N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default Log Checks + Ongoing Boost Issues - 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Was poking around and noticed some oil gunk behind the lower charge pipe. I cleaned it and checked everything, didn't feel or see any cracks, tears, or anything obvious. There is a silicon coupler from the VRSF intercooler, the rest is the stock. The screw to the clamp between the LCP and the factory elbow was a bit loose, but I didn't notice any play. There is nowhere else it could have come from but that area. Everything around the DV's and recirc was clean. No smoke. Could I have had a minor leak here all this time?

I did take some short logs, and I hit target but a bit late, and seems like WGDC and FF are high (148-150). Seems like it has been that way a while. I found some older logs from before the FMIC was installed (over 3 years ago) and FF was a lot lower before, and higher after. Hmm.

Thinking of getting new hoses plus the VRSF lower and upper CPs to eliminate that as a possible problem.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180421_1854.csv (169.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: csv 180421_1855.csv (29.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Vorsprung_CJB; 05-01-2018 at 07:50 AM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM

With the high FF and lagging boost, I suspect a boost leak. Did you try doing a pressure test?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-22-2018, 03:23 PM

I don't really have the gear to do a proper pressure/smoke test.

I may just pick up the VRSF CP + LCP kit since it isn't too expensive. Good excuse to ditch the plastic ones, and I can get some new silicone elbows for the FMIC.

Might put in these new boost solenoids I've had sitting around and maybe a PCV while I'm at it.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-22-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
I don't really have the gear to do a proper pressure/smoke test.

I may just pick up the VRSF CP + LCP kit since it isn't too expensive. Good excuse to ditch the plastic ones, and I can get some new silicone elbows for the FMIC.

Might put in these new boost solenoids I've had sitting around and maybe a PCV while I'm at it.
Not bad ideas on all fronts.

Iím shocked your stock CP has lasted this long.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM

65k tuned out of 95k total, but I don't beat on it much. I don't even think its the actual charge pipe is the problem though, the issue is somewhere between the end of the CP and the cold side of the intercooler. At least that is where the oil "spray" is. The lower pipe has rarely if ever been an issue for people, but I wonder if mine cracked very slightly when I accidentally broke off that clip that attaches to the rad fan... The silicone coupler on IC outlet side was also a little sketchy from the beginning, so I'll replace that too.
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-29-2018, 12:50 PM

So just to follow up. I did the CP and LCP, also the PCV valve. I only re-did the vacuum in the DV area. All seemed to go fine. It looked like the leak may have been in the rubber accordion elbow, in one of the grooves where it has metal ring. Hard to tell.

End result, a WORSE boost leak than before! FML! I think it might be leaking from the CP-TB connection. Time to recheck everything.

(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
So just to follow up. I did the CP and LCP, also the PCV valve. I only re-did the vacuum in the DV area. All seemed to go fine. It looked like the leak may have been in the rubber accordion elbow, in one of the grooves where it has metal ring. Hard to tell.

End result, a WORSE boost leak than before! FML! I think it might be leaking from the CP-TB connection. Time to recheck everything.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#8)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-29-2018, 04:17 PM

Everything on the charge side seemed squeaky clean, even around the TB, so not sure if it could be something else. Maybe a bad DV? Wasn't an issue before. I also wanted to do the WG solenoid test but I couldn't get any of the vac tubes to even budge to get a T in there. I didn't mess with any of that earlier though.

It honestly didn't seem too bad on Map 4 for the initial test but was way worse on Map 1.

Anyway, here are the logs from earlier, for posterity's sake.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180429_1456.csv (55.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv 180429_1501.csv (75.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: csv 180429_1505.csv (121.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: csv 180429_1509.csv (153.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: csv 180429_1512.csv (115.5 KB, 51 views)
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2018, 09:57 PM

It’s not uncommon for stock boost levels NOT to reveal issues, then when you elevate / get a bit more aggressive the leak tends to rear its ugly head.

Do you have a means to test for a boost leak, not just visual?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#10)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-30-2018, 09:39 AM

I was able to do the solenoid test and it was a solid -25, so not an issue on that side.

Attacked from the bottom and looks like the FMIC exit side silicone coupler may have an issue after all. Going to replace and re-test. I ordered a replacement but didn't do it because it looked like the elbow was the causes, but I may have been wrong (or it was both).

If there was an issue with my PCV replacement it wouldn't cause a big boost leak like this, right? I checked it externally and it seemed OK.
(#11)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Replaced the lower elbow I thought was an issue and re-check and re-tightened everything I installed. Took some logs and same issue. No physical signs of a leak anywhere on the charge side. At this point I don't know what else to check. Can the TB leak from the side attached to the intake manifold? I had to manhandle the CP to get it on there.

I don't have a smoke or pressure machine to test for leaks unfortunately.

Logs attached.

Attached Files
File Type: csv 180430_1613.csv (256.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: csv 180430_1607.csv (122.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: csv 180430_1603.csv (47.4 KB, 50 views)
(#12)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 05-01-2018, 07:57 AM

Getting a smoke test on Friday to answer that question for good. They will also check the WG's if possible, maybe they need adjustment or one is stuck or something. Hopefully not a major turbo issue as there are no other symptoms, but my mileage IS in the danger zone.

On a less likely cause... could a clogged down or mid ***** cause an issue like this? Both are stock and original on my car. I did have a leaky injector for a while, but replaced them all last year.

Looking at the logs again, I also thought it was strange how on Map 4 it jumps right up to 8 PSI without even using 100% WGDC, but on Map 1 it is slow at 100% DC to reach the same 8 PSI, then follows the same slow curve eventually to 15. Not sure what would be different, Map 4 should just be normal operation with stock boost target right? Or is something logically different on that map?
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM

What FUD bits do you have set?

FF maxed out is an indication of an issue as well. Could be a setting as well. Set FUD to 0, FF back to 100 and try a log.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#14)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM

FUD has water temp warm-up and alternate anti-rattle algorithm bits set. I know the anti-rattle can add a little lag in some situations because it opens the WGs, but I don't think it would explain these long, linear lags. The lag reminds me of long ago when I used to play with DWP=0 to make the car loud.

My FF has hovered around 145-150 for years... but I'll try having it re-learn per your advice, with FUD turned off. I may try different DWP settings as well, maybe try 100 as an experiment.
(#15)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Tried it and logged on the way home. No difference. FF was moving up rapidly and boost was low as it got near target. Rattled like hell without the anti-rattle bit set, I forgot how bad it was.

Starting to get that sinking feeling I'm going to need new turbos.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180501_1617.csv (8.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: csv 180501_1621.csv (7.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv 180501_1631.csv (13.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: csv 180501_1638.csv (39.8 KB, 44 views)
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Unhappy 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Tried it and logged on the way home. No difference. FF was moving up rapidly and boost was low as it got near target. Rattled like hell without the anti-rattle bit set, I forgot how bad it was.

Starting to get that sinking feeling I'm going to need new turbos.
FF creeps up each log.

Logs are a bit short, but WGDC is maxed as well : /

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062