N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: VW Alltrack
Default JB4 Made Too Much Power - 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM

I've been messing with the JB4 for about a month now, slowly turning up the boost on my IS20 6MT Alltrack. Well, the stock clutch finally started to slip in 3rd gear at 4k RPM and 24 lbs of boost. It was fun, but I'm not ready to pay for a new clutch right at this moment I'm working on a lower boost map which will hold me over until I get a new clutch in then turn up the boost again.

There aren't that many solutions that will allow you to easily do this on your own for the price of a JB4. The JB4 logging is such a great learning tool also.
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 12-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Happy you enjoying it.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 12-18-2018, 06:13 PM

If you are able to do different boost curve you can potentially lower peak boost and try to flatten the curve so that you don't spin your clutch. Basically lower boost a little at peak torque range, and ramp it up slowly without pushing torque numbers too high. I've never tried it on my JB4, but I seem to have a lack on power, always..haha

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#4)
Old

Default 12-19-2018, 06:45 AM

I created a map that more closely follows the ECU boost down below 4500, but picks up after that. I haven't tested it yet, but the fact that it can be done so easily is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
If you are able to do different boost curve you can potentially lower peak boost and try to flatten the curve so that you don't spin your clutch. Basically lower boost a little at peak torque range, and ramp it up slowly without pushing torque numbers too high. I've never tried it on my JB4, but I seem to have a lack on power, always..haha
(#5)
Old

Default 12-19-2018, 06:56 AM

Thanks for answering all my questions and helping me get started. Also, no other tuning product has the support the JB4 does. You guys have also rolled out 3 or 4 firmware updates in the the two months I've owned the JB4. The phone app has been updated twice also. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Happy you enjoying it.
(#6)
Old

Default 12-24-2018, 08:39 PM

My clutch started slipping at 4k RPM at ecu request boost levels. The newest firmware which allows lower than ECU boost works great! I was able to create a boost map which requested lower than ECU boost 4500 rpm and down, but still had some top end punch. If I only had a flash, I wouldn't have such control.
(#7)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 12-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuMBLe
My clutch started slipping at 4k RPM at ecu request boost levels. The newest firmware which allows lower than ECU boost works great! I was able to create a boost map which requested lower than ECU boost 4500 rpm and down, but still had some top end punch. If I only had a flash, I wouldn't have such control.
Happy you got it dialed in.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo