N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i n54
Default Clutch engaging when pedal pressed, grinding into gears - 03-24-2017, 06:06 PM

2009 e92
Changed clutch 3,000 miles ago...
ACT 6 puck (new)
Clutch Masters lightened flywheel (new)

Clutch started grinding into gears and when pedal was completely pressed clutch would start to engage no matter what gear 1st - Reverse.

We assumed it was the throw out bearing since we didn't change that when we changed the clutch. Swapped the old bearing out for new OEM from BMW, didn't fix it.

Then we assumed it was the Slave cylinder. Picked up the part from BMW and installed today. Now car goes into gears. Very minimal grinding almost none at all but when pedal is completely pressed clutch still wants to start engaging little by little. As if the slave isn't holding pressure. Bled clutch correctly. No air. Only using dot 4 fluid.

Master?
Clutch pedal adjustment?

What are your thoughts
(#2)
Old

Car: 09 135i
Default 03-24-2017, 06:49 PM

Interested in this as well. My 135i sometimes does this under normal driving conditions. I'm running the 335is clutch with mfactory smfw, new pilot and throwout bearing. I've since changed my slave cylinder and still get the grinding noise about once every other week. Usually only happens when the cars still cold. I'm thinking master is the next thing to troubleshoot.

FBO MT 09 135i w/ E60
(#3)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Check to make sure the flywheel is completely pressed.

There is a pin that presses the flywheel I think or that's what I understood it to be,, it might be too small. If you clutch is also engaging sometimes low and high, then it could be that pin. Some production models differ on the diameter size of the pin.

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT

Last edited by BuraQ; 03-24-2017 at 09:30 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: 09 AW 135i
Default 03-25-2017, 01:15 AM

Take the transmission out again and check the flywheel. It's probably not aligned with the pin on the crank. Pin will get crushed, and the fw will not sit flush. I've seen this before.

2009 135i ///M Sport - 6 SPD
JB4 . MHD . E85 . FUEL IT! STG 3 . FUEL IT! PI . BMS DCI . ER CP . PURE STAGE 2 . RB INLETS . OUTLET . SYNAPSE DV . WAGNER EVO 2 . UR DOWNS . HPF EXHAUST . 335is CLUTCH . MFACTORY SMFW . BC COILOVERS . M3 SUSPENSION . M3 VERT SWAY BAR . M4 PLUGS .
(#5)
Old

Car: 09 135i
Default 03-25-2017, 01:48 AM

This pin?
The dowel pin you need to set the flywheel on in order to torque it down?

FBO MT 09 135i w/ E60
(#6)
Old

Default 03-25-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtdahooligan
This pin?
The dowel pin you need to set the flywheel on in order to torque it down?
Yes that's the pin.

If you're not 100% that it was aligned correctly it's worth a look before buying any more parts.

The car it happened to was very much like OP and went through many new parts until discovering the fault. It had unusual vibrations and difficulty getting into gears. Also when off the ground, wheels would spin when in gear and clutch fully depressed.

JB4 . MHD . E85 . FUEL IT! STG 3 . FUEL IT! PI . BMS DCI . ER CP . PURE STAGE 2 . RB INLETS . OUTLET . SYNAPSE DV . WAGNER EVO 2 . UR DOWNS . HPF EXHAUST . 335is CLUTCH . MFACTORY SMFW . BC COILOVERS . M3 SUSPENSION . M3 VERT SWAY BAR . M4 PLUGS .
(#7)
Old

Default 03-25-2017, 10:23 PM

We made sure that was in flush. I'm not really the betting type but I would bet we have it in flush. It's been 3-4 months. Plus swapping out the slave fixed the issue %85.5. Just have 1:50 shifts grind. Gears still slightly hard to press into 1:10 times.

These symptoms are not of a clutch going out so if it's not the Master and we go into the flywheel and that don't fix it.... I'll be lost af
(#8)
Old

Default 03-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAILUR
We made sure that was in flush. I'm not really the betting type but I would bet we have it in flush. It's been 3-4 months. Plus swapping out the slave fixed the issue %85.5. Just have 1:50 shifts grind. Gears still slightly hard to press into 1:10 times.

These symptoms are not of a clutch going out so if it's not the Master and we go into the flywheel and that don't fix it.... I'll be lost af
That's what the mechanic at the shop said, he was sure. Did you align the pin? That is the question. Nobody could tell it wasn't flush just by looking at it. Only with fw off could you see the pin was crushed flat, about the height of a washer. When they changed the slave and bled it improved as well and with the clutch stop removed it was almost gone and very driveable. But still, slight symptoms indicating something wasn't right.

Anyways, that was that car so might not be your issue. Just wanted to share cause it was scary similar.

(#9)
Old
Banned

Car: 335i
Default 03-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Try bleeding with a vacuum pump. Remove cdv also if not already done
(#10)
Old

Default 03-28-2017, 04:36 PM

I've already replaced the CDV with the one from BMS thinking this would help to remedy the situation as well. Didn't do much that I could tell
(#11)
Old
Banned

Car: 335i
Default 03-28-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I've already replaced the CDV with the one from BMS thinking this would help to remedy the situation as well. Didn't do much that I could tell
Try vacuum bleeding. I remove the CDV all together and clip the line back in. If you don't you'll smoke the clutch in no time. It slips the clutch to reduce harshness on engagement. I've seen ceramic discs get fused to the PP. anyways vacuum bleed and see if it helps. Sounds like it's air bound