N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#151)
Old

Car: 2018 Civic Si
Default 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM

(I'm not too worried about that, though, because I had thought I'd set the safety to 24.5, and even with it set at 28.4, the highest I hit was 24.1.)

Mishimoto intake, resonator delete, Vibrant 1040 muffler, JB4 tuner, Firehawk Indy 500 rubber, Lamin-X fog light covers, Xentec 35w 6000k HIDs, custom d20 shift knob, 20% tint, red "H" badges.
(#152)
Old

Car: Honda civic 1.5 turbo
Default 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Looks like there is quite a few maps already - Is it correct to say that the trend of the map is Map1 is least aggressive tune and the higher number, the more aggressive tune?
(#153)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetie123
Looks like there is quite a few maps already - Is it correct to say that the trend of the map is Map1 is least aggressive tune and the higher number, the more aggressive tune?
Yessir.

0 = stock
1-3 = a bit over stock, make sure and use good fuel.
4-5 = blend your gas with E85 and know what you're doing.
6 = Custom map; disregard for now.
7 = Full send, haha. Probably best to just forget this one is there for now.
8 = Valet map. (Kills boost, kinda like driving my wife's non-turbo 1.5L Honda Fit)

Mishimoto intake, resonator delete, Vibrant 1040 muffler, JB4 tuner, Firehawk Indy 500 rubber, Lamin-X fog light covers, Xentec 35w 6000k HIDs, custom d20 shift knob, 20% tint, red "H" badges.
(#154)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinist
Running beautifully on Map 7 with Firmware 4, if I don't say so myself.

Just ran to a dispensary which is close but has a nice stretch of open Route 66 on the way, so was hoping to get some good logs. Heading back home, some dude in a Kia SUV for whatever reason decided he wanted to play.

That poor bastard, haha. I didn't even realize we were racing at first, but he quickly learned.

However... I notice in my logs that the boost safety is still 28.4. I know I changed this. But, when I did I wasn't connected to the JB4. Do these settings only properly save/change when actively connected?
I'd probably kick the map down for now until we can evaluate the higher boost levels. But, the log indicates everything is fine here. Boost, timing, and AFR all in check.

Due to the interface change over you may have to hit save a couple times to get it to save the updated boost safety trigger the first go around.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#155)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM

You do need to be connected to the JB4 in the app to save any settings.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#156)
Old

Default 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I'd probably kick the map down for now until we can evaluate the higher boost levels. But, the log indicates everything is fine here. Boost, timing, and AFR all in check.

Due to the interface change over you may have to hit save a couple times to get it to save the updated boost safety trigger the first go around.
I've been on it since Saturday running great, but if you think I should back it off for now I will for sure. Think 5's good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando @ BMS
You do need to be connected to the JB4 in the app to save any settings.
Ah, nice. I'll fiddle with it in the morning.

(#157)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2019, 07:05 PM

5 seems like a better bet short term, to keep boost around 22psi or less.

Burger Motorsports

(#158)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Quick Map 5 pull this morning. Boost safety set at 22. E30ish blend.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 06_16_47_Map-5.csv (11.9 KB, 13 views)

(#159)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quick Map 5 pull this morning. Boost safety set at 22. E30ish blend.
It's interesting that your KC almost never moves.. I get a lot of movement on our CVT even with ~E30. We'll have to look at more manual trans vs. CVT logs to evaluate.

Burger Motorsports

(#160)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 10:03 AM

This is just pure speculation, but I wonder if perhaps the non-Si cars have a higher sensitivity to knock? The Si has forged rods and some other parts that are a bit beefier, so maybe they make the knock sensor less rigid since the engine itself is more stout?

Could the temperature difference also have anything to do with it? If I'm running cooler, wouldn't I be slightly less susceptible to knock?

(#161)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Both could be factors. We need more customer logs from different climates and fuels to compare with.

Burger Motorsports

(#162)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM

It should be warmer and Sunny this weekend on Sunday... I'll be sure and get logs with the warmer temps and see if that makes a difference.

(#163)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 10:34 AM

Oh, and actually speaking of temps... since Ando's car is using a SRI and I'm running a proper CAI, our intake temps are probably way different, and I know high temps will cause these motors to pull timing to avoid issues.

I'd wager temps are a big difference.

(#164)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2019, 11:16 AM

You can see them in the logs, they are not much different really.

Burger Motorsports

(#165)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Did some pulls in 7 for **** and giggles in the new firmware, and it kicked me to Map 0.

Dropped it down to 5, same thing.

Went to 4 and I'm good.

I think the MAP temps (Trans Temp in the app) aren't right. The IAT I think are pretty on, but the MAP ones I've seen in the last few days either below ambient (which shouldn't be possible) or WAY above (and when I say "way" mean way; before I left for these pulls it was saying my MAF intake temp was like 90-something degrees and it is like 57 degrees outside... I popped my hood and felt the MAF sensor and the intake tubing and there was no way it was 90+).

Could incorrect temps trigger the safety map?

Give 'em a look over and let me know what's up.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_01_01_Map-7.csv (16.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_01_42_Map-0.csv (13.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_02_46_Map-5.csv (14.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_03_27_Map-5.csv (17.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_04_28_Map-4.csv (13.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: csv 2019-02-21 18_06_34_Map-4.csv (12.3 KB, 14 views)

(#166)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Give 'em a look over and let me know what's up.
Yes if you set the boost safety to 22psi then it's going to exceed that on most of the higher maps.

Logs overall look OK to me.

On MAF temp seems reasonable in the logs. The sensor itself will heat soak sometimes internally. What intake is on the car again?

Burger Motorsports

(#167)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Was able to hit the dyno today with a 2018 Honda Civic TypeR for a little JB4 tuning. Test car is 100% stock with around 12k miles on it. Running 91 octane pump gas.

After a lot of tuning the best results were found running around 4psi over stock down low and around 3psi over stock up top. Gains on map1 were around 30whp and 50wtq.

We played around with higher boost levels and while power went up a bit the data showed the engine wasn't as happy. Next time we'll try with some better fans and maybe an intake on it to see if we can push power up. But overall happy with the gains. Car feels like a rocket compared to our Civic Sport CVT.

We've split apart the JB4 firmware for the typeR and I'll be posting that separately in the first post shortly along with a typeR specific map guide.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#168)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 02-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Car feels like another animal with the JB4 installed. WOW, and to think this is only map 1.

Burger Motorsports

(#169)
Old

Default 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yes if you set the boost safety to 22psi then it's going to exceed that on most of the higher maps.

Logs overall look OK to me.

On MAF temp seems reasonable in the logs. The sensor itself will heat soak sometimes internally. What intake is on the car again?
I'm an idiot, it even says that in the firmware notes, haha derp.

Intake is a modified Mishimoto. It has the silicon tube from the turbo inlet pipe to the MAF housing, then instead of the filter surrounded by a heat shield, I ran a tube covered in heat tape down and placed the filter behind the fake grill/foglight (where PRL and Injen place theirs). And, on the fake grill, I've cut out part of the honeycomb to mimic the open holes on the passenger side, so it's getting direct air straight from the front of the car. Perhaps I need to wrap the MAF housing itself with some gold tape to further help intake temps.

Last edited by Odinist; 02-22-2019 at 06:30 AM..
(#170)
Old

Car: Honda C-RV
Default 02-22-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
This is just pure speculation, but I wonder if perhaps the non-Si cars have a higher sensitivity to knock? The Si has forged rods and some other parts that are a bit beefier, so maybe they make the knock sensor less rigid since the engine itself is more stout?

Could the temperature difference also have anything to do with it? If I'm running cooler, wouldn't I be slightly less susceptible to knock?
Don't forget the Si and crv both also run less compression to allow for more boost vs the regular civic turbo. This will make it slightly less susceptible to knock once fueled right.
(#171)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurus
Don't forget the Si and crv both also run less compression to allow for more boost vs the regular civic turbo. This will make it slightly less susceptible to knock once fueled right.
That would make a huge differences, yes. Let's get more Si and non-Si logs posted on various fuels and climates so we can draw firmer conclusions.

Burger Motorsports

(#172)
Old

Car: Honda C-RV
Default 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
That would make a huge differences, yes. Let's get more Si and non-Si logs posted on various fuels and climates so we can draw firmer conclusions.
As soon as I get the rhd cable I'll start making logs, hot climate 95 ron fuel.

This is from the posted engine specs honda japan.

the standard civic is 10.6:1 compression ratio, 16.5 max boost

Civic si compression 10.3:1 ratio, 20.5 max boost

Crv compression 10.3:1 ratio, 18.5 max boost ( same engine mostly as the Si but tuned differently ).

Last edited by Accurus; 02-22-2019 at 09:30 AM..
(#173)
Old

Default 02-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurus
As soon as I get the rhd cable I'll start making logs, hot climate 95 ron fuel.

This is from the posted engine specs honda japan.

the standard civic is 10.6:1 compression ratio, 16.5 max boost

Civic si compression 10.3:1 ratio, 20.5 max boost

Crv compression 10.3:1 ratio, 18.5 max boost ( same engine mostly as the Si but tuned differently ).
Oh wow, I knew the non-Si motor made less boost, but I didn't realize it was that big of a difference; I figured they made at least 18.

This absolutely plays into why I've been able to run Map 7 and hit ~24 PSI without my knock going insane.

(#174)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Difference between static compression isn't much.
CR-V/Si turbos do have a higher flowing turbine. The better flowing turbine and being tuned for premium is what gives the Si the advantage.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#175)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Oh wow, I knew the non-Si motor made less boost, but I didn't realize it was that big of a difference; I figured they made at least 18.

This absolutely plays into why I've been able to run Map 7 and hit ~24 PSI without my knock going insane.
We have a local Si we'll be dyno testing in a week or two, to better evaluate the differences.

Burger Motorsports