pump/part number

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/pic08.jpg

BMW E60 5-Series Water Pump Testing - Pelican Parts Technical Article

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#5)
Old

Default 08-24-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckmc
link to diagram below. also check repair article as it details how to troubleshoot a water pump on N54. it's for a 5 series but it's the same pump/part number

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/pic08.jpg

BMW E60 5-Series Water Pump Testing - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Thanks a lot will check on that
(#6)
Old

Default 09-16-2021, 04:35 PM

installed a new water pump and thermostat, no luck, still not working, and
i only get one code 2E84 Water Pump Missing

Checked all the possible connections and tried unplugging the alternator, IBS, oil level sensor, just to see what causes an issue, and nothing

anyone have any ideas?
(#7)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-17-2021, 02:57 AM

If the water pump isn't at the local lost & found then it's really a toss up. OK sorry terrible joke, but this is one of my favorite DTC's of all time. As if a water pump just randomly goes missing Love this code.

Anyways, as mentioned before check the grounds, wiring, etc. If nothing looks out of place then it's sort of a guessing game. You've eliminated the pump itself so it has to be some sort of electrical wiring, connection, ground, etc at fault.

2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, PI + Stage 3 LPFP, 100% E85, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54
(#8)
Old

Default 09-17-2021, 06:47 AM

Same answer, one of the components (or wiring to the component) on the BSD network is taking down the signal from the water pump to the DME. It could even be the BSD line from the water pump causing the problem. Maybe try unplugging devices one at a time, clear the code after each is unplugged, drive for a bit and see if the code comes back. This can work easier/faster than waiting for the code to clear on its own. As a side, I would not unplug the water pump because you need it to protect the engine while driving. do a load test and simple continuity test on the water pump BSD line as described in the links above.

Has the alternator been recently replaced? Off brand alternators can sometimes interfere with BSD communications

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#9)
Old

Default 09-17-2021, 07:25 PM

Thank you all for the input, found a problem, positive cable going to a DME box was loose, tightened it up, there goes the water pump flow, thank you all again