JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 335xi n54
Default Overcharging - 05-18-2022, 01:50 PM

I was driving and my radio turned off and my cluster lit up like a Christmas tree. I pulled over and got my car towed back to my place. I did a voltage check and noticed that I was overcharging (over 15v) I measured voltage a couple times after that and sometimes it would not charge at all (11.8) and other times it would go back up to over 15v again. I decided to order a new voltage regulator and replaced it, and it still is overcharging. I also did a battery test and the battery is in perfect health. Before I go ahead and order a bosch alternator is there any other testing I should do before hand thanks.

codes:
2e97: generator
2dec: power management (battery)
2deb: power management (vehicle electrical system)
(#2)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 05-19-2022, 08:34 PM

Similar situation, battery was the problem. I had the battery tested at an Autozone and it was 'good'. I replaced it simply because of age (4 years) and that fixed it. I did have a symptom of low charge/no start if I let the car sit for 3 ot4 days. My charge system was trying to charge as high as 15.7 volts. You can have the alternator tested as well but I had trouble finding an auto parts store with the right BMW adapter for their tester. Also if you have the alternator out of the car, might as well replace it.

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP