N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#126)
Old

Car: BMW G30 520i 2019
Default 11-14-2020, 07:13 PM

Where should I go to download this virtual dyno thing you guys are using. I am getting lazy and tired of calculating on my own =D
(#127)
Old

Default 11-14-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge87
Where should I go to download this virtual dyno thing you guys are using. I am getting lazy and tired of calculating on my own =D
Nevermind I got it

@Vipin any update worth mentioning ?
(#128)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 11-15-2020, 08:37 AM

Heya

Sorry. I didn't check in yesterday when you posted that question and missed it.
Did you set VD up?

And nothing worth mentioning yet. Logs still kinda look the same, I think? It's been raining like crazy and it's cold here (temps ~ 34-40F). Car likes the cold for sure.
I'll try and get some logs and post here to see how it is!!

How is your car doing? Any changes?

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#129)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 11-15-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
There others, but I like this one best.

Virtual Dyno

Enjoy

2020 330iX auto sport w/M track handling, JB4 ; 93 octane; Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#130)
Old

Default 11-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
There others, but I like this one best.

Virtual Dyno

Enjoy
As an aside, I am quite surprised by the B46 engine. I have changed the map 6 additive boost range in effort to reduce boost drops at higher rpms. As a result my boost addition starts around 3.5 and increases to 6 and 7 psi starting around 5000 rpm. I immediately noticed that during that transition, there is a quick and solid kick in the ass as she moves onto 7000 rpm. She was really moving, like I have never seen before and much more like my earlier B58. The only thing I can think of is that the V17 version now turns map 6 from additive to absolute, starting around 6psi.

Then, I had a wot run which was exceptionally fast with VD of 320 whp. Crazy. All data for the run looked good.

2020 330iX auto sport w/M track handling, JB4 ; 93 octane; Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.

Last edited by Turboh; 11-15-2020 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
(#131)
Old

Default 11-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Heya

Sorry. I didn't check in yesterday when you posted that question and missed it.
Did you set VD up?

And nothing worth mentioning yet. Logs still kinda look the same, I think? It's been raining like crazy and it's cold here (temps ~ 34-40F). Car likes the cold for sure.
I'll try and get some logs and post here to see how it is!!

How is your car doing? Any changes?
No changes

I sas just comparing my map 3 to your map0

Vd not greatest because it doesn't keep track of whether it was up or downhill but my *** is still like 15 or 20 whp down vs your stock even though boost curve is near identical

Guess that extra 3or4 degrees of timing and richer AFR really help. Nothing I can do about that until I get bm3.

Funny thing is that the 330ix is actually 100lbs heavier than the 520i

The other funny thing is that I was just browsing new car brochures and I noticed that the m340i is faster than the 911 carrera stock... What a world we live in now
(#132)
Old

Default 11-16-2020, 04:32 AM

Turbo & Vipin

are you guys gonna do the emissions delete ?

IIRC one of you are on a lease so can't
(#133)
Old

Default 11-16-2020, 08:59 AM

No emission change for me. I love the mileage on the car. Boost change is fine by me, but messing with the rest I prefer not to.

I still have not installed the EWG. That is next.

I am still not convinced about the various firmware updates. There are inconsistencies in their description and actual performance. So I will go slowly and test it out. I really want to know why I sometimes get some very impressive acceleration. Things seem inconsistent, performance wise. Still wondering about v18. May wait a bit.

(#134)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
No changes

I sas just comparing my map 3 to your map0

Vd not greatest because it doesn't keep track of whether it was up or downhill but my *** is still like 15 or 20 whp down vs your stock even though boost curve is near identical

Guess that extra 3or4 degrees of timing and richer AFR really help. Nothing I can do about that until I get bm3.

Funny thing is that the 330ix is actually 100lbs heavier than the 520i

The other funny thing is that I was just browsing new car brochures and I noticed that the m340i is faster than the 911 carrera stock... What a world we live in now
I updated firmware on the JB4 to the alpha v19 one. I managed to get one log today. On a different road since the one I usually log on has been closed off for the time being.
Also, it was cold outside (36F). And almost full tank of fuel with slightly lesser E85 than usual since I had to top up from another pump as I was out of fuel and that didn't have E85 (filled E85 from my usual pump on my way back home but it cut off before I could hit the usual E27).

Car still pulls well. Though, after upgrading to V19, I seem to notice some jerks when upshifting while going WOT (like I mentioned a while before, though not as bad). I did not have that issue with V18. I haven't changed the custom map 6 settings. Only firmware update.
I'm also uploading a WOT graph (not LC; going WOT with TC on; road was slightly uphill too!). The app says my WOT times are now in the 4.75-4.95s range (used to be 5.4-5.7s range as per the app before on map 3 without EWG and 5.25-5.45s with custom map 6 without EWG). I kinda believe those times because the car definitely feels much faster. Haven't done any Launch control runs since I don't have a dragy anymore. I'm considering getting one just to try LC out.

Also, can you custom tune on BM3? Or will you be getting a custom map from Cary Jordan if you ever get BM3? Asking since you mentioned timing corrections and AFR changes. I don't think that will ever be possible via JB4?

Also, what are the emission changes you mentioned? And yes. My car is a lease. Which is why I haven't gotten a ******** or custom exhaust. Unless I plan on buying it out.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201117_log3rdEWG.csv (9.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201117_WOT.csv (10.3 KB, 22 views)

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#135)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
No emission change for me. I love the mileage on the car. Boost change is fine by me, but messing with the rest I prefer not to.

I still have not installed the EWG. That is next.

I am still not convinced about the various firmware updates. There are inconsistencies in their description and actual performance. So I will go slowly and test it out. I really want to know why I sometimes get some very impressive acceleration. Things seem inconsistent, performance wise. Still wondering about v18. May wait a bit.
Do you have logs with your custom values now without the EWG installed? I'd love to see how they compare with the EWG installed in your car.

And I agree with you regarding the inconsistency. Let me know which version you find to be the best. I have v15 onwards on my phone. On v19 now. I think v18 felt a bit better/smoother. I've compared the same map on v16, 17 and 18 and found times to be very similar. But there was a difference I could feel but couldn't explain.

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#136)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Do you have logs with your custom values now without the EWG installed? I'd love to see how they compare with the EWG installed in your car.

And I agree with you regarding the inconsistency. Let me know which version you find to be the best. I have v15 onwards on my phone. On v19 now. I think v18 felt a bit better/smoother. I've compared the same map on v16, 17 and 18 and found times to be very similar. But there was a difference I could feel but couldn't explain.
Hi,

I am still on version 17. I notices today that I am gettIng unusually good performance numbers, which puzzles me. I run same gas, same location etc. Biggest external variable is outside temperature.

I looked at past runs and notice a drastic performance change going from V16 to V17. It dropped. Then I saw that in that change over, I was still running the old default setting. When I later changed those default setting, including going to a setting o 20 from 10 for the pid

(#137)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I am still on version 17. I notices today that I am gettIng unusually good performance numbers, which puzzles me. I run same gas, same location etc. Biggest external variable is outside temperature.

I looked at past runs and notice a drastic performance change going from V16 to V17. It dropped. Then I saw that in that change over, I was still running the old default setting. When I later changed those default setting, including going to a setting o 20 from 10 for the pid
Got cut off, will follow up tomorrow.

Alex.

(#138)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I updated firmware on the JB4 to the alpha v19 one. I managed to get one log today. On a different road since the one I usually log on has been closed off for the time being.
Also, it was cold outside (36F). And almost full tank of fuel with slightly lesser E85 than usual since I had to top up from another pump as I was out of fuel and that didn't have E85 (filled E85 from my usual pump on my way back home but it cut off before I could hit the usual E27).

Car still pulls well. Though, after upgrading to V19, I seem to notice some jerks when upshifting while going WOT (like I mentioned a while before, though not as bad). I did not have that issue with V18. I haven't changed the custom map 6 settings. Only firmware update.
I'm also uploading a WOT graph (not LC; going WOT with TC on; road was slightly uphill too!). The app says my WOT times are now in the 4.75-4.95s range (used to be 5.4-5.7s range as per the app before on map 3 without EWG and 5.25-5.45s with custom map 6 without EWG). I kinda believe those times because the car definitely feels much faster. Haven't done any Launch control runs since I don't have a dragy anymore. I'm considering getting one just to try LC out.

Also, can you custom tune on BM3? Or will you be getting a custom map from Cary Jordan if you ever get BM3? Asking since you mentioned timing corrections and AFR changes. I don't think that will ever be possible via JB4?

Also, what are the emission changes you mentioned? And yes. My car is a lease. Which is why I haven't gotten a ******** or custom exhaust. Unless I plan on buying it out.
Yes when I get bm3 I will probably tune it myself but I will likely start with an OTS map

I'm not a huge fan of remote custom rubber just because it really is hit and miss and I do have some local people I can rely on if I choose to go down that route

I still haven't decided if WMI is something I want to do down the line yet but if so a custom tune is basically a necessity
(#139)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 11:26 AM

Hi all,

MG Flasher just did a BF for the G20+ B48 engine. Looks good power wise and installation wise. Much better than BM3, but I do not trust their numbers yet.

I still like the JB4. I am now working with V17, Map6, boosting from 3.5 through 8.5 psi. Not sure why, but the performance is very good. Better than any of the 1,2,3 maps and other Map 6 flat boosts. Something is happening in mid to high rpm range that acts like a mini turbo. I am using the standard default settings with gain at 20.

Best I could do using VD was around 275-280 whp uncorrected on all the maps above. Now I am doing 310 to 330 whp uncorrected. When corrected to SAE they range from 318 to 309. The change is stunning and quite real butt wise.

Not sure why this improvement but perhaps it is because I am crossing from additive to absolute territory on this map. All other log data look fine, and no codes.

Next step is to reduce gain a bit, smoothen it out and adjust DB to follow FF. Not sure if I need the EWG for that but I will find out.

As far as the automatic tranny, I am now using manual setting only. I really like it almost as much and sometime better than the normal 6-speed manual.

More WOTs!

Now really liking the G20 330i.

Alex

(#140)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Yes. I've noticed it too. When the temps drop, the car performs really well. When it becomes hot/IATs begin to rise considerably, you can notice the car becoming slow.

Also, what does changing the PID do? Mine is at 20. I wonder if that should be changed?

Quote:
Yes when I get bm3 I will probably tune it myself but I will likely start with an OTS map

I'm not a huge fan of remote custom rubber just because it really is hit and miss and I do have some local people I can rely on if I choose to go down that route

I still haven't decided if WMI is something I want to do down the line yet but if so a custom tune is basically a necessity
I understand. Iirc, you're in Asia right? Lots of really good tuners there. Makes sense to get help from people local/people you know. Though I guess it will be time since your car is under warranty?
Which is the most powerful 3 series you get there? Do you get the M340i?

Quote:
Hi all,

MG Flasher just did a BF for the G20+ B48 engine. Looks good power wise and installation wise. Much better than BM3, but I do not trust their numbers yet.

I still like the JB4. I am now working with V17, Map6, boosting from 3.5 through 8.5 psi. Not sure why, but the performance is very good. Better than any of the 1,2,3 maps and other Map 6 flat boosts. Something is happening in mid to high rpm range that acts like a mini turbo. I am using the standard default settings with gain at 20.

Best I could do using VD was around 275-280 whp uncorrected on all the maps above. Now I am doing 310 to 330 whp uncorrected. When corrected to SAE they range from 318 to 309. The change is stunning and quite real butt wise.

Not sure why this improvement but perhaps it is because I am crossing from additive to absolute territory on this map. All other log data look fine, and no codes.

Next step is to reduce gain a bit, smoothen it out and adjust DB to follow FF. Not sure if I need the EWG for that but I will find out.

As far as the automatic tranny, I am now using manual setting only. I really like it almost as much and sometime better than the normal 6-speed manual.

More WOTs!

Now really liking the G20 330i.

Alex
Yup. The 330i is really nice. I was depressed at first for not getting the M340i. But not any more.
Can you share the values you're using for your custom map 6? I'm running the values kniefedge87 sent in the last post. Also, what is the 0-60 time your JB4 app gives you? Not dragy. Since that should be comparable to what my app shows me.
My WOT (with TC on) times have dropped according to the app. Before the EWG and previous map 6 numbers, the lowest was 5.35 (was in the 5.4-5.75s range). Nowadays, it's always in the 4.75-4.9s range. Best according to the app was 4.475s (not realistic I know, but for comparisons sake, I got that same time according to the app using LC before and dragy said it was 4.7s).

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#141)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 08:15 PM

Yea the m340i is available but it is over 100k usd

Tax is a pain in the ass

Naively no one buys the 30i because it's known its same hardware as the 20i,you don't even see it on sale anymore so it goes straight from 20i to 40i for most lines

Quote:
Yes. I've noticed it too. When the temps drop, the car performs really well. When it becomes hot/IATs begin to rise considerably, you can notice the car becoming slow.

Also, what does changing the PID do? Mine is at 20. I wonder if that should be changed?

I understand. Iirc, you're in Asia right? Lots of really good tuners there. Makes sense to get help from people local/people you know. Though I guess it will be time since your car is under warranty?

Yup. The 330i is really nice. I was depressed at first for not getting the M340i. But not any more.
Can you share the values you're using for your custom map 6? I'm running the values kniefedge87 sent in the last post. Also, what is the 0-60 time your JB4 app gives you? Not dragy. Since that should be comparable to what my app shows me.
My WOT (with TC on) times have dropped according to the app. Before the EWG and previous map 6 numbers, the lowest was 5.35 (was in the 5.4-5.75s range). Nowadays, it's always in the 4.75-4.9s range. Best according to the app was 4.475s (not realistic I know, but for comparisons sake, I got that same time according to the app using LC before and dragy said it was 4.7s).
(#142)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 10:28 PM

Did either of you guys get extended paddle shifters? They're a pain to install but damn they're worth the trouble
(#143)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 10:30 PM

Changing paddle shifter - Album on Imgur
(#144)
Old

Default 11-20-2020, 10:42 PM

Biggest pain is removing the airbag

The paddles themselves are pretty easy
(#145)
Old

Default 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Hi,

I do not do 0-60, only the 2000-7000 WOTs, so I cannot compare. Not sure if you got the VD. If not I can run your WOTs for comparison.

Attached is my log and graphs for the best run. All settings are default except for rpm-boost column 3.5, 3.5,3.5,6.0,6.5,7.0,7.5,7.9,7.9,8.5,8.5,8.5 in order starting at 1500 rpm.

I selected this boost range to get the boost curve flatter, and without dips.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201117_120159.csv (9.3 KB, 14 views)

(#146)
Old

Default 11-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Biggest pain is removing the airbag

The paddles themselves are pretty easy
I broke a clip trying to install a JB+! There's no way I'm even going to try to remove the airbag

Btw I'll attach a couple of logs I made today at the bottom of this message.

It was cold. But car was loaded (3/4th tank fuel, two passengers, a trunk full of grocery shopping (like literally full)). The road was straight (usual road I log on).

Quote:
Hi,

I do not do 0-60, only the 2000-7000 WOTs, so I cannot compare. Not sure if you got the VD. If not I can run your WOTs for comparison.

Attached is my log and graphs for the best run. All settings are default except for rpm-boost column 3.5, 3.5,3.5,6.0,6.5,7.0,7.5,7.9,7.9,8.5,8.5,8.5 in order starting at 1500 rpm.

I selected this boost range to get the boost curve flatter, and without dips.
I'll try your custom numbers and see how my car feels. I don't think I've gone past 7.9psi ever in map 6.

Btw, looks like we both use the same VD. I use smoothing 3 though because in smoothing 1, my numbers seem way too high. Smoothing 3 brings it down to believable numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201121_log3rdEWG1.csv (8.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201121_log4thEWG1.csv (11.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: csv P58_M6_R1_201121_log4thEWG2.csv (12.0 KB, 17 views)

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#147)
Old

Default 11-22-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I broke a clip trying to install a JB+! There's no way I'm even going to try to remove the airbag

Btw I'll attach a couple of logs I made today at the bottom of this message.

It was cold. But car was loaded (3/4th tank fuel, two passengers, a trunk full of grocery shopping (like literally full)). The road was straight (usual road I log on).

I'll try your custom numbers and see how my car feels. I don't think I've gone past 7.9psi ever in map 6.

Btw, looks like we both use the same VD. I use smoothing 3 though because in smoothing 1, my numbers seem way too high. Smoothing 3 brings it down to believable numbers.
you're getting some timing drops on the upper end of all 3 runs which again is a clue that we're nearing the limits, they're not really bad but again, if you consistently get timing drops on a flat road when it's cold out and you're diligent with your fueling (mix e85 + 93aki), then when you're NOT diligent and or when load increases (uphill, more people/cargo, etc.) then we may push beyond the boundary too much.

with your fueling you can probably push the mid range to 21-22psi even but again, we should probably wait till temps come up to see if your stability is still there come spring/summer OR you run a dedicated winter setting vs summer setting

psychologically it may make you more "sad" for the lack of a better word since you'll get soooo much more performance in the winter then hate your car in the summer ...

in addition, do you "like" an engine with a steeply dropping torque curve from the mid range to top end ? or something that's far more flat ? By not bumping the mid we're technically giving up performance but the character could better match what we wish for (Ferrari does the same thing, limiting boost at low rpm to keep the rev happy nature their engines are associated with).
(#148)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-22-2020, 05:51 PM

Runs look pretty clean to me. If you tune for no timing drops you end up leaving a lot of power on the table!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#149)
Old

Default 11-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Runs look pretty clean to me. If you tune for no timing drops you end up leaving a lot of power on the table!
fair point

how much more you think vipin can push the boost on this setup though ?

@ >21psi the stock B48 turbo loses out on efficiency quite a bit no ? with air temps quite cool now we might be setting ourselves up for trouble come summer time ?
(#150)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-22-2020, 06:38 PM

I'd leave it as tuned currently in the log.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.