N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default M4 JB4+BEF+E85 Dyno Testing - 01-22-2018, 06:34 PM

Hey guys,

Had a chance to spend a little time on the dyno today with our development M4. Driven by Payam@BMS it's a 2015 manual trans with around 80k miles. Bone stock except for a JB4, BMS intake, and our development back end flash map loaded via MHD. JB4 is using latest v1.8.1 firmware with the higher speed data logging.

Testing today was done on straight E85 so we could test the limits of the factory fuel system. Some quick notes:

1) The high pressure pump keeps up with straight E85 relatively well at this power level, but pressure starts to nose off around 6000rpm at max boost.
2) Low pressure held fine even under higher RPM higher fuel demand.
3) The factory turbos still run out of steam at higher RPM. Exhaust modifications might extend the usable range slightly.
4) We ran the tuning with relatively conservative ignition advance peaking around 9 degrees. A couple timing drops here and there but mostly due to the back to back runs and working the turbo beyond its efficiency range at higher rpm. I meant to try running higher advance at higher RPM where the turbos drop off, but didn't have time to test it today. Next time.
5) Just for kicks I did a run on existing additive map1 and map2 for comparison. With the BEF loaded we'll be reprogramming all the JB4 map options so you retain a similarly wide range of power delivery options at your fingertips.

Lots more to come...
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-22-2018, 09:08 PM

This car is such a blast to drive around. Gobs of torque down low, it just gets out super quick. Can't wait to see what it will do once we really turn things up

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 01-23-2018, 01:10 AM

I still find it sad to see power dip so fast after 5k rpm...
But there are solutions for that.

F21 M140i - 100-200: 6.95
Audi TTRS - 100-200: 4.47 60-130: 5.16
F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.45, 60-130: 5.1
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#4)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Sport
Default 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM

great guys ... S55 stock uff

'13 BMW 335ix Speedtech stg 3 !
10.76 @128mph, MHD Custom + #LUCHOJB4, E40 + meth 22psi ~ Drag Track online set up on instagram @luchocampusano ➡
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW 320i
Default 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
This car is such a blast to drive around. Gobs of torque down low, it just gets out super quick. Can't wait to see what it will do once we really turn things up
Can't wait to see 60-130 and 1/4 times on Dragy.
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM

What an awesome torque curve. Totally agree with the Pure guy, even a mild upgrade could help flatten out the end of that power curve. I can just imagine a larger 600+ torque curve. =)

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
What an awesome torque curve. Totally agree with the Pure guy, even a mild upgrade could help flatten out the end of that power curve. I can just imagine a larger 600+ torque curve. =)
Yes definitely the turbos holding it back. We can make a ton more torque down low but figured what's the point. As is right now the shift point of around 5500rpm would give the best racing results.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 01-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Yes, I agree. A big surge of torque is not the best way to get track times, but it sure would be fun to drive, to some extent. It would be pleasantly driveable and trackable if the curve is flattened .. My next platform is likely to be the S55, depending on how long I'll stick out the N54, which has been going amazing over the last several years.

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#9)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks for sharing on this, Terry - please let us know updates. Exclited about the apparent strength of the stock fuel system, esp compared to my N54.

Do you feel this represents maximum peak power on the stock turbos? Or might there be more to gain in mid range to 5500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
Yes, I agree. A big surge of torque is not the best way to get track times, but it sure would be fun to drive, to some extent. It would be pleasantly driveable and trackable if the curve is flattened .. My next platform is likely to be the S55, depending on how long I'll stick out the N54, which has been going amazing over the last several years.
Same here ... FBO + Tune M3 that hangs with single turbo N54 #'s? yes please, especially for a DD with all dat torque.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4

2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Thanks for sharing on this, Terry - please let us know updates. Exclited about the apparent strength of the stock fuel system, esp compared to my N54.

Do you feel this represents maximum peak power on the stock turbos? Or might there be more to gain in mid range to 5500?

Same here ... FBO + Tune M3 that hangs with single turbo N54 #'s? yes please, especially for a DD with all dat torque.
Timing was relatively low so I'm sure we can squeeze another 15whp out of it in a "dyno glory" scenario. But practically speaking I think 550whp is about where you should expect the factory turbos to peak at.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: F80M3
Default 01-25-2018, 01:00 PM

Sweet!!

Z4 GT3 BodyKit | Pure Turbos | Fuel It | LiteSpeed Racing Wheels | GT250 APR Performance Wing | Studio RSR Rollbar | GTHAUS Meisterschaft turbo back | DinMann CF parts | RECARO CS Sportster | JB4 | CSF Cooling System | Full Custom interior | 2M AutoWerks | Viral vinyl werks | Toyo Tires | Ceramic Pro | Oneighty NYC | DOC Race | M3/M4 BBK | SSP Upgraded Clutches | Custom Coilovers with Hydraulift System By Status Gruppe |
(#12)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 01-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Will there be BEF maps for non E85...for example, exhaust modifications & 93 octane?

2008 Jet Black E92 N54, JB4, FBO, Meth
2011 LeMans Blue E92 N55, JB4, ********
2014 Estroil Blue F30 N55, JB4
2018 Mineral Grey F80 M3 - JB4, *********, BMS Intake
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Yes, we have a back end flash map for pump gas.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: 2016 AY m4
Default 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM

hey terry im really interesting in getting a e85 BEF please need more info ,thanks
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Directions here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51166

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: E92 M3
Default 01-30-2018, 01:36 PM

Great stuff guys, congrats Payam!

T, do you think there's any chance with Pure Turbos that we can run E85, with 100% Meth on the stock fuel system?

16 F82 M4 ZCP - DCT - JB4 - Meth - 1/2 Mile 161MPH
08 E92 M3 - DCT - Built Motor - ESS VT3-750 SC
710 WHP/495 WTQ STD CF @ 14.4psi
6.1s 60-130MPH (Drag Strip)
174.12 MPH Shift-S3ctor Standing 1/2 Mile - E9X WR
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5
Great stuff guys, congrats Payam!

T, do you think there's any chance with Pure Turbos that we can run E85, with 100% Meth on the stock fuel system?
Thanks Drew!!
I think he was testing that on Jasons M3, no idea how far he got though.

Burger Motorsports