N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i n54
Default AVOID LIONS TOWING or else (pics included) - 04-27-2017, 09:27 AM

First allow me to apologize for being long-winded ...

Picked car up from dealership, was having fuel pump issues and decided to repair myself rather than spending $1,863 with BMW since I wasn't confident in their diagnosis.

Called AAA and specifically requested a flat bed from AAA because the car is lowered on springs. The driver gets there and is waiting for me to sign papers for the release of the car and is taking a nap in the truck (older guy, 7 mins of waiting lol). Fingers crossed, I try and crank the car again, no fuel... fux... ok, so I push the car out and line it up so we can prepare to load the vehicle. The driver hooks the car up and starts pulling the car onto the flat bed. I stop him and say that every other time this car has been on a flat bed we have always had to place wood down under the ramp to get clearance. He tells me that it won't be necessary and if he just goes up slowly there won't be any damage. I decide to let this" professional" handle his business. On the way up, the lip is scraping on the ramp pretty bad. The passenger side area where bumper and fender meet gets ripped off and the bolts rip out of the poly in the bumper and the bumper gets pushed right up scraping over a brand new, 3 week old headlight that has had zero damage... Once we get the car home he starts to unload the car. This time I pretty much insist to have wood down since his ideas clearly don't work. He places 4x4's under the bed and completely miss one of the 4x4's on the way out with the tire falling off the wood and the wood scraping and damaging the wheel (I made a video of this happening). After he unhooked the car I was complaining about all the damages and his reply was, "Well, at least it's here now." And casually got in his truck and left lol

I called the AAA who filed a report and then put me in touch with the manager of the tow company who came out to see damages. He handed me a card and said for me to come back to his shop and they will make a bracket to get the bumper to stay on the car. Hahahhaa I politely declined. They ruined the bumper and the lip fully cracked and they want to Mickey Mouse the repairs now. No thanks. I'll send you an estimate from my shop of choice. Have a good day.

Now with the good...
•Checked all of the fuses. No dead fuses.
•Pulled the ekpm and swapped with eBay one. Still no fuel on crank so we put back the OEM ekpm assuming no fault there.
•Open up fuel pump to check power to the lpfp... I find more Mickey Mouse.

Apparently, the dude that installed my Stage II didn't splice off much wire and tried to twist 2 very short wires together and hold it together with electrical tape. I'm assuming from the driving and vibration the 2 wires that didn't have much exposed wire to properly even twist began to separate. Once barely touching there was spark that in turn, melted the tape.

We removed the shyt wires. Replaced with new wires. Use the soldering gun and soldered the wires together. Used heat shrink tape, pushed the button and the car starts and run perfect. No codes. Mission complete. Drive to fill e85 and the front lip starts to deconstruct on the way to the gas station. Perfect phailur

Last edited by PHAILUR; 04-27-2017 at 10:04 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-27-2017, 11:09 AM

fwiw you would be much better off using compression fittings than solder. I know this may not have been an option given the length or space you are working in. Just wanted to point it out, solder + vibration is a no go.

Glad you got it fixed and **** tow truck drivers.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#3)
Old

Default 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Compression would have been best for sure. If I ever need to go back in there, will correct
(#4)
Old

Car: '08 535xi
Default 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Vibration is less a problem with soldered splices than if there's continuous or periodic flex at the joint, such as door or trunk cables that twist and flex. Just immobilize the joint and it'll be fine - tape it to an adjacent wire is enough to support it.

(#5)
Old

Default 04-27-2017, 08:59 PM

I zip tied the wires together. Probably should be enough. I'll just make sure the kids don't play in the fuel tank anymore lol
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM

You always have to watch all tow truck drivers VERY closely, do not trust their 'professionalism' or care for your car. Even stock-ride-height cars can get damaged on a flatbed. the attitude displayed by the driver about the damage is pretty typical.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Default 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Once he told me that he does this "all the time" I knew it was time to just let him shoot himself in the foot. I didn't bother. I'll take the damages done to the car and collect on his negligence and upgrade everything he damaged and more on their dime lol