N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#226)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-14-2019, 08:54 PM

There is some adaption require when changing maps, a couple runs maybe.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#227)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 09-14-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
There is some adaption require when changing maps, a couple runs maybe.
Thanks. Will just start with map 2 then. There will be some serious cars there, so I doubt I’ll be going that deep. If things look like they’ll allow, Ill map down and go in reverse order.
(#228)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 07:28 AM

First run log from slipstream
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-15 09_54_33_Map-2.csv (13.5 KB, 10 views)
(#229)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM

So far looks good, is this like a 60-130 roll race?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#230)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
So far looks good, is this like a 60-130 roll race?
Thanks for checking. Yes. 65 mph 1/3 mile. Seems I’m topping out around 131-132 in the 1/3 mile. I’ll post up the other logs later.

In case this helps gauge the car for you, I raced a W204 C63 with long tunes and an OE Tuning time and we are dead even within 1 mph. Seem like what you’d expect from my stock car on 93 and map 2.
(#231)
Old

Car: 2017 C63
Default 09-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Here's my short map 2 run with 3.5 gallons of E85 mixed in...dialed in FOL to 40...looks a little leaner but not sure if that's an issue (my first DI car, so not sure how AFRs should be compared to 11.x for port injected)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-14 11_27_12_Map-2.csv (4.3 KB, 11 views)
(#232)
Old

Exclamation NOT GOOD - CEL and limp - 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Terry, I was on a run (still Map 2) and the car threw a blinking CEL and felt like I was on rumble strips, so it shut down at least one cylinder. Could barely go above 20 mph, and the blinking CEL went solid.

I am getting no codes detected with the JB4 mobile app.

Limped the car to a safe area and shut it off. Upon restart it seems to run smoother.

Attached is the log. Looks like boost went above 20 PSI which is pretty surprising. I’m not going to try and guess what else is or isn’t good, or what the hell happened.

Hoping I can get home safely and it’s ok to drive the car.

I’ll try to PM you my phone number and email. Please call if I shouldn’t drive the car on the long ride home. EDIT: looks like I can’t PM you. I’m emailing Jon and Support with my info.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-15 16_15_35_Map-2.csv (7.2 KB, 12 views)
(#233)
Old

Car: MB W205 C250
Default 09-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Terry, I was on a run (still Map 2) and the car threw a blinking CEL and felt like I was on rumble strips, so it shut down at least one cylinder. Could barely go above 20 mph, and the blinking CEL went solid.

I am getting no codes detected with the JB4 mobile app.

Limped the car to a safe area and shut it off. Upon restart it seems to run smoother.

Attached is the log. Looks like boost went above 20 PSI which is pretty surprising. I’m not going to try and guess what else is or isn’t good, or what the hell happened.

Hoping I can get home safely and it’s ok to drive the car.

I’ll try to PM you my phone number and email. Please call if I shouldn’t drive the car on the long ride home. EDIT: looks like I can’t PM you. I’m emailing Jon and Support with my info.

This is exactly how my story started... fingers crossed
(#234)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Just a misfire code likely, not a big deal.

Got back earlier than expected today. Anyway misfire codes are caused by spark blow out in a specific cylinder. In response the DME shuts down fuel to that cylinder until the car is restarted. The higher the boost level the more likely a misfire is, and often at higher power levels closing the spark plug gap is required to ensure consistent ignition. Obviously lowering your power levels will also reduce the likelihood all else being equal.

Log itself seems OK to me, code came up during this run? Looks like whatever code came up caused throttle closure and the spiked boost reading (sampled pre-throttle). You should be able to read codes with the JB4 app so maybe a bug there. Try reading with a normal OBDII reader?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#235)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Just a misfire code likely, not a big deal.

Got back earlier than expected today. Anyway misfire codes are caused by spark blow out in a specific cylinder. In response the DME shuts down fuel to that cylinder until the car is restarted. The higher the boost level the more likely a misfire is, and often at higher power levels closing the spark plug gap is required to ensure consistent ignition. Obviously lowering your power levels will also reduce the likelihood all else being equal.

Log itself seems OK to me, code came up during this run? Looks like whatever code came up caused throttle closure and the spiked boost reading (sampled pre-throttle). You should be able to read codes with the JB4 app so maybe a bug there. Try reading with a normal OBDII reader?

Thanks Terry. Correct, no codes in JB4 mobile app. Using my scanner, there were three pending codes. I thought I heard that JB4 mobile cannot yet detract pending codes? I also don’t understand why they were pending since I drove for hours after the event occurred.

Anyway, misfire on 7 AND 8.

P0300, p0307, p0308

Fundamentally I understand your explanation on a tighter plug gap reducing blowout. I’m more puzzled about why I have never heard of any of the other options even mentioning having to mess with the plugs, be it OE, Eurocharged, DME, or Dinan’a piggyback. You would think that if it’s a physical issue with plug gap and boost pressure, that every tune option would face this, or is there a difference in how JB4 works that needs this extra step while the others do not?

On the JB4 mobile log CSV file, is ECU PSI what the car is “asking for” or what it “thinks it sees”? I was under the impression it was the former, which then has me confused about the 15+ psi. That wouldn’t be what it was “asking for” if it was a spike caused by throttle closure. I would understand if it is what it “thinks it sees”...so maybe I have been misunderstanding that metric. My point/question being, if the car is really asking for 15, Map 2 will bump that to 20 which is not a great idea on 93 octane and I can imagine it would knock. However, if it’s what the car thinks it sees, then I can buy that it was a boost spike of 15 that was really 20. Make sense? Sorry, trying to ask the best way I can.
(#236)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 09-18-2019, 09:21 PM

From what I can tell, ECU PSI is what the ECU is requesting and thinks it sees. TARGET is the psi of boost the JB4 is adding to the ECU PSI, or in other words the amt its fooling the ECU to allow on top of factory boost. BOOST field is the actual boost the motor is seeing. BOOST should be roughly the sum of ECU PSI and TARGET.

As far as gapping the plugs, it is quite common on pretty much any vehicle that the factory plugs are not spec'ed to handle a 100 plus more horse power then stock. Every car I've modified , from turbo 4 cyls to LSX motors, has needed tighter gapped and/or colder plugs at some point. Especially boosted engines. It could be that the other Flash toons do run into this and you may simply not have happened to hear about it because no other tuning vendor is open enough to run their product support on an open forum like BMS. Or perhaps many toons are not making quite the power to need tighter plugs. Just speculating.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold

Last edited by LessIsMore; 09-18-2019 at 09:33 PM..
(#237)
Old

Default 09-19-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
From what I can tell, ECU PSI is what the ECU is requesting and thinks it sees. TARGET is the psi of boost the JB4 is adding to the ECU PSI, or in other words the amt its fooling the ECU to allow on top of factory boost. BOOST field is the actual boost the motor is seeing. BOOST should be roughly the sum of ECU PSI and TARGET.

As far as gapping the plugs, it is quite common on pretty much any vehicle that the factory plugs are not spec'ed to handle a 100 plus more horse power then stock. Every car I've modified , from turbo 4 cyls to LSX motors, has needed tighter gapped and/or colder plugs at some point. Especially boosted engines. It could be that the other Flash toons do run into this and you may simply not have happened to hear about it because no other tuning vendor is open enough to run their product support on an open forum like BMS. Or perhaps many toons are not making quite the power to need tighter plugs. Just speculating.
Thanks.

Yeah I’m just trying to better understand why ECU PSI would be 15. Seems oddly high, unless it wasn’t an “ask” and it was a spike like Terry said.

Just FYI, speaking to DME, Renntech and others, they all say OEM plugs with factory gap for a plug and play tune that doesn’t get into new turbos, etc.
(#238)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Map 2 logs attached. I noticed some quick drop in power/stutter, 2-3 times as I was doing the pull, so not sure if it was knocking or spark blowout/misfire. This was on 3.5 gallons of E85 mixed in with 91, or 1.2 gallons of E85 for every 4.8 gallons of 91 since that's how I mix it in my 5 gallon VP jugs (actually hold 6 gallons)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-22 08_30_44_Map-2.csv (6.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-22 08_33_05_Map-2.csv (5.8 KB, 10 views)
(#239)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongl
Map 2 logs attached. I noticed some quick drop in power/stutter, 2-3 times as I was doing the pull, so not sure if it was knocking or spark blowout/misfire. This was on 3.5 gallons of E85 mixed in with 91, or 1.2 gallons of E85 for every 4.8 gallons of 91 since that's how I mix it in my 5 gallon VP jugs (actually hold 6 gallons)
Quite the theme here. Had a bad stutter on map 1 yesterday AFTER a pull and then highway cruising at light throttle. So no excuse for blow out. New plugs on the way but it’s ridiculous at 24k miles.
(#240)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
More power = more cylinder pressure = tighter plug gap required. If you have misfire codes start by tightening up the plug gap.

Burger Motorsports

(#241)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The boost by gear is technically boost by speed currently, so you're riding your "2nd gear" boost limit for part of the pull.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#242)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The boost by gear is technically boost by speed currently, so you're riding your "2nd gear" boost limit for part of the pull.
Ahh...ok. Will it eventually be true by gear? Could calculate based on speed and RPM

Do I need to make any adjustments? The AFR seemed to spike along with the trims? Just worried I'm running a bit lean and pinging

Last edited by chongl; 09-22-2019 at 04:50 PM..
(#243)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-22-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Ahh...ok. Will it eventually be true by gear? Could calculate based on speed and RPM

Do I need to make any adjustments? The AFR seemed to spike along with the trims? Just worried I'm running a bit lean and pinging
Yes we're looking for the logging PID for gear and will switch over when we find it.

AFR and timing advance looked OK in the log I saw.

Burger Motorsports

(#244)
Old

Default 09-25-2019, 05:01 AM

Not a critical point, just thought it was interesting...I noticed on the AMG Engine Dynamics screen, I was never able to show above 485 hp with either map 1 or map 2 activated. However, as soon as I switch back to map 0, it will hit 503-504.

Again I realize it’s not a real pocket dyno, but rather an algorithm. Just curious what the car would “think” that it displays 20 less hp when a map is active.
(#245)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 09-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Not a critical point, just thought it was interesting...I noticed on the AMG Engine Dynamics screen, I was never able to show above 485 hp with either map 1 or map 2 activated. However, as soon as I switch back to map 0, it will hit 503-504.

Again I realize it’s not a real pocket dyno, but rather an algorithm. Just curious what the car would “think” that it displays 20 less hp when a map is active.
Jb4 gave ECU less boost signal

2014 435I xdrive EWG , JB4, Meth kit(cm10), ER CP, ER ca tl ess **, Stock tubo
(#246)
Old

Car: E92 335i N54 DCT
Default 09-28-2019, 05:23 AM

My JB4 arrived earlier and I immediately got it hooked up. The thing's a beast!!! Really unlocked a lot of hidden power in the C63S. Kudos to Terry and team for the great work and prompt delivery!

I'm however unable to log the car using my JB4 Bluetooth connect kit. The logs don't get saved. Am I doing something wrong?
(#247)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-29-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:

It's not even an algorithm. It's just a programmed static gauge. Completely worthless and has nothing to do with how much power you're making.

Burger Motorsports

(#248)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-01-2019, 07:02 PM

Terry,
Looking forward to future JB4 enhancements. what is ETA for next W205 C63 JB4 firmware version, and what changes are in the works? Will it include safety features? ie. AFR limits, low FP limits, etc.

Thanks!

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#249)
Old

Car: E92 335i N54 DCT
Default 10-03-2019, 06:08 AM

Has anyone encountered no boost pressure increase after fitting in JB4? Logs show boost pressure at only 15psi to 16psi no matter what map I use...
(#250)
Old

Default 10-03-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermanlo
Has anyone encountered no boost pressure increase after fitting in JB4? Logs show boost pressure at only 15psi to 16psi no matter what map I use...
Also on map 0? 16 is very high for no tune.