N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Car: N20 / N54 / N55 / N63 / S55 / S63
Exclamation Walnut blast is a MUST on your N54!! (w/ pics!) - 01-06-2016, 01:40 AM

So last week we started our Intake Valve Walnut Blast Special and got lots of interest. For this reason we have made our walnut blast service an everyday special of Only $295 over at SSR Performance in Orange County, CA. We've gotten an insane amount of interest! Customers are coming in from North LA, Corona, Riverside, and even San Diego. It's very obvious why people are so anxious (if you're not, you probably should be) to get this done on their N54 motors when you take a little peek inside...

Here is a photo of the intake valves on a 32k mile 2008 335i (JB4 tune) we did 4 days ago. Before the cleaning the customer was noticing slow throttle response on WOT and a bumpy idle (if you're tuned, it is even MORE vital you get this done). It doesn't take a genius to see why after taking a look inside...

Since the N54 is a direct injection motor, the intake valves are only in contact with air and blowby gases from the crankcase breathing circuit, in which substantial quantities of fuel and oil can be found. This is opposed to non-direct injection motors in which fuel passes over the valves and acts as a cleaning agent so that the build of of carbon deposits does not occur. After several thousand miles of driving (approx. every 30k is when this service is recommended) deposits of carbonised fuel and oil in the intake tract can become fused on, as well as on the intake valves themselves. This process is often referred to as "carbonising", as you see in the photo above.

After some TLC (plus some sweat and elbow grease) from our team, these intake valves were looking like new...

Every customer is left with a HUGE smile on their face when they see the before and after of their intake valves. It takes about 2.5 hours per vehicle. This specific customer was very happy with the whole process. He messaged us the next day and couldn't stop raving about how much better his car feels at idle, as well as the very noticeable increase in throttle response. :burnrubbe

So if you have an N54 BMW with over 30k miles and have never had this done before today, hopefully this thread will show you the importance of why it is so vital that your direct injection motor get this service done as soon as possible. Sadly, there is no other way around it. If you have any questions about the process feel free to PM, email, or call us today!

Get your Walnut Blast done for only $295 Any day! Setup an appointment today, contact us anytime and we will make sure we work with you to setup an appropriate time and get your intake valves looking like new again!

Located in the heart of Orange County just a minute away from Crevier BMW!
Email: info@SSR-Performance.com
Call: (800) 438-2808

Engineers by day, car enthusiasts by night... making a living doing what we love!

Last edited by SSR Performance; 09-06-2016 at 10:44 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 01-06-2016, 04:12 AM

Good price, wrong forum.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default 01-06-2016, 06:01 AM

I need to do mine. I actually don't have a blaster and was trying to decide whether or not i would buy one or see if any of my buddies local to me has one i can borrow so i can get mine done.

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#4)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 01-06-2016, 10:32 AM

That is a very reasonable price for the work involved. I just did mine myself and it wasn't too bad of a job but for $250 that's a bargain.
(#5)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTuning
I need to do mine. I actually don't have a blaster and was trying to decide whether or not i would buy one or see if any of my buddies local to me has one i can borrow so i can get mine done.
Hey! Well if you're local, bring it on by!

Engineers by day, car enthusiasts by night... making a living doing what we love!
(#6)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland01
That is a very reasonable price for the work involved. I just did mine myself and it wasn't too bad of a job but for $250 that's a bargain.
Yup definitely. It's not rocket science, but it does take time and effort. That's why we're here!

(#7)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-06-2016, 11:43 AM

When I do this for people I use a dental pick to clean out all the extra gunk that you don't normally see looking straight in. You can see some poking out in your closeup photo.
(#8)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 01-06-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommodore
When I do this for people I use a dental pick to clean out all the extra gunk that you don't normally see looking straight in. You can see some poking out in your closeup photo.
I spent a lot of time with carb cleaner and going back at it until it was gone. I used a scope to to make sure i got it from all corners. I'd use carb cleaner and let it sit in a puddle, dry it out by placing a papertowel over opening and blowing air in, then hitting it with walnuts again. I reused over and over. Took forever to get everything perfectly clean but I suspect it won't take as long on refreshes. This summer i'll be replacing valve seals and i'll put it through again. So maybe 6,000-8,000 miles before doing it again.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default 01-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance
Hey! Well if you're local, bring it on by!
unfortunately, im located in NY, haha

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#10)
Old

Car: 07 335i 6mt
Default 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Err ma gerd im in MD... I would bring it today for $250
(#11)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-06-2016, 07:54 PM

Make sure to add a new gasket. Around $35 I think.
$250 is a STEAL!

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#12)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-06-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Make sure to add a new gasket. Around $35 I think.
$250 is a STEAL!
Definitely! Just to be clear guys, I forgot to mention, we DO replace all of the intake manifold gaskets for the $250 price. If replacement of the throttle body gasket is necessary, we add on the $10 cost and replace it for a grand total of $260. Hardly ever is it necessary to replace the throttle body gasket.

(#13)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi wagon
Default 01-07-2016, 12:16 AM

Where is your shop located?
(#14)
Old
Guy with the pet snails

Car: 135i vert
Default 01-07-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbboy
Its in their signature. Huntington Beach, CA.

Hey SSR, are you in that industrial park near the RMR shop?

Motorsport Photographer, PM for Pricing on Car Shoots - mattkalish.com

(#15)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenvert
Its in their signature. Huntington Beach, CA.

Hey SSR, are you in that industrial park near the RMR shop?
Hey @SDbboy, we are located in Huntington Beach, CA as brokenvert pointed out above. Let me know if you want to schedule an appointment. You can call us or email us for shop directions and available times.

Hey @brokenvert, no we aren't in that exact industrial park. However, if I'm not mistaken we are only a couple blocks (2 min) down the road

(#16)
Old

Car: 08 335i MT
Default 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Recently purchased my car.
Have been really interested in getting this done.
The car has 62k on it, but I do not know if the previous owner did the blasting before or not. Is it possible to look inside the engine to check before committing to the service?

Thank you

08 335i MT, JB4, MHD, ***, ER Comp. FMIC, ER Charge Pipe, Forge DVs. Custom Alcantara/ Napa Steering Wheel. RB inlets (when I get time)
-Save the Manuals-
(#17)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTwigg
Recently purchased my car.
Have been really interested in getting this done.
The car has 62k on it, but I do not know if the previous owner did the blasting before or not. Is it possible to look inside the engine to check before committing to the service?

Thank you
The answer is yes, it is possible. However, whether you should go through it or not is a totally different question. Essentially the amount of work that would have to go into just being able to look at the intake valves directly and then putting everything back together is about 80% of the total work it takes to get the Walnut Blast done. If you take it to any shop, they will charge you to do this. So unless you're doing it yourself, I wouldn't suggest it.

My suggestion to you would be to take a chance and just get the service done. Chances are that the previous owner did not get this service done, and even if he / she did, there is a high possibility of it being back to where it was. The risk you take by not doing it is a lot bigger than the small price you pay to have it done.

To put it into perspective, here are some photos of a 74k mile 135i we did day before yesterday...

As you can see, these look vastly different (A LOT worse) than the photos from our original post. This is what they end up looking like in the higher mileage N54's.

Hope this helps @BigTwigg!

(#18)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Pm sent
(#19)
Old

Car: 08 335i MT
Default 01-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Thank you very much for the response.

I will be calling sometime next week to schedule an appointment.

08 335i MT, JB4, MHD, ***, ER Comp. FMIC, ER Charge Pipe, Forge DVs. Custom Alcantara/ Napa Steering Wheel. RB inlets (when I get time)
-Save the Manuals-
(#20)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTwigg
Thank you very much for the response.

I will be calling sometime next week to schedule an appointment.
No problem, thank you for reaching out. Glad I could help. Sounds great! Can't wait @BigTwigg

(#21)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM

$250 is a steal. I'm am an avid DIY person but would pay $250 for this job. Too bad you are very far from me.
(#22)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
$250 is a steal. I'm am an avid DIY person but would pay $250 for this job. Too bad you are very far from me.
We try our best to hook everyone up with the best possible deals around no "BMW tax" here...

(#23)
Old
Helping SoCal Members!

Default 01-15-2016, 01:10 PM

bump!

(#24)
Old

Car: 2011 E92 335is
Default 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM

So would you recommend every 30K miles or is that overkill?
(#25)
Old

Car: M635
Default 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Is there something that can be done to prevent, or at least minimize, this situation, like adding an oil catch can to the system? I realize you'd still need to clean the valves once, but if you didn't have to keep doing it over and over again, that would be nice.

Eric