Old

Car: 2008 335I
Default 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM

I gotta get me one of these
(#77)
Old

Car: '09 335i coupe
Default 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Terry how's the backend flash coming for the ST? Also, how effective will Map 5 be if at all? Ideally I'd like to have 3 maps to use for the setup, but if it at least Map 5 could be the pump gas map and Map 6 for pump + meth it would be a start. Anything to not have to hookup the laptop and tinker everytime I decide to use meth or an e85 blend.

2014 2500 Cummins- Pretty much everything.
09' Single Turbo 335i SOLD
(#78)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM

We'll have more firmware and ST oriented changes released in the coming weeks.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#79)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We'll have more firmware and ST oriented changes released in the coming weeks.
Awesome! Hopefully my kit should be running within december. You'll be hearing a lot more from me LOL

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#80)
Old

Default 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
Awesome! Hopefully my kit should be running within december. You'll be hearing a lot more from me LOL
Same here, can't wait to get the car back on the road

(#81)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Hope to get the E92 back on the dyno today for a little pre-race tuning.

Burger Motorsports

(#82)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 11-21-2013, 11:31 AM

one day is all youll need you think? To be happy... mexico road better be open for some high speed runs for logging tomorrow lol...

any eta on the n55 coming back ?

e92
(#83)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

The N55 with Vargas' hybrid turbo is all done. I think we get that back mid next week. Then off to the dyno with it to see what it can do.

Burger Motorsports

(#84)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 11-21-2013, 11:37 AM

nice .. gl this weekend. Fun times.

e92
(#85)
Old

Car: 2011 E90 335i
Default 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM

I heard ATR for the N55 from cobb should be ready next week just for the heads up.
(#86)
Old

Default 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemarr 335i
I heard ATR for the N55 from cobb should be ready next week just for the heads up.
I believe they even have some beta maps already available, not that Terry would need them, but just stating where they are with it. Can't wait to see some videos of n55 stage 2 versus N54 stage 2...

(#87)
Old

Car: 2011 E90 335i
Default 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmarovi
I believe they even have some beta maps already available, not that Terry would need them, but just stating where they are with it. Can't wait to see some videos of n55 stage 2 versus N54 stage 2...
You and me both brother
(#88)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Including labor, fluids, tax, etc, around $10k installed and out the door.
What if I installed my own ect...what would be the cost?

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#89)
Old

Default 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
What if I installed my own ect...what would be the cost?
~$8k for the kit with supporting parts, just check out FFtec.com and add to the kit price whatever you don't already have. In your case I know you have everything except for the kit and probably sensor and y-pipe to connect to existing dual exhaust, so that comes to about $8k (I was looking at the kit before)

(#90)
Old

Car: any
Default 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Terry 607whp? Saw the post on instagram what fueling/ boost

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
(#91)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM

For those interested in today's testing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...878#post285878

Burger Motorsports

(#92)
Old

Default 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Terry,

what about using a manual boost controller in conjunction with the JB4?

(#93)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Why?

Burger Motorsports

(#94)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Just as an update went down to a .028" pill and it barely had any effect vs. no pill at all. So that is a bust. I also tried a top port configuration with it but that is not compatible with the factory solenoid due to an internal check valve. So it looks like the best way to run the factory solenoid for single turbo is as shown in the first post with an addl bleeder tee only if you want to target more than 20psi.

I'll move on to the MAC solenoid testing/development now. Which is what FFTEC suggests and includes with their kits. So I expect it will work well once I get the software setup right for it.
FYI:

It took me awhile to fully understand how the factory and MAC solenoid really work. Fortunately Anthony @ FFTEC is already very familiar with it so I was able to sap some knowledge off him. The top mount setup is what I'm using now and what FFTEC suggests along with the MAC solenoid.

This first thing is it took me awhile to realize that the solenoid itself is not a boost bleed but a boost interrupter. Rather than bleeding off a percentage of boost coming in out the vent it instead blocks all boost from the wastegate port while simultaneously venting the port to atmosphere. As a function of duty cycle. This is why the restrictor pill testing was ineffective. It was based on a flawed understanding of what the solenoid is doing.

So learning that I realized the factory solenoid has a flaw when reversed. It does not let the wastegate vent below ~4psi due to (what I suspect is) an internal check valve. What that means is when used in a bottom mount configuration it can't quite let enough boost out of the wastegate port to get up to the full spring rate. Thus why it's been limited to ~19psi rather than the theoretical ~26psi the spring should allow. This check valve also prevents it from being used in top mount configuration as the ~4psi left at the top port just causes boost to spike. These issues can be overcome by adding a bleed between the solenoid output and the wastegate reference (to bleed off that last ~4psi) but that is effectively a boost leak which is not a great idea.

So the MAC valve doesn't have this limitation and lets the wastegate port bleed down to 0psi. Thus can be used as a top or bottom port. I don't yet fully understand why one setup is preferred to the other but FFTEC suggests a top port so I started with that. So far so good. Russell @ BMS is working up FF algorithms now for it.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#95)
Old

Default 11-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Why?
Well, since you were having troubles with the OEM solenoid, that was my though to do as someone I know is doing and just run a manual boost controller in line, then run map 6 on the JB4 targeting whatever the boost controller is set to. I guess my question would be, with these larger turbos not running out of breath, on say the 6466 setup what would the map 6 setting look like? Pretty flat across the board or no? I'm just wondering if the manual boost controller would help any surge or not. Keep in mind I'm a complete as I have mentioned to you probably 100 times now...LOL

Last edited by mjmarovi; 11-30-2013 at 02:16 PM..
(#96)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Definitely don't want a MBC. You want the JB4 to precisely control boost electronically. Which is can do with the OEM solenoid (up to 20psi) or the MAC solenoid (as high as the turbo can go).

Burger Motorsports

(#97)
Old

Default 11-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Definitely don't want a MBC. You want the JB4 to precisely control boost electronically. Which is can do with the OEM solenoid (up to 20psi) or the MAC solenoid (as high as the turbo can go).
Just emailed Mike@FFtec to get the solenoid, this definitely sounds like it will be the ticket.

Also, for the tuning of this, I know you had mentioned before that when we really start to push things it will be more important to see timing on cylinders 2-6. I totally understand how it doesn't matter if no one is looking at it, BUT, is there something we can do to see this timing at least during the initial tuning possibly by dyno at the least, and then let the JB4 take over from there? That way we know at least the tune was good to begin with?

(#98)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Got the MAC programming in and working well. Now, I need to spend some time sorting out this NLS timing flatline
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#99)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmarovi
Just emailed Mike@FFtec to get the solenoid, this definitely sounds like it will be the ticket.

Also, for the tuning of this, I know you had mentioned before that when we really start to push things it will be more important to see timing on cylinders 2-6. I totally understand how it doesn't matter if no one is looking at it, BUT, is there something we can do to see this timing at least during the initial tuning possibly by dyno at the least, and then let the JB4 take over from there? That way we know at least the tune was good to begin with?
On timing 2-6 we're working on it. No break through yet, though.

Burger Motorsports

(#100)
Old

Default 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
On timing 2-6 we're working on it. No break through yet, though.
Terry,

I have all the parts I need to finish my ST setup and start tuning right away once the shop gets to that point (1-2 weeks), just not sure what to do as far as WG and BOV springs. I'm using a Tial 44mm WG and a Tial BOV, got the 3.5 BAR map sensor with adapter from you, and the MAC solenoid. I'm thinking i'm good to go, but for someone planning on running ~20psi daily and upper 20's on track day, what springs should I be using? Posting here as I'm sure others will be wondering the same.

Thanks man!