JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 135i
Default Misfiring again: fueling issues, plugs/coils again, or something else? - 02-03-2022, 09:49 AM

So a little back story on the issue and car/mods, last summer I was having a misfire issue under WOT and full boost. At the time I was FBO running JB4 w/ a BEF and 92 oct. The codes that I pulled from that issue were:

-36BE I've had this constantly since the JB4 install
-2EFE Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-2FO3 Combustion misfire, cylinder 5
-2EE0 Combustion misfiring. several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
-2EE4 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 1
-2EF1 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 5: Fuel injection deactivation

I replaced all the plugs with NGK 97506 gapped to .022" and upgraded to Precision Raceworks N55 ignition kit, cleared the codes, reflashed for the coils, and proceeded to drive it without issue for the rest of the summer until I parked it for the winter.

Fast forward to this week and I decided to drive it again because we've had some decent weather and I've missed driving it. On my way home from work I go to try and pass someone, jump on it and instant misfire. I pull over read the codes and only get a 2FB3 (Ignition, cylinder 1: Combustion period outside tolerance), I clear that go to pull back out onto the highway and immediately misfire again and go into limp mode this time under partial throttle, I pull over again read the codes and get:

-2FB3 Ignition, cylinder 1: Combustion period outside tolerance
-2EFE Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-2EFF Combustion misfire, cylinder 1
-2EE0 Combustion misfiring. several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
-2EE4 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 1

I was also logging when I pulled back onto the highway and I'll attach that. I guess my question is: Can this be plugs or coils again seeing as they are new (under 1k miles) or is this a fueling issue (hpfp, injectors) or could it be something else I'm not considering?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P5_M2_R1_220202_1651.csv (7.1 KB, 67 views)

2013 135i DCT, 16k miles, BMS Intake/OCC, JB4, ETS 7" IC/CP, AR Down Pipe, GFB DV+, Berk Street Catback, 92 oct. - Totaled

2013 135is DCT, 90k miles, BMS Intake/OCC, JB4 w/ Pump BEF, ER CP/IC/TIC, PR Coils, VRSF Down pipe, GFB DV+, BMW Performance Exhaust, 92 oct.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 02-03-2022, 11:10 AM

That logs not really going to tell me much but I don't see a fueling issue. Cant really diagnose misfires based on a log anyway.

Frankly, I prefer to stick with stock coils and NGK plugs...too many times people have created their own issues "upgrading" coil packs.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2013 135i
Default 02-03-2022, 11:17 AM

Thanks for checking it out for me. This weekend I'm gonna pull the plug in 1 and check it and if nothing is obvious there I'll swap the coils around and see if the problem moves with that coil. If all else fails I guess I'll probably end up going back to stock coils.

2013 135i DCT, 16k miles, BMS Intake/OCC, JB4, ETS 7" IC/CP, AR Down Pipe, GFB DV+, Berk Street Catback, 92 oct. - Totaled

2013 135is DCT, 90k miles, BMS Intake/OCC, JB4 w/ Pump BEF, ER CP/IC/TIC, PR Coils, VRSF Down pipe, GFB DV+, BMW Performance Exhaust, 92 oct.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2014 F32
Default 02-06-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
That logs not really going to tell me much but I don't see a fueling issue. Cant really diagnose misfires based on a log anyway.

Frankly, I prefer to stick with stock coils and NGK plugs...too many times people have created their own issues "upgrading" coil packs.
I took this approach on my Ď14 f32 and stock plugs w/ the NGK is still unusable. Iím putting all my old hardware back in today as I await for the bosch plugs. Sucks.