Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCRAMON
How could i order these upgrade?
Send email to rob.rbturbo@gmail.com

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#127)
Old
Stalker

Default 11-20-2015, 01:52 AM

Less than 2 months later 50 sets of these are almost gone. There were some outright sales but most of which went out complimentary with new turbo purchases (now the standard). Another 50 sets coming in this weekend from machining.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#128)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Less than 2 months later 50 sets of these are almost gone. There were some outright sales but most of which went out complimentary with new turbo purchases (now the standard). Another 50 sets coming in this weekend from machining.
Another 50+ sets have been received, welded, anodized, and ready to ship. Just an FYI to anyone who maybe wanting a set.

Thanks,
Rob

(#129)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-09-2015, 10:40 AM

In light of this offering we have now finalized the Oil/Coolant block interface adapters for ST applications. $199 plus shipping for all adapters. All come with respective O-rings and can be capped as needed.

See picture for descriptions:
1) Top left- -6AN Rear Coolant to block adapter (long style)
2) Top middle- -6AN Coolant to block adapters (standard style)
3) Top right- -6AN Front Coolant to block adapter (standard style)
4) Bottom left- Bung Rear Oil Drain to block adapter (later production, demand pending, will be a plug style)
5) Bottom middle- -4AN Oil Feed to block adapter
6) Bottom right- Bung Front Oil Drain to block adapter
Attached Images

(#130)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-20-2016, 03:20 PM

Hi Rob,

Getting these fitted now, along with newer turbos, however the front new rb oil drain pipe doesn't seem to clear evenly and tends to have a very severe bend in (if pushed to fit correctly) which would possibly have an negative effect...

quick pic of old pipe in situ with waterpump hose too (rhd car).

Are there any tips for installing?

thanks
Tin
(#131)
Old
Stalker

Default 01-20-2016, 03:29 PM

Have sent about 70 sets out as of now, have not heard of issue. Maybe send and email over or post a picture of what you mean here if that's your preference.

Thanks,
Rob

(#132)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 01-21-2016, 11:43 AM

Ive installed two and they do have a bend to them, it seems like the hose is a little bit too long. So trimming it would help with the bends. I've installed one on a pure stage 2 and another for an OEM turbo swap and so far no issues.
(#133)
Old
Stalker

Default 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu
Ive installed two and they do have a bend to them, it seems like the hose is a little bit too long. So trimming it would help with the bends. I've installed one on a pure stage 2 and another for an OEM turbo swap and so far no issues.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah we did get a call on one of the first sets saying they thought the hose was a bit too short, and adding .5" would've made them feel more comfortable (although what was provided still "worked"). So I arbitrarily began adding .5" to the hose to avoid any future discomforts, although it seems it went the other way lol. I guess to summarize the hose if anything too long, and it should be very close to straight when installed. Cutting the hose to length maybe required if you can't get it to push up the adapter high enough.

(#134)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Are these still available?
(#135)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Running low on current batch, but we've some sets left. We've gone through several batches now and a new batch of 80 sets coming soon.

(#136)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 07-05-2016, 08:39 AM

Hi Rob, just a quick question. As the drains are bigger, oil will flow faster out of the turbo. Does this mean that the feed flow will be increased too? What controls this? Oil pump?

Many thanks

Portuguese 335i E92 MMP Stage 3 Turbos
JB4 Map 6 29psi| Trebila Custom BEF | BMS Meth Kit | MMP Inlet&Outlet Kit | Wagner Evo IC | CP-e Chargepipe | AR Design ** | KN DCI | Forge DV | RB PCV | Walbro 455 | MFactory SMFW | Sachs Racing Clutch Kit | CDV Delete | KW Clubsport Coilovers | Breyton Fascinate Hyper Silver 19'' Wheels |
(#137)
Old
Stalker

Default 07-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuarteCigre
Hi Rob, just a quick question. As the drains are bigger, oil will flow faster out of the turbo. Does this mean that the feed flow will be increased too? What controls this? Oil pump?

Many thanks
You are correct that the turbochargers get their oiling from the engines oil pump and pressure system. They are a direct feed just as the engines main/rod/cam bearings etc. The turbos have restriction orifices built into them (along with tight clearances in the bearing systems) for the pressurized oil to keep the metallic items "afloat" on a thin pressurized layer of oil while in use. As long as this oil layer or barrier is maintained the turbo components will be protected from wear.

This is the exact same premise of the engine components, just the turbos are spinning around 25x more RPM at high loads. Anyway once the oil passes through it simply drains while constantly being replenished by new pressurized source oil, again just like the engine drains back into the pan. The turbo oil drains themselves just help ensure the oil makes it there as quickly and easily as possible (i.e. from a kink or being undersized), as if they do not the oil will puddle in the lines and fill quicker than the cartridge outlet lines can evacuate. This can lead to filling of the cartridge and literally oil being forced out the seals (despite them being fine).

In short it is always best to have a drain that is most up to the challenge to get the oil back into the pan ASAP and way from the turbo CHRA once it passes through to avoid any chance of CHRA oil filling post the pressurization area of the cartridge.

Thanks,
Rob

(#138)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 07-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanks for your quick and very detailed reply Rob. I'll be ordering the drains soon. Do you usually have them in stock?

Regards

Duarte

Portuguese 335i E92 MMP Stage 3 Turbos
JB4 Map 6 29psi| Trebila Custom BEF | BMS Meth Kit | MMP Inlet&Outlet Kit | Wagner Evo IC | CP-e Chargepipe | AR Design ** | KN DCI | Forge DV | RB PCV | Walbro 455 | MFactory SMFW | Sachs Racing Clutch Kit | CDV Delete | KW Clubsport Coilovers | Breyton Fascinate Hyper Silver 19'' Wheels |
(#139)
Old
Stalker

Default 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuarteCigre
Thanks for your quick and very detailed reply Rob. I'll be ordering the drains soon. Do you usually have them in stock?

Regards

Duarte
We have another batch going to anodizing this week, so they are in stock in bare aluminum at this moment. With anodizing completed they'll be a few days out yet, probably shipping Saturday at earliest but more likely Next Monday/Tuesday.

For the custom build (ie. non stock frame) guys we also have these adapters available in almost every configuration imaginable such as -10AN front drains/plugged rear drains/single or dual oil feeds/-6AN coolant adapters/etc.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 07-05-2016 at 11:12 AM..
(#140)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-07-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
You are correct that the turbochargers get their oiling from the engines oil pump and pressure system. They are a direct feed just as the engines main/rod/cam bearings etc. The turbos have restriction orifices built into them (along with tight clearances in the bearing systems) for the pressurized oil to keep the metallic items "afloat" on a thin pressurized layer of oil while in use. As long as this oil layer or barrier is maintained the turbo components will be protected from wear.

This is the exact same premise of the engine components, just the turbos are spinning around 25x more RPM at high loads. Anyway once the oil passes through it simply drains while constantly being replenished by new pressurized source oil, again just like the engine drains back into the pan. The turbo oil drains themselves just help ensure the oil makes it there as quickly and easily as possible (i.e. from a kink or being undersized), as if they do not the oil will puddle in the lines and fill quicker than the cartridge outlet lines can evacuate. This can lead to filling of the cartridge and literally oil being forced out the seals (despite them being fine).

In short it is always best to have a drain that is most up to the challenge to get the oil back into the pan ASAP and way from the turbo CHRA once it passes through to avoid any chance of CHRA oil filling post the pressurization area of the cartridge.

Thanks,
Rob
This is great info. Thanks Rob
(#141)
Old

Car: E82 135i N54
Default 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM

Hi Rob, i plan on installing a set of these drains to a RHD 135i.. ********* will be coming off, is there any way i can install theses without removing the engine mount? Thanks
(#142)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-01-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti
Hi Rob, i plan on installing a set of these drains to a RHD 135i.. ********* will be coming off, is there any way i can install theses without removing the engine mount? Thanks
Motor mount certsinly needs removed to access the rear line.

(#143)
Old
Brendan

Car: 335i 2007 6spdman
Default 12-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Motor mount certsinly needs removed to access the rear line.

You 100% do not need to remove the engine mount.

Done it about 10 times.

You need a long 1/4 extension bar to torque the bolt closet to the block, just use the extension bar and socket to start the bolt the get the ratchet once it's nearly seated and just a 10mm open spanner to tighten the other bolt.
Bottom is accessible and easily fitted.

Just use a different hose clamp the squash ones provided were to difficult to fit.

Should have no problem besides initially making sure the gasket is lined up with the bolt holes.
(#144)
Old
Stalker

Default 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
You 100% do not need to remove the engine mount.

Done it about 10 times.

You need a long 1/4 extension bar to torque the bolt closet to the block, just use the extension bar and socket to start the bolt the get the ratchet once it's nearly seated and just a 10mm open spanner to tighten the other bolt.
Bottom is accessible and easily fitted.

Just use a different hose clamp the squash ones provided were to difficult to fit.

Should have no problem besides initially making sure the gasket is lined up with the bolt holes.
For the upper (turbo side) drain fitting bolts we recommend tightening with the closed side of a 10mm wrench to a tightness similar to torque spec.

For the rear line the engine mount should be much in the way to do an easy installation, but for the front line the mount will certainly not be in the way.

The spring clamps that come with these drains are actually OEM spec style clamps used across many platforms- they work well as is why we supply them.

Some tailoring of the drain hose maybe at times necessary to fit to the installers liking- but they should be close as is.

Rob