N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#126)
Old

Car: Audi A4
Default 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM

I flashed the newest firmware today and it seems to work well on the Touring CVT, but it's been too cold to do any pulls for logging. We're at -14c/7F right now and even with winter tires, you can't get any good traction.

One thing I've noticed on the Honda JB4 vs my other VW Group 6 JB4 is that the target boost on the Honda always reads either 3 or 3.5 psi, even if the JB4 is not intervening. My Audi shows the target at 0 unless the JB4 is adding boost, and then it shows the additional boost it is adding. Is the Honda JB4 always adding either 3 or 3.5 psi, or is the value not being read correctly yet?
(#127)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Yes that is how we left it programmed for now, while the target is displayed it's not adding that boost unless you're under heavy throttle and making a lot of boost to start with. ECU_PSI is boost reported to the ECU.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#128)
Old

Default 02-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes that is how we left it programmed for now, while the target is displayed it's not adding that boost unless you're under heavy throttle and making a lot of boost to start with. ECU_PSI is boost reported to the ECU.
Thanks Terry. Hopefully we get some decent weather soon and I can log a pull or two.

Really enjoying the Honda JB4!
(#129)
Old

Default 02-18-2019, 10:51 AM

What should the boost safety be set to? My logs show 3, but I see other logs posted here with a value of 20. I'm on map 1 and I haven't adjusted any of the settings.
(#130)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM

It's not active in the current firmware, but I'd set it to 22psi for now. That will be the future default setting in v4.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#131)
Old

Car: 2018 Civic Si
Default 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven0five
I'm on map 1

Mishimoto intake, resonator delete, Vibrant 1040 muffler, JB4 tuner, Firehawk Indy 500 rubber, Lamin-X fog light covers, Xentec 35w 6000k HIDs, custom d20 shift knob, 20% tint, red "H" badges.
(#132)
Old

Default 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinist

I'll work up to map 2 soon.
(#133)
Old

Car: Honda C-RV
Default 02-19-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven0five
I'll work up to map 2 soon.
Don't worry your note the only one still on map1
(#134)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Was able to borrow a PRL intake for comparison to the BMS intake and made a video of some of the obvious differences.

Burger Motorsports

(#135)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Looks great! Also, PRL's comment on the vid is super respectful. Legit.

Anyway, I'd be totally open to being sponsored and test that Si MAF housing after you send it to me.

Mishimoto intake, resonator delete, Vibrant 1040 muffler, JB4 tuner, Firehawk Indy 500 rubber, Lamin-X fog light covers, Xentec 35w 6000k HIDs, custom d20 shift knob, 20% tint, red "H" badges.
(#136)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinist
Looks great! Also, PRL's comment on the vid is super respectful. Legit.

Anyway, I'd be totally open to being sponsored and test that Si MAF housing after you send it to me.
We always turn our video commenting off to avoid them becoming a **** show, but there is a thread on the facebook group for anyone interested reading it. We made the video in response to the various accusations that our intake was a PRL copy. PRL is active in the discussion.

On the Si housing sure thing. Want the 0% trims version or the current higher flow version? We'll have to come up with names for them. Street and Race are already taken.

Burger Motorsports

(#137)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
On the Si housing sure thing. Want the 0% trims version or the current higher flow version? We'll have to come up with names for them. Street and Race are already taken.
Oh snap, really?? Sweet!!

I'll do the "race" one; since the Mishimoto one I currently have is more or less the stock size, it'll be good to try something different.

As for names, it's silly as hell but as a play on Burger, you could call the stock sized one the Single and the race one the Double, haha!!

Last edited by Odinist; 02-19-2019 at 05:16 PM..
(#138)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM

lol that's bad... I was thinking maybe "stock calibration housing", "high flow housing"?

Burger Motorsports

(#139)
Old

Default 02-19-2019, 05:49 PM

There's a reason I'm in IT and not marketing haha.

(#140)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM

JB4_HONDA_4:

1) Enabled FutureUseD adjustment options outlined above.
2) Adjusted interface boost scaling, after updating firmware disconnect and reconnect to reset interface scaling.
3) Added in over boost and run lean safety systems. If boost exceeds the user defined "boost safety" setting for more than 1 second the JB4 will revert to map0. Similarly if AFR goes leaner than 14:1 at full throttle for more than one second the JB4 will revert to map0. These safety system can be disabled in the FutureUseD bit5 if needed for diagnostic purposes.
4) Relocated "knock control" under IGN-2 and adjusted "TimingAVG" to reflect a new 0-10 metric for knock control. It's scaled such that 0 = 0.50 10 = 1.20 which I think is more intuitive. We'll keep an eye on it and users can continue to reference whichever scaling they prefer.
5) Various minor logging parameter fixes.
6) Adjusted pedal to boost mapping to be more conservative/smoother. The previous more aggressive mapping can be enabled under FUD.7.
7) Enabled hot/cold protection. Boost will remain at stock levels until water temp is > 170 degrees and if water temp goes above 250 degrees boost will decay down to stock levels. Can be disabled under the FUD.2 bit.

Burger Motorsports

(#141)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
JB4_HONDA_4:

3) Added in over boost and run lean safety systems. If boost exceeds the user defined "boost safety" setting for more than 1 second the JB4 will revert to map0. Similarly if AFR goes leaner than 14:1 at full throttle for more than one second the JB4 will revert to map0. These safety system can be disabled in the FutureUseD bit5 if needed for diagnostic purposes.

If a boost safety target is set under user settings, does that only apply in Map 6, or does that affect every map?

(#142)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Boost safety is global for all maps, I setup the min setting at 22psi for now.

Burger Motorsports

(#143)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Boost safety is global for all maps, I setup the min setting at 22psi for now.
Okay cool, so anything in the User Setting/Map 6 will ONLY affect things if I'm loaded on Map 6? Sounds good.

However, seeing this 28.4 there is kinda freakin' me out, haha.

Quote:
4) Relocated "knock control" under IGN-2 and adjusted "TimingAVG" to reflect a new 0-10 metric for knock control. It's scaled such that 0 = 0.50 10 = 1.20 which I think is more intuitive. We'll keep an eye on it and users can continue to reference whichever scaling they prefer.
I noticed that my IGN-2 gauge is reading a 4.9. I don't see an option for a "TimingAVG" gauge?

Last edited by Odinist; 02-20-2019 at 11:22 AM..
(#144)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 12:04 PM

The only user adjustment settings that are specific to map6 is the map6 boost profile column. Everything else is global for all maps.

4.9 = .49. TimingAVG is whatever you were looking at before for the knock control.

Burger Motorsports

(#145)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The only user adjustment settings that are specific to map6 is the map6 boost profile column. Everything else is global for all maps.
Oh dang, so that does that mean my boost safety is indeed set to 28.4?? I didn't adjust that setting at all, this was a fresh flash of the version 4 firmware.

(#146)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 12:14 PM

Yes so just lower it to 22psi. Previously, there was no extra boost safety system. So 28psi is quite a bit lower than it was.

Burger Motorsports

(#147)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So 28psi is quite a bit lower than it was.

Hell yes.

Changed the setting. Will get Map 7 logs on Firmware 4 on my drive home in a couple of hours.

(#148)
Old

Car: Honda civic 1.5 turbo
Default 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Hi Terry and BMS team.

I am about to pull trigger on JB4 for my civic. So excited to see all these developments. We are RHD in Australia - ODBII port is located on the R side of car but the engine orientation is the same as US. Is the default ODB2 cable long enough? I have noticed autoinstruct.com.au here in Australia is reselling Jb4 - are they legit? If longer ODB2 cable is needed - can they supply it too?
(#149)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetie123
Hi Terry and BMS team.

I am about to pull trigger on JB4 for my civic. So excited to see all these developments. We are RHD in Australia - ODBII port is located on the R side of car but the engine orientation is the same as US. Is the default ODB2 cable long enough? I have noticed autoinstruct.com.au here in Australia is reselling Jb4 - are they legit? If longer ODB2 cable is needed - can they supply it too?
Any authorized BMS vendor can provide you with the tuner! Although most dealers are not stocking this one yet so they'd likely have to order it for you. For AU we always provide a "RHD" OBDII cable which is around 2' longer with all JB4 tuners so you have that extra flexibility for mounting.

Burger Motorsports

(#150)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Running beautifully on Map 7 with Firmware 4, if I don't say so myself.

Just ran to a dispensary which is close but has a nice stretch of open Route 66 on the way, so was hoping to get some good logs. Heading back home, some dude in a Kia SUV for whatever reason decided he wanted to play.

That poor bastard, haha. I didn't even realize we were racing at first, but he quickly learned.

However... I notice in my logs that the boost safety is still 28.4. I know I changed this. But, when I did I wasn't connected to the JB4. Do these settings only properly save/change when actively connected?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-02-20 17_03_15_Map-7.csv (19.2 KB, 31 views)