N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M240i
Default Map7 Add50 Log Check - 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Everything looks good to me, just a sanity check. Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map7-Add50.csv (6.1 KB, 74 views)
(#2)
Old

Default 10-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Bump...
(#3)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 10-24-2018, 01:42 AM

Looks good to me but I'm new around here!
(#4)
Old

Default 10-24-2018, 08:00 PM

Thank you. Hopefully BMS will chime in soon.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Log itself looks OK but it's a B58. Will run great one day and stumble the next, at these high power levels, due to the fuel limiter.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 10-25-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Log itself looks OK but it's a B58. Will run great one day and stumble the next, at these high power levels, due to the fuel limiter.
Surprisingly, I haven't seen such issues. When it's well over 100 degrees there's some power loss, but that's to be expected. Now that it's 90's or less, it's a right foot beast. I've been very happy thus far. The stock turbo seems maxed though, so I'm stuck for now. Good place to be stuck though. Lol.
(#7)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 10-26-2018, 05:30 AM

I don't find the fuel limiter an issue as such, just let the long term fuel trim learn upwards. I got over 440bhp and close to the turbos limits without meth or a flash map. More of a pain is the over sensitivity of the throttle to boost control, if this could be damped back a bit and just let the boost control system do it with the wastegate, it would solve the majority of power drop outs.
(#8)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM

I have an M240 as well and I do see what appear to be fuel limiter issues on map 7. DME BT seems to wobble and cause the throttle to cut. Been working with Terry to diagnose. Switched to running Map 5 with meth. I hadn’t tried it due to no bolt ons but with meth the fuel seems sufficient to overcome. This map appears to work better for me thus far, but I haven’t given up on 7 yet. What settings are y’all using? PID, FOL, FUA, duty bias, etc settings. I see issues at additive 30 even so I haven’t touched something like 50! And what meth mixtures? Thanks!

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#9)
Old

Default 01-06-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f9kandy
I don't find the fuel limiter an issue as such, just let the long term fuel trim learn upwards. I got over 440bhp and close to the turbos limits without meth or a flash map. More of a pain is the over sensitivity of the throttle to boost control, if this could be damped back a bit and just let the boost control system do it with the wastegate, it would solve the majority of power drop outs.
I have no drop outs and have limited boost in 1st and 2nd ge to keep car from becoming uncontrolled du yo wheel spin. Still breaks loose in 3rd, but it's manageable. My FOL is 10 and trims/FF stable. Car just goes.
(#10)
Old

Default 01-06-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
I have an M240 as well and I do see what appear to be fuel limiter issues on map 7. DME BT seems to wobble and cause the throttle to cut. Been working with Terry to diagnose. Switched to running Map 5 with meth. I hadn’t tried it due to no bolt ons but with meth the fuel seems sufficient to overcome. This map appears to work better for me thus far, but I haven’t given up on 7 yet. What settings are y’all using? PID, FOL, FUA, duty bias, etc settings. I see issues at additive 30 even so I haven’t touched something like 50! And what meth mixtures? Thanks!
All my settings are default except FOL. I'm at 10 for FOL. Running 50/50 mix and Boostane additive to get me around 94OCT. I also limit boost in 1st to 15psi and second to 17psi. 3rd and higher is full boost. Lastly, I have WMI activated at 12psi. All is perfect, never a hiccup and it spins 3rd.
(#11)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the response.

You have the same car as I, so I can’t explain it. Terry thinks I’m hitting up against a hard limit on 7. On 5, i get a little less boost but almost the same performance because the timing is so good. Still not as good as 7. I might try a higher meth concentration. I don’t know if Boostane would help my case, that’s the one variable. Did you get this kind of performance even without the additive?

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (50%) / 93 Octane
(#12)
Old

Default 01-06-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

You have the same car as I, so I can’t explain it. Terry thinks I’m hitting up against a hard limit on 7. On 5, i get a little less boost but almost the same performance because the timing is so good. Still not as good as 7. I might try a higher meth concentration. I don’t know if Boostane would help my case, that’s the one variable. Did you get this kind of performance even without the additive?
I hit throttle closures and timing issues with 91OCT before I ever added Boostane or WMI. I had to run map 2 and sometimes had issues with it. Then I tried running race gas. My issues went away, buy map 3 had me at fuel limits. To save cost, I tried Boostane and found that I could run map 3 in same way, but for far less cost.

Next, I went to WMI. However, I cut my use of Boostane to 1/2 per fillup instead of the whole can. I had some stumbles at additive 40, but found that my FOL was to high. Trims were dropping under 25 and the DME responded negatively when this occurred. I put FOL down until I had consistent trims above 25 and less than 45. Then I started increasing additive. At 50 I had great boost and trims with 50/50 meth and FOL at 10. I'm only running fuel harness... no EWG. It took about 5+ pulls to get FF dialed in, but once it learned all was stable.

Since I know my octane is good, I have my Meth Safety Setting as a 1. I took many logs along the way to ensure timing was never an issue. From time to time I do a log to ensure all is still well... about once a month.

I'm now at Additive 55. I noticed 60 sometimes hit 23+psi. At 55 I see 21 as a high and average of 20 across most of powerband. That was during 100+ degree weather. Now that it's cooler, I see same boost and better timing = More Power. I don't spoof the IAT. The car has been strong. I just got a Draggy and hope to have some times to backup my statements within the next few weeks.
(#13)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-06-2019, 09:30 PM

Man that’s a great story. Thanks for taking the time to write. It’s given me a few ideas. I have 93 octane so map 3 was always easy and I didn’t need additives. My first attempt at more power than map 3 was map 6 with e15-e18 and high FOL. This worked well up to about 17 or 18 psi depending on weather but the car overboosted sometimes and had trouble holding boost other times. The problem with ethanol as an additive is that while it might boost octane, sometimes it exacerbates the fuel limits at higher power levels because it has less energy so you need more of it than gas . So boostane might work better as might higher meth levels. I also can adjust the FOL down, I have the same trims issue on map 7. I use both the FF and EWG harnesses. EWG helped a little with overboost but I’m gonna try with and without after making some of the other changes.

(#14)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-07-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I'm now at Additive 55. I noticed 60 sometimes hit 23+psi. At 55 I see 21 as a high and average of 20 across most of powerband. That was during 100+ degree weather. Now that it's cooler, I see same boost and better timing = More Power. I don't spoof the IAT. The car has been strong. I just got a Draggy and hope to have some times to backup my statements within the next few weeks.
Hey, one more followup for now - do you have an idea what your *DME* boost targets ("DME BT") looked like before you added octane, and now, after you have? I would love to see some telling before/after logs if you don't mind. Thanks!

(#15)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 01-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I put FOL down until I had consistent trims above 25 and less than 45. Then I started increasing additive.
I notice that when i decrease my FOL my boost hits target also. I try to keep my trims around the low 30's since I'm also running 4 gallons of E85.

|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M-Performance exhaust|VRSF|BMS intake|JB4|BMS Meth kit Dual BM7 nozzles|
(#16)
Old

Default 01-08-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Hey, one more followup for now - do you have an idea what your *DME* boost targets ("DME BT") looked like before you added octane, and now, after you have? I would love to see some telling before/after logs if you don't mind. Thanks!
Search for my posts. I've got logs in several of them as I progressed. They are all out there.
(#17)
Old

Default 01-08-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
I notice that when i decrease my FOL my boost hits target also. I try to keep my trims around the low 30's since I'm also running 4 gallons of E85.
Yeup... B58 is fickled, but if you can keep it happy she'll sing. Lol.
(#18)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Quick update for everyone trying to help me out . Now running at 100% meth with FOL 10 and all other settings at defaults. Additive 40 on map 7 still hesitates but not as badly as it used to. I then removed the EWG connector and that actually seemed to help even more. No idea why. After a few runs to dial in, things steadily improved in terms of the frequency and length of the closures. Still not 100% solved but better. Definitely gets better as engine warms, too. Maybe because DME BT adjusts? My next thing to try is raising octane via boostane to see what happens. Things are not “singing” yet but will keep at it as long as there is something to try. Who knows.

(#19)
Old

Default 01-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Quick update for everyone trying to help me out . Now running at 100% meth with FOL 10 and all other settings at defaults. Additive 40 on map 7 still hesitates but not as badly as it used to. I then removed the EWG connector and that actually seemed to help even more. No idea why. After a few runs to dial in, things steadily improved in terms of the frequency and length of the closures. Still not 100% solved but better. Definitely gets better as engine warms, too. Maybe because DME BT adjusts? My next thing to try is raising octane via boostane to see what happens. Things are not “singing” yet but will keep at it as long as there is something to try. Who knows.
Post up a log

(#20)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanks, will do, as soon as all this ice melts. It's been rough weather-wise in the mid-atlantic, tracetracks are all closed, and roads are slippery.

(#21)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
Post up a log
Log with 100% meth, 40 additive, FOL 10, FUA 0, no EWG harness connected.

Meth flow was not 100 for all runs but over 60 so probably close to full flow. I'll refill and do another log as well just to rule that out as a factor.

Thanks dudes.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190116_1309_v9_FOL10_100%METH.csv (27.2 KB, 12 views)

(#22)
Old

Default 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Log with 100% meth, 40 additive, FOL 10, FUA 0, no EWG harness connected.

Meth flow was not 100 for all runs but over 60 so probably close to full flow. I'll refill and do another log as well just to rule that out as a factor.

Thanks dudes.

Bring your FOL back to 60 and log again. 10 is too low your trims are maxed.

(#23)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM

FOL 60 helped a little but the hesitation/wobbles still happen when it's really cold out. Still, the 100% meth change has made a significant improvement - thanks for that tip. Sunday afternoon, temps were in the high 40s and things were very smooth with no hesitation and good power. Monday/Tuesday it's been much colder and the DME BT is really wobbling again. I really think DME BT is very sensitive to temperature. Spoofing IAT does not help. I'm going to add Boostane next to see if it helps.

FWIW, Map 5 with meth flowing is much better for my car. Almost no wobbling/hesitation, and because the timing is more aggressive, the power is almost the same as Map 7 on Additive 40. In fact, Map 5 runs great with just meth, a JB4, FF wires, and the BMS intake. I don't have any other bolt-ons.

Here's a Map 5 log with meth and FOL at 60. I'll send equivalent logs on Map 7 in a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190129_0935.csv (9.1 KB, 6 views)

(#24)
Old

Default 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM

I've been busy and absent for a bit. I can tell you that my car definitely fluctuates with temp changes. When cold out, it slows a bit. When around 60-70, it runs great. At higher temps, it gets a bit weak at times. There's some weird tuning on the DME. One day I'll get a flash and then be able to open thing up more constantly. Lol.