N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335i coupe
Default RB / Vargas stage 2 kit? Inputs on people with VTT kit please chime in - 07-22-2014, 11:33 PM

Hey guys, my e92 335i 07 Has had turbo WG rattle forever. The car currently has 71k on it and I'm going to be upgrading the turbos as i think they are failing. The car has been burning A Lot of oil recently (1qt) a month to be exact. Inspected the car top and bottom and cannot find a drop of oil anywhere except a tad bit on the rear turbo housing. Also the last few weeks i have been hearing too much whistling coming from the turbos and my duty cycles are very high.

With in the next week or so i should be pulling the trigger on a turbo upgrade. The car Is FBO no meth and 6AT with Alpina flash.

RB- So far all i have read and heard and seen from RB turbos have been A+ in performance, customer service, power, reliablity. Everyone recommends them since they have been installed on many cars and are proven.

VTT- The vargas stage 2 twin i hardly see anyone get them (even thought they cost just a little less) I have not seen too many dyno and logs like i saw on the RB's. I understand Vargas has been around Forever building turbos for trucks and non bmw vehicles and some would say they have more experience in turbos than RB.

The point of this thread i want the people that have VTT on their car to please help me decide. Why did you choose the VTT over the RB and if you have dyno without meth on the car how is the power,reliability and how long have you had them. What did you do to the car To help prepare for the UPGRADE?

I am FBO, no meth. 255LPFP with new stock FP. NEW plugs,new coils, Had the OFHG replaced with gaskets. I don't have OCC. What am i missing?
(#2)
Old

Car: '08 135i
Default 07-23-2014, 09:20 AM

I have Vargas Stage 2s on my car. I'm still working through some issues that are unrelated to the turbos themselves (coils, VANOS control O2 sensors.....general money pit type stuff) , so I haven't been able to get the car on a dyno. The turbos looked great and I haven't had any issues with them.

I purchased mine, and it took me a long time to get them installed on the car due to my work schedule, so about 8 months went by from the time I bought them until I got them installed. There was a screwup on my order originally (got misplaced and didn't ship on time), but they were responsive and absolutely took care of it. I was very impressed with how quickly they were responding, and they bumped me from Stage 1 to Stage 2 for the trouble. Based on what I've been reading on the forums there seems to have been a shift in the way they're dealing with customers though, and I'm not sure what's driving that.

I emailed them right before I did the installation asking if they had an install guide and got a pretty strong response about the warranty being void if they weren't installed by a qualified shop. This made me suspect they were having problems that they were blaming on the installation, and made me a little apprehensive about the whole purchase.

All said, I can't complain about the product though. I took the car on a 3k mile road trip the day after I finished the installation and I've done another 2k locally and haven't had any issues with them.
(#3)
Old

Car: '08 135i
Default 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Oh, and FYI my car had 100k miles on it, but had been having wastegate rattle since about 60k miles. When I got the stock turbos off the wastegate hinges were absolutely shot. I put a hand pump on them and pulled the actuator all the way closed and they were still flapping all over the place. It's a horrible design.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Rb/vargas are the same price and both are good quality/good shops IMO. depends which way you want to go. 500whp seems a little low for spening 3k+ so im looking at the stage 3 vargas twin turbo Garret set up but those are like 8k+ and i dont think my auto trans would be to happy about that.

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#5)
Old

Car: 07 335i coupe
Default 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Thing is i need new turbos anyways and 1500+ labor on new turbos OEM is ****. So id rather upgrade. And i know 500WHP isn't worth the 3k but I'm not spending 8k on ST plus having to change out transmission and blah blah blah LSD+ LOCKDown .. I'm not tracking the car. its my DD
(#6)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjobeid
Thing is i need new turbos anyways and 1500+ labor on new turbos OEM is ****. So id rather upgrade. And i know 500WHP isn't worth the 3k but I'm not spending 8k on ST plus having to change out transmission and blah blah blah LSD+ LOCKDown .. I'm not tracking the car. its my DD
Sounds like you already made up your mind! get the RBs if your deciding between the two!

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM

aren't turbos warrantied to 82k? I got mine done by dealership free for wastegate rattle at around 76k iirc.

07 e90 w/ 4l80e & Motiv750