N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
jroco_247 jroco_247 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Sep 2018
Car: VW Golf R Mk7 DSG
Default JB4 'Hesitation' and Firmware - 09-13-2018, 01:29 AM

Hi all,

New to the JB4 seen so please bare with me.

Recently fitted the JB4 to my Golf R Mk7 DSG. All was well until I noticed a hesitation/jerk from the engine usually around 2000rpm consistently. At first I thought it might be clutch slip but it is always at 2000rpm ish and is not during gear changes and it's only been happening since I installed the JB4. It's only when using partial throttle, giving it the beans never shows this issue.

I have only ever tried Map 1 but even with Map 0, I still get the hesitation.

Another user had the same issue in a GTI and was told his firmware on the JB4 was an old version and needed to be updated. I believe I am now running the latest firmware: Firmware Version 60/6/5 and Kit Firmware: 03/31/18 but I still have the jerk.

I also cannot get the gauges to work on the JB4 app. The only gauges that work are the boost gauge and Map gauge!?

Can anyone help and confirm if I am on the latest firmware and some assistance with the hesitation/jerk from the engine.

I have a couple of logs I took this morning if that helps.

Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 09-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroco_247
Hi all,

New to the JB4 seen so please bare with me.

Recently fitted the JB4 to my Golf R Mk7 DSG. All was well until I noticed a hesitation/jerk from the engine usually around 2000rpm consistently. At first I thought it might be clutch slip but it is always at 2000rpm ish and is not during gear changes and it's only been happening since I installed the JB4. It's only when using partial throttle, giving it the beans never shows this issue.

I have only ever tried Map 1 but even with Map 0, I still get the hesitation.

Another user had the same issue in a GTI and was told his firmware on the JB4 was an old version and needed to be updated. I believe I am now running the latest firmware: Firmware Version 60/6/5 and Kit Firmware: 03/31/18 but I still have the jerk.

I also cannot get the gauges to work on the JB4 app. The only gauges that work are the boost gauge and Map gauge!?

Can anyone help and confirm if I am on the latest firmware and some assistance with the hesitation/jerk from the engine.

I have a couple of logs I took this morning if that helps.

Thank you all in advance
Hi,

The roughness you are feeling is related to the JB4 not seeing the data coming through. When it doesn't see this then the mapping is relatively crude.
Check to see if your OBD wire is connected properly. If you look at the small plug it has small angles that you can match male to female side. If this looks good then check the OBD wire, if its a RHD car and its been routed out from the pedal side potentially that has melted. (recommended route is out via the battery side).


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Bimurtud Bimurtud is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Vw golf
Default Hiccup at part throttle - 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM

I have a launch edition golf. I've had a problem ever since I mysteriously found the Molex connector unplugged. I don't see any damage to the connector at all or the wiring or any part of the jb4. When I was trying to diagnose the problem I download the new firmware and then after I pluged the cable back in I have had a problem with my car hiccuping when giving it part throttle at the point where boost is really kicking in. It's almost as if I give it part throttle and I back off a tiny bit it does the hiccup or stumble. There are no problems at Full Throttle or say quarter to a third throttle. Do I possibly need a new cable? Is there a way to download the old firmware and try it out again? Can it be FOL issue as it is turned up to 70 in order to run a ******** and 3 gallons of ethanol. Thank you

Joe Cary
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimurtud
I have a launch edition golf. I've had a problem ever since I mysteriously found the Molex connector unplugged. I don't see any damage to the connector at all or the wiring or any part of the jb4. When I was trying to diagnose the problem I download the new firmware and then after I pluged the cable back in I have had a problem with my car hiccuping when giving it part throttle at the point where boost is really kicking in. It's almost as if I give it part throttle and I back off a tiny bit it does the hiccup or stumble. There are no problems at Full Throttle or say quarter to a third throttle. Do I possibly need a new cable? Is there a way to download the old firmware and try it out again? Can it be FOL issue as it is turned up to 70 in order to run a ******** and 3 gallons of ethanol. Thank you

Joe Cary
When you at idle do you see rpm and afr values?
Upload the latest that is here that was put up two days ago and evaluate: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428
If it still persists email me at George@burgertuning.com and we can figure out which version you had that worked for you.


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
antsh antsh is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Sep 2018
Car: B9 A4
Default 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Hi George,

I just want to report that I am having this same exact issue with a 2018 Audi A4.

George, I don't know if you recall, but I emailed you a bit back and forth regarding this. The way it is described here is exactly what I am seeing, a jerk during partial throttle, or perhaps when coming off throttle a bit as if the car decides it is way over boost target and then realizes, never mind and continues. I think it might be a relationship with the way the car controls throttle, and the way the JB4 calculates it's target. I think the JB4 might be reacting a bit too quickly to throttle changes, but I know I am way over simplifying a very involved calculation.

Best,

Anton
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
antsh antsh is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Sep 2018
Car: B9 A4
Default 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM

Doing a little thinking about this, and am wondering if it could actually be a DSG effect instead of an engine related phenomenon.

This usually happen to me when I am not at full throttle (~80%), in D mode (not S) most of the time, and am in the meaty part of the torque band (3500-4500) RPM.

Could it be that this is the DSG releasing clutch pressure in anticipation of an upshift coming up since the pedal isn't to the floor and is causing a momentary slip since I am in the peak of the torque curve?
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroco_247
Hi all,

New to the JB4 seen so please bare with me.

Recently fitted the JB4 to my Golf R Mk7 DSG. All was well until I noticed a hesitation/jerk from the engine usually around 2000rpm consistently. At first I thought it might be clutch slip but it is always at 2000rpm ish and is not during gear changes and it's only been happening since I installed the JB4. It's only when using partial throttle, giving it the beans never shows this issue.

I have only ever tried Map 1 but even with Map 0, I still get the hesitation.

Another user had the same issue in a GTI and was told his firmware on the JB4 was an old version and needed to be updated. I believe I am now running the latest firmware: Firmware Version 60/6/5 and Kit Firmware: 03/31/18 but I still have the jerk.

I also cannot get the gauges to work on the JB4 app. The only gauges that work are the boost gauge and Map gauge!?

Can anyone help and confirm if I am on the latest firmware and some assistance with the hesitation/jerk from the engine.

I have a couple of logs I took this morning if that helps.

Thank you all in advance
Hi guys! I have exactly the same problem as described in post number 1! I have a car Skoda Octavia MK3 1.8gen3 is38 DSG6 DQ250.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
When you at idle do you see rpm and afr values?
Upload the latest that is here that was put up two days ago and evaluate: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428
If it still persists email me at George@burgertuning.com and we can figure out which version you had that worked for you.
George! On the latest version of the firmware for JB4, the same thing happens, the same jerks DSG6 .... Are there any solutions to this problem ???
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
Hi guys! I have exactly the same problem as described in post number 1! I have a car Skoda Octavia MK3 1.8gen3 is38 DSG6 DQ250.
That specific user had no OBD data coming through. At idle can you see rpm moving in the logging page or on the display of the app?


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-08-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
That specific user had no OBD data coming through. At idle can you see rpm moving in the logging page or on the display of the app?
Yes, I can.
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
Yes, I can.
Load the attached firmware and see if this persists.
Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_EA888_8_4_TEST4.hex (58.6 KB, 86 views)


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-10-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Load the attached firmware and see if this persists.
Ok, I'll try this firmware version.
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-10-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Load the attached firmware and see if this persists.
On this version of the firmware, the same thing happens. nothing has changed ....
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
On this version of the firmware, the same thing happens. nothing has changed ....
Try send a log through and we can see if anything can be spotted. Which version didn't it do it? No chance it clutch shudder with the IS38?


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-11-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Try send a log through and we can see if anything can be spotted. Which version didn't it do it? No chance it clutch shudder with the IS38?
Wash, on the 60/6 // 5 version this did not happen .... But I'm not sure, you need to try this version, but I can't download it! This version is not available here on the forum ....
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Try send a log through and we can see if anything can be spotted. Which version didn't it do it? No chance it clutch shudder with the IS38?
I think it is not from IS38. Too small rpm (1700-2250rpm), in this range at partial load there is no boost at all!
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
I think it is not from IS38. Too small rpm (1700-2250rpm), in this range at partial load there is no boost at all!
Here is the 60/6/5. Try and see.
Also make sure you target isn't much higher than what the turbo can actually achieve at that low rpm point.
Attached Files
File Type: hex VW_JB4_OBDII_6B.hex (62.5 KB, 75 views)


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
massage86@mail.ru massage86@mail.ru is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Skoda Octavia MK3
Default 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Here is the 60/6/5. Try and see.
Also make sure you target isn't much higher than what the turbo can actually achieve at that low rpm point.
The same on this version .....
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
S3 Freak S3 Freak is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2018
Car: Audi S3
Default 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
The same on this version .....
Did you manage to fix the problem? Seems like I have a similar issues...
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 03-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massage86@mail.ru
I think it is not from IS38. Too small rpm (1700-2250rpm), in this range at partial load there is no boost at all!

At that range the JB4 is most likely inactive mostly. Try map 0.


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
pr0santos pr0santos is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Mar 2019
Car: 2015 VW Golf 1.8T
Default 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Hi George,

I had the same issue today for the first time. I was running Map 2 with a Golf 1.8T auto trans. It was stuttering at low RPMs and even at idle about a minute into driving. When I applied throttle it would jerk up and down in RPMs. I changed it to Map 0 and the problem went away. Later I did a test drive back on maps 1 and 2 and the problem didn't come back so I'm just going to monitor and see if it happens.

IDK if its related but I got these codes when i scanned.
431A No description found
3B12 No Description Found
0000 No description found
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
Bimurtud Bimurtud is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Car: Vw golf
Default Firmware - 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM

I reinstalled the old firmware. Fixed, thank you.
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimurtud
I reinstalled the old firmware. Fixed, thank you.
Which one did you load?


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
George @ BMS's Avatar
George @ BMS George @ BMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 821
Join Date: Aug 2009
Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0santos
Hi George,

I had the same issue today for the first time. I was running Map 2 with a Golf 1.8T auto trans. It was stuttering at low RPMs and even at idle about a minute into driving. When I applied throttle it would jerk up and down in RPMs. I changed it to Map 0 and the problem went away. Later I did a test drive back on maps 1 and 2 and the problem didn't come back so I'm just going to monitor and see if it happens.

IDK if its related but I got these codes when i scanned.
431A No description found
3B12 No Description Found
0000 No description found
Double check the connection at the top of the manifold. Unplug and put back in to place and make sure you lock the grey tab. Fault relates to that sensor.


2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Reply With Quote
(#25)
Old
Alexot Alexot is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Sep 2018
Car: VW Tiguan 2018 220hp
Default 04-28-2019, 11:48 PM

Same hesitation I have on my Tiguan.
Even when running on Map 6 with zeroes in boost list I have it, at about 1500-2000rpm, even If all day long I running slow, never higher than 2500rpm, and very interesting that after switching to Map 0 everything is fine.

And if I start using smth more than 0 on low rpm hesitations became catastrophic, that's why my map now has zeros until 4500, and since 4500 I have extra boost, it's feeling like stock and very comfortable, but why these hesitations happened? And why they gone after switching to Map 0?

My car is Tiguan 220hp + Wagner.

P.S. same issues has every Tiguan owner I know on cars made since 2018, and do not have owner of the Tiguan made in 2017
P.S. Connections are checked

Last edited by Alexot; 04-29-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2018, N54tech.com