N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Golf r
Default Jb4 reinstall then limp mode and cel, now OK...? - 07-04-2019, 05:31 AM

Hey everyone. So reinstalled the jb4 and went to drive and all hell broke loose for a mile until I shut her down and removed the jb4. Limp mode, juddery power, cels, no good. Went and took the jb4 out for now and car runs fine, no cels or limp mode but I ran my obd eleven and still have several active errors related to the sensors in module 33 (obd-ii)... Again no cel light, car runs great, just active error codes in the obd-ii module. Thinking I will keep the jb4 off for now, but just wondering what is going on and if codes will clear themselves as I can not force them to clear with them being active. If I didn't have the obd eleven I would have no reason to think anything is wrong. Looking to see if I have anything to worry about or not and why the jb4 may have done this. Here is what the codes are showing from obd eleven :

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2019-07-04 05:28

---------------------------------------------------------------
33 OBD-II

Trouble codes:
P0108 - Manifold Abs.Pressure or Bar.Pressure High Input
Active
P0238 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor (A) Circ. High Input
Active
P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit
Active

Last edited by Theryatch; 07-05-2019 at 06:16 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 07-04-2019, 06:02 AM

Went out with the cheap Walmart scanner and it pulled them too and could not clear... Still runs fine though.
(#3)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 07-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Double check the OBD wire was put on properly on the small end.
Also see if the harness is secured to the circuit board correct and that plug D is installed properly. Faults are typical of a Jb4 that isn't getting power (Plug D is used for this).

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#4)
Old

Default 07-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Will do and will look to verify. But I am having this issue with the jb4 not installed now. It's like the fault is stored and I can't clear it. Would plugging the jb4 back in help clear too asthe ecu looking for a different signal? I'm just wondering if the codes are causing any issues or if they will go away after some time? Like I said, it runs fine with it unplugged... Thank you for the quick reply and happy 4th.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theryatch
Will do and will look to verify. But I am having this issue with the jb4 not installed now. It's like the fault is stored and I can't clear it. Would plugging the jb4 back in help clear too asthe ecu looking for a different signal? I'm just wondering if the codes are causing any issues or if they will go away after some time? Like I said, it runs fine with it unplugged... Thank you for the quick reply and happy 4th.
If its triggering without the JB4 present then something else is at play. Try reseat the connection that is on the boost sensor on the intake manifold making sure you use the locking tab. Also reseat plug C on the side of the manifold as that one is for the fuel pressure fault.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#6)
Old

Default 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM

So unplug and replug all connections then? I'll try that when I'm back at the car tomorrow. Should I test connections with the battery on or disconnect it? Just odd to me that it's a persistent code only in the obd 2 module and that it isn't causing a cel or reduced power. Car just had a bunch of work done around the fuel pump and map sensor area and all so they may have possibly done something to the map and other sensors...? Car is still well in powertrain warranty and all too, just don't see how the jb4 could cause this after its not in (like you mentioned).

Last edited by Theryatch; 07-05-2019 at 06:18 AM..
(#7)
Old

Default 07-05-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
If its triggering without the JB4 present then something else is at play. Try reseat the connection that is on the boost sensor on the intake manifold making sure you use the locking tab. Also reseat plug C on the side of the manifold as that one is for the fuel pressure fault.
When you say reset, do you mean just unplug and replug in or is there another thing to do for this? Thanks
(#8)
Old

Default 07-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
When you say reset, do you mean just unplug and replug in or is there another thing to do for this? Thanks
Sorry mean to say re-seat. So just remove and place them again.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
(#9)
Old

Default 07-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Could this have shorted the sensors or even caused the ecu to go and reset to where I would need a new one? I wouldn't think the jb4 had that ability, but just wanted to get your thoughts.
(#10)
Old

Default 07-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Could this have shorted the sensors or even caused the ecu to go and reset to where I would need a new one? I wouldn't think the jb4 had that ability, but just wanted to get your thoughts.
It hasn't happened before. The JB4 rather steals voltage from the sensor so the probability of it damaging anything is next to nothing.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI