N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4: Proposed boost safety change - 04-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Hi guys,

We come across this issue often where customers don't understand how the global boost safety setting works and trigger annoyance failsafes when in fact nothing is actually wrong.

The current boost safety logic:

1) User enters the boost safety on user adjustment page. Default is normally 18psi.
2) The JB4 is programmed to target no more than 1/2 below this safety boost level regardless of map definition.
3) If boost exceeds the safety setting for more than 1 second the JB4 reverts to a safety map.
4) The boost failsafe also doubles as the in dash boost gauge "max" reading.

Proposed boost safety logic:

1) The "boost safety" field is reassigned to some other task. The max boost gauge reading is set based on the boost sensor. 20psi for 2.5bar, 36psi for 3.5bar.
2) The JB4 is programmed to trigger a boost safety switch IF boost exceeds the map target +2psi for more than a second on twin turbo firmware, or +3psi for more than a second on single turbo firmware.

Possible issues will crop up when running out of the boost sensor range. So in these situations the boost safety will consider the sensor being used. e.g. a 2.5 bar can't have a safety higher than 20psi, and a 3.5 bar can't have a safety higher than 36psi.

Thoughts?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-28-2018, 03:44 PM

I like that idea.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 08 335i
Default 04-28-2018, 03:55 PM

I like it to.....

e92 MT 08
Single T
FBO
Dual 450 lpfp
BEF
MeTH!!!!!
E85 100/
(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-29-2018, 06:58 PM

I feel like the gauge setting would be kinda crappy for people with 4 bar sensors like myself.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 04-29-2018, 11:15 PM

I'd still like to be able to set max for dash gauge.

2007 335xi (I8A0S kline) -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#6)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 04-30-2018, 11:17 AM

Sounds reasonable, if I understand it correctly.

But I have question for the current logic...
So for stock twin turbos, would one need to manually set the boost safety to 36 in order to achieve 18 psi w/out triggering boost safety?

Chet (Kids name for my car) is a 2008 535i Sport+, JB4 G5 ISO, MHD BEF (pump), AFE Cold Air intake, VRSF CP, (genuine) VRSF D-P, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwROLL TIDEwww
Sounds reasonable, if I understand it correctly.

But I have question for the current logic...
So for stock twin turbos, would one need to manually set the boost safety to 36 in order to achieve 18 psi w/out triggering boost safety?
If the boost target of the map is 18psi, then the boost safety would be 21psi (map target +3psi), unless equipped with a 2.5bar TMAP sensor which would cap the safety at 20.5psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 04-30-2018, 01:44 PM

Sounds like a decent change except for the changes to the gauge, unless your gonna come out with gauge backs for each tmap sensor. (please) Ie if target is half of set boost its easy to see on the gauge where boost should be, half. Not so if its done the way you propose. On the other hand doubling set boost is not good practice or safe for those running high boost. I'd vote to implement your safety changes but leave the area for scaling the gauge. And bms boost gauge faces......

2008 BMW 535i SPORT - FBO - VTT GC V2 - JB4 - Duane Pugh BEF - Bms PI Meth
(#9)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Thanks for explaining and being patient with my ignorance.

Chet (Kids name for my car) is a 2008 535i Sport+, JB4 G5 ISO, MHD BEF (pump), AFE Cold Air intake, VRSF CP, (genuine) VRSF D-P, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM

The stock tmap can reach 21 psi? Or 20 psi?

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#11)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 04-30-2018, 02:57 PM

I vote yes on this. Should have been this way all along, IMHO.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushan
The stock tmap can reach 21 psi? Or 20 psi?
20 Psi is the best to be safe.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: F25
Default 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Make that +2 or +3 deviation from target adjustable and I'd be on board. Otherwise, I like it the way it is.

F25 X3 35i M Sport | Pure Stage 2 turbo + inlet | UR de-catted thingy | VRSF Race IC | FTP full thingies | BM3 PTF tuned | XDI-35 HPFP | Stage 2 LPFP | Ethanol mixed | WMI | Oil cooler | xHP | 50iX brakes
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker
Make that +2 or +3 deviation from target adjustable and I'd be on board. Otherwise, I like it the way it is.
Whatever it is will be fixed. The idea is to remove user adjustment that isn't really offering much benefit.

The boost setting could easily be retained for the in dash gauge window though. Another idea on the in dash gauge would be to have it auto scale per map. Where 80% on gauge is 100% of map target, 100% on gauge is over target 20%, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: 2009 E82 135i Coupe LeMans Blue
Default 05-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Could you also factor in the FF and DutyCycle values to see if boost control is improving or if it's indeed out of control? That might be better than just a fixed threshold. Then maybe a second hard limit set higher.
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-01-2018, 04:55 PM

The boost safety is more of a catch all. I'm afraid if we try to layer in too much additional logic we'll defeat the purpose. For example if boost jumps 10psi over target but is slowly dropping down so it's 7psi over target after 1 second. We should still trigger the safety IMHO.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 05-04-2018, 06:59 PM

I feel its a good idea. Not much difference other than making it more simple.
(#18)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Sport
Default 05-05-2018, 12:51 AM

I like the idea.
It is safer for new models.

'13 BMW 335ix Speedtech stg 3 !
10.64 @129mph N55 World Record ~ Drag Track online set up on instagram @luchocampusano @speedmotoringsolutions ➡
(#19)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 09-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Bear with me as I'm very new to all this...

I think I'm having this issue described here - If I accelerate from around 3000rpm then everything is fine but if I drop 2 or 3 gears (DCT) and go WOT from 4500-5000ish then I get map 4 and a double blink.
I was wondering if it's because of the spec - '09 UK spec 335i DCT, DCI, d-ps, latest f/ware JB4 G5 + MHD BEF, BMS meth with 1xCM5 50/50, BUT stock TMAP.

I was thinking maybe I should change the boost safety to 20 from 18 but do you think I should be looking at the 3.5Bar TMAP?

Last edited by Roi354; 09-15-2018 at 05:15 PM..
(#20)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
Default I keep getting flashed to map 4 for overboost - 06-15-2019, 12:49 AM

I keep getting flashed to map 4 for overboost. Mod list includes: jb4, mhd bef, ******* **, upgraded arm intercooler, gfb dv+, arm intercooler piping, arm charge pipe, walbro 450. I'm targeting 18 sometimes even 19 psi in map 1 and have solid afrs but I keep getting flashed into map 4 for overboost since fail safe is at 18psi. Just wondering how to raise to 20psi to max out my 2.5tmap?
(#21)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 06-15-2019, 06:50 AM

The safety is dependent of target correct?So for example,one day if I decide to run more boost with meth and another day less boost for testing,whatever that target is at that moment it will be about a + 2/3 psi over target safety correct?i am using a 3.5bar,if so I think that's a good implement,takes the worry out.

E90 SEDAN '08
-SiNGLE TURBO AUTO TRANS*FSB G5 ISO*100%METH**FUEL iT!STAGE 2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
(#22)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Correct, it goes by each map.

Burger Motorsports