N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#4201)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-24-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdingus
Sorry for not following up sooner with more logs. I've attached some map 3 logs from the v23_t7 alpha. How do things look?

I have since only had one instance where the car went into limp mode and reported an "AFR Lean" last safety code.

Unfortunately, this was while my wife was driving the car without me, and she hadn't turned on logging...nor could she remember specifics on when or why it happened. She said she was WOT, and it might have been in between a shift. However, she was going 50mph+, making it pretty unlikely it was the 1st-to-2nd shift if accurate.

I know that's not at all helpful, so I'm curious if you see anything in the logs that might indicate a problem or clue us in otherwise.

Otherwise, drivability has been great on my end. I definitely think you were on to something with the safety being overly sensitive. Let me know if there's any other specific data I should collect for you.

Thanks as always!
Nothing stands out as problematic. I made some addl fueling changes in v24 that may make your specific situation better or worse. But keep the data flowing and we'll get it sorted one way or another!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4202)
Old

Car: G80 Sport 2018
Default 04-25-2021, 02:52 PM

Hi,

I upgraded to the last Firmware on my g80. I am on map 2 and noticed that now the target stays mostly on 3, whereas before, it was mostly 4. Did that change? I was on v22 T4 before.

I switched to map3 and thatbl one does have a target of 6.

That makes me ask: should we reselect a map after a firmware update?

2018 G80 Sport

Jb4 Map 6 with EWG & Fuel Wires
DYI Intake (half BMS intake)
BMS OCC
TB Coolant Bypass
Windbooster Pedal Tuner
(#4203)
Old

Car: 2020 Hyundai Elantra Sport
Default 04-26-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfourmonie
Try resetting the battery as Terry did on the Stinger. Timing should be good, the problem is it's not oxygen rich like E85 blends are.

The alternative is to buy a 5 gallon pale of 100% Methanol. Sometimes you can get it dirt cheap at farming supply stores. Otherwise go to the Sonoco, F&L or VP website and look for your local dealer.

Typically runs about $40-$45 and when you consider how much VP Octanium Unleaded, Torco Accelerator , Race Gas or Boostane cost, this is better, makes more power than E blends, burns cooler and way more power than the octane boosters.

Hold on a second...

Are you just using blends and octane boosters running around around town?
I do not use E30 with octane booster, no. Is that what you mean? Or are you asking if I daily this setup? If so, then yes. I run the car until almost empty and fill either 91+Octane booster (if I can't find a station with E85) or I run an E30 blend. I have AFR settings at 135 across the board when I do the E30 blend so I think those settings probably don't really work when I'm running the Octane booster. It's mainly why I asked. I also want an option that gets me the best gas mileage since E30 basically evaporates in no time lol.

When you say buy 100% Methanol, are you saying use that instead of E85? What's the ratio then for our cars, since we are basically running the same car (Forte GT = Elantra Sport). Or are you saying get a Methanol kit and just run straight 91 and spray Meth?
(#4204)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 04-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khancerto
I do not use E30 with octane booster, no. Is that what you mean? Or are you asking if I daily this setup? If so, then yes. I run the car until almost empty and fill either 91+Octane booster (if I can't find a station with E85) or I run an E30 blend. I have AFR settings at 135 across the board when I do the E30 blend so I think those settings probably don't really work when I'm running the Octane booster. It's mainly why I asked. I also want an option that gets me the best gas mileage since E30 basically evaporates in no time lol.

When you say buy 100% Methanol, are you saying use that instead of E85? What's the ratio then for our cars, since we are basically running the same car (Forte GT = Elantra Sport). Or are you saying get a Methanol kit and just run straight 91 and spray Meth?
I drop down to E20 to deliver for Postmates since fuel economy is sort of important.

Haven't noticed much of a drop in economy, I can still get 390-400 miles to a tank. Octane Booster is really expensive when broken down. I haven't found any evidence of it slowing down the burn rate at higher concentrations. That is why I just dump it in, instead of half a bottle.

Correct you blend M1 Methanol with your pump gas. You can run methanol in your tank at the same levels = 30%

I would use it at the track only but for testing which map works best with it it's not a problem. I've talked to both VP and Sunoco about it and they say it's okay at these levels.

It makes more power than E30, quite a bit more. So much so the car wants more.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Burger Motorsports Water Methanol (45/55 mix)
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
Map 7, E30+WMI, Hoosier Drag Radials
E85 Station Locator (US Only)
(#4205)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 09:10 AM

Oh I separate the products like STP, Lucas. Royal Purple and 108 which are Octane Boosters from products like Boostane, Torco Accelerator, Kloz, Race Gas and VP Octanium Unleaded which are Octane Concentrates.

I don't know if Boostane was still giving away free cases of the stuff if you post a before and after video on YouTube and on social media.

You might want to email them and ask.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4206)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I drop down to E20 to deliver for Postmates since fuel economy is sort of important.

Haven't noticed much of a drop in economy, I can still get 390-400 miles to a tank. Octane Booster is really expensive when broken down. I haven't found any evidence of it slowing down the burn rate at higher concentrations. That is why I just dump it in, instead of half a bottle.

Correct you blend M1 Methanol with your pump gas. You can run methanol in your tank at the same levels = 30%

I would use it at the track only but for testing which map works best with it it's not a problem. I've talked to both VP and Sunoco about it and they say it's okay at these levels.

It makes more power than E30, quite a bit more. So much so the car wants more.
That's interesting, I have never heard of blending 91 with M1 Methanol instead of E85.

Also, how do you get 390-400 miles per tank? I'm lucky to hit 300. Same 14 gallon tank too. Unless you are doing mostly highway driving?
(#4207)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
That's interesting, I have never heard of blending 91 with M1 Methanol instead of E85.

Also, how do you get 390-400 miles per tank? I'm lucky to hit 300. Same 14 gallon tank too. Unless you are doing mostly highway driving?
For Postmates it's about 350 (25 mpg) a tank and is mostly in-town (Hollywood) on E20. 44 miles of that daily is the freeway. Some trafic early evening but full speed at night so that offsets things.

Shift at 2500 rpm just like the car tells me to

I get 400+ miles on 91 no problem. Of course I am running the car down to the nitty gritty.

However most of the time I am E20 because the ignition advance makes the car more fun to drive.

Use this locator for E85 - Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fueling Station Locations

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4208)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
For Postmates it's about 350 (25 mpg) a tank and is mostly in-town (Hollywood) on E20. 44 miles of that daily is the freeway. Some trafic early evening but full speed at night so that offsets things.

Shift at 2500 rpm just like the car tells me to

I get 400+ miles on 91 no problem. Of course I am running the car down to the nitty gritty.

However most of the time I am E20 because the ignition advance makes the car more fun to drive.

Use this locator for E85 - Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fueling Station Locations
See I use that app, but the problem is more that I'll go to a station near me and they'll either be totally out of E85 or the whole station is just out. There are only a couple close by so driving to <0 is not something I want to do.

How many gallons are you filling up when you're basically empty? I have never put more than 13 gallons at the absolute emptiest the car has been, other times it never goes past 12 gallons.
(#4209)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
See I use that app, but the problem is more that I'll go to a station near me and they'll either be totally out of E85 or the whole station is just out. There are only a couple close by so driving to <0 is not something I want to do.

How many gallons are you filling up when you're basically empty? I have never put more than 13 gallons at the absolute emptiest the car has been, other times it never goes past 12 gallons.
The most is 13.5 gallons. On Saturday it was 13 gallons. The nitty gritty is 13.5, I can likely get another 15-20 miles out of it but I like to E-blend so that makes it a bit more challenging.

Seems like E85 is popular around you. For track days I would recommend blending methanol over octane boosters and concentrates. If you are going to do it regularly I highly recommend purchasing a VP Racing Fuel jug which is 5 gallons.

That way you can dump a 5 gallon pale of whatever into it and make it easy to pour it also doesn't give away what you are putting in the car.

Seriously go to the drag strip. I don't know if you are stick or DTC but dump that stuff in there run Map 3 and let her rip, it should run into the 13's, hell you might beat my time.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4210)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The most is 13.5 gallons. On Saturday it was 13 gallons. The nitty gritty is 13.5, I can likely get another 15-20 miles out of it but I like to E-blend so that makes it a bit more challenging.

Seems like E85 is popular around you. For track days I would recommend blending methanol over octane boosters and concentrates. If you are going to do it regularly I highly recommend purchasing a VP Racing Fuel jug which is 5 gallons.

That way you can dump a 5 gallon pale of whatever into it and make it easy to pour it also doesn't give away what you are putting in the car.

Seriously go to the drag strip. I don't know if you are stick or DTC but dump that stuff in there run Map 3 and let her rip, it should run into the 13's, hell you might beat my time.

Are you blending 3.5-4 gallons per fill?

2020 Elantra Sport DCT FBO
JB4 Map 3 w/ E30
(#4211)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Are you blending 3.5-4 gallons per fill?
E20 daily which is 2 gallons + 11 gallons of 91 (E10) = E23

Map 2, sometimes 3 but I rarely get on it day to day. Lately I have been figuring out how much boost we can run with Map 7 and it looks like 60-65 is it on the stock flash.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4212)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
E20 daily which is 2 gallons + 11 gallons of 91 (E10) = E23

Map 2, sometimes 3 but I rarely get on it day to day. Lately I have been figuring out how much boost we can run with Map 7 and it looks like 60-65 is it on the stock flash.
Map 7? Isn't that the WMI map? I would like to know if Map 3 is the most aggressive map we can run with the stock turbo, I know my DCT won't handle anything near 250 ft lbs because of the limiters, but I would love to get this thing dialed into whatever the best settings are when running specific fuel mixtures.

2020 Elantra Sport DCT FBO
JB4 Map 3 w/ E30
(#4213)
Old

Default 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM

Map 3 ran the best and the smoothest dyno graph.

It looks like Map 4 and Map 5 require higher octane as I said I've only been able to run Map 4 with one particular fuel.

Boost Additive 60-65 is Map 3 boost levels w/ Map 7. The timing gets mangled any higher than that.

IMHO I believe that's a combination of demanding too much boost and stock flash torque limitations.

Others are able to make more power because they have flash tunes with it's own set of limitations but they can turn down the torque limiters and also allow more fuel flow, among other things.

I would have stacked already but two particularly loud detractors on Facebook are giving me the push to get more out of the JB4.

I can get another second and 1-2 mph out of the car as it sits right now.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4214)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry for not following up sooner with more logs. I've attached some map 3 logs from the v23_t7 alpha. How do things look?

Thanks as always!
Seems fine to me!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4215)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-27-2021, 06:04 PM

Good news, and bad news.

The good news is anyone who owns a Kia JB4, it's now $50 more valuable than it was before.

Bad news, due to rapidly increasing labor and material costs we've had to raise the JB4 price from $479 up to $529. And still quite a bargain for what you get even with the minor price increase.

Burger Motorsports

(#4216)
Old

Default 04-27-2021, 06:06 PM

There only a few people actively trying to buy a used one. Mostly because people haven't explained what happens when you buy a used one.

2020 Kia Forte GT
6 Speed Manual
JB4+Bluetooth Connect
Whiteline Springs

13.77@103
(#4217)
Old

Car: 2019 AWDGT2
Default 04-27-2021, 06:28 PM

I'll take that as a win! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Good news, and bad news.

The good news is anyone who owns a Kia JB4, it's now $50 more valuable than it was before.

Bad news, due to rapidly increasing labor and material costs we've had to raise the JB4 price from $479 up to $529. And still quite a bargain for what you get even with the minor price increase.
(#4218)
Old

Car: 2019 STINGER GT2
Default 04-28-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
There only a few people actively trying to buy a used one. Mostly because people haven't explained what happens when you buy a used one.
Really now?
(#4219)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default 04-28-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Nothing stands out as problematic. I made some addl fueling changes in v24 that may make your specific situation better or worse. But keep the data flowing and we'll get it sorted one way or another!
It's not much, but I have a bit of logging attached that includes a 0-60ish pull with the v24 update on map 3. Haven't had much time to drive lately, but plan to get more data soon. Figured I'd share what I have now in case there is anything alarming up front.

No safety triggers or other weird driving behaviors yet that I've noticed.

Are there any parameters I should tweak, or even bump it up a map, to more quickly and easily identify possible underlying problems? Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M3_R2_210427_1753.csv (316.2 KB, 44 views)
(#4220)
Old

Car: Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1.6T
Default Consecutive 3rd gear pulls maps 0, 1, 2 - 04-29-2021, 06:59 AM

@Terry

Hey I was wondering if you could look these over and see if all is running good! Specially map 2.
(#4221)
Old

Car: 2019 AWDGT2
Default 04-29-2021, 07:40 AM

Doesn't look like anything attached
(#4222)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT
Default Limp mode / Code P0049 after Primary DP install - 04-29-2021, 08:13 AM

So after a primary ******** install with a little bit of throttle it goes into limp mode. CEL came on
Happened on map 0 and 1. Got a code P0049 Turbo overspeed.
2 logs attached
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Stinger GT JB4
Intakes / Velossa techs/ Intercooler / Secondary DP/ Primary DP/ Muffler deletes / 2.5 Turbo back / HKS plugs
(#4223)
Old

Car: Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1.6T
Default 04-29-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissanta94
@Terry

Hey I was wondering if you could look these over and see if all is running good! Specially map 2.
For whatever reason it didn't upload, hopefully this works!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M0_R7_210429_0642.csv (67.8 KB, 45 views)
(#4224)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-29-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Sting1
So after a primary ******** install with a little bit of throttle it goes into limp mode. CEL came on
Happened on map 0 and 1. Got a code P0049 Turbo overspeed.
2 logs attached
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Stinger GT JB4
Intakes / Velossa techs/ Intercooler / Secondary DP/ Primary DP/ Muffler deletes / 2.5 Turbo back / HKS plugs
I can't use excel files, only native JB4 logs which are CSV format.

Burger Motorsports

(#4225)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-29-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
It's not much, but I have a bit of logging attached that includes a 0-60ish pull with the v24 update on map 3. Haven't had much time to drive lately, but plan to get more data soon. Figured I'd share what I have now in case there is anything alarming up front.

No safety triggers or other weird driving behaviors yet that I've noticed.

Are there any parameters I should tweak, or even bump it up a map, to more quickly and easily identify possible underlying problems? Thanks!
Not long enough to evaluate timing. 0-60 is all launch, little to do with tuning.

Burger Motorsports