N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 340i
Default 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM

People need to see things from the companies point of view. Something's aren't worth gambling with. They already had issues in the past with EPA. In the end of the day it's how these guys make a living and they aren't gonna give that up just to include race use only settings.
(#27)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW35
I think only VW can get away with it! LOL
Honestly, that's probably a major reason why things are getting worse. It only takes one ******* to mess things up for all of us.

Maybe Trump will save us and abolish the EPA?

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#28)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Honestly, that's probably a major reason why things are getting worse. It only takes one ******* to mess things up for all of us.

Maybe Trump will save us and abolish the EPA?
Its not the EPA thats the problem. It was always 49 state "legal" with the EPA. The problem is CARB.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#29)
Old
Legend

Default 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Its not the EPA thats the problem. It was always 49 state "legal" with the EPA. The problem is CARB.
It's likely a combination of both. I'm taking Terry at his word.

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#30)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM

The best solution is to simply only offer 50-state legal products within the USA. Those offering race use only parts that do not meet 1A standards should be concerned with the gray areas in the law, but more and more states now also only accept CARB certified (50-state) products. It's an expensive and time consuming process but worth the effort.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#31)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM

Will you be changing your backend flashes to reflect a similar process? Will those begin requiring photo proof and all?

335i LMB E92 6MT MSport Logic7
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM

The BEF maps posted are simply templates for reference. But I do expect companies providing flashing tools to take more aggressive compliance steps in the future.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#33)
Old

Car: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Default 06-28-2017, 09:07 PM

Oh, and one question I had and forgot to ask.
(#34)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-28-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke
Oh, and one question I had and forgot to ask.
Not going to get in to a detailed discussion of the issue on the forums. If you have a specific question about the appropriate use of a product purchased from us feel free to email for clarification.

Burger Motorsports

(#35)
Old

Car: 335 cpe
Default 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM

So will we be able to still delete the codes if they come up, like at the end of our leases prior to taking the JB4 out of the car?

Is there going to be a way to erase the codes? Or can it be done by contacting BMS at the end of our use of the JB4 to take care of clearing the codes?

This was one of the only reasons I put the JB4 on my car, because of the ability to clear the codes.

Also it can't be a 50 state certification thing, because APR (Audi, VW, Porsche tuners) have a code reset and they are 50 state legal. I had their software on my S4 I owned before I got the new 340xi.

Let us know what we are in for here.
Thanks Terry.
(#36)
Old
Legend

Default 07-01-2017, 12:13 PM

I can still clear codes on the newest firmware. It's my understanding that it's only the "auto clear" function that has been disabled.

Keep in mind, code readers and clearing tools have been available for decades now. There is no way to fully defeat an illegal exhaust modification with only a manual code clear. So I wouldn't be worried.

(#37)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-01-2017, 03:20 PM

You can read and clear fault codes as often as you'd like.

Burger Motorsports

(#38)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 07-01-2017, 04:54 PM

If I understand it correctly for USA it will be not clearing or supporting clearing of codes that has anything to do with emission specific codes, override or hide of 3" if it's not race only specified and declared race only car. Otherwise all remains as is. So its simple and straight forward that BMS dont want to be liable of offering emission manipulation stuff to street legal cars

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#39)
Old

Car: BMW 340i FBO WMI
Default 07-01-2017, 10:16 PM

Can we avoid many of these unwanted changes by staying at firmware 7 and not updating?
(#40)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 07-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M inluv340
Can we avoid many of these unwanted changes by staying at firmware 7 and not updating?
I believe it was stated old firmware would be obsolete and automatically stop working w/o an update.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#41)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-02-2017, 07:52 PM

Looks like I missed a line of code on the B58 firmware. Download and try again!

Burger Motorsports

(#42)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM

So no more in dash clearing codes on the fly?
(#43)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-02-2017, 08:07 PM

You can still clear codes in dash.

Burger Motorsports

(#44)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 07-03-2017, 05:39 AM

It should be noted that just because BMS has to be "in compliance" doesn't mean you, as the owner of a JB4 and your BMW have to be.

Single Turbo Z4 that's constantly broken
(#45)
Old

Car: BMW 340i
Default 07-03-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Looks like I missed a line of code on the B58 firmware. Download and try again!
thank you.
(#46)
Old

Car: V10M5 & turbo stuff
Default 07-07-2017, 06:19 PM

How does it check what state/country your in? by GPS location or Network/IP address?

www.themalibumafia.com
Instagram - @MalibuMV
2006 BMW M5 - REALLY LOUD
2007 BMW 335i - Single Turbo 6266
(#47)
Old

Car: 2011 535i M-Sport
Default 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV
How does it check what state/country your in? by GPS location or Network/IP address?
Probably by vin?

2011 535i M-Sport - JB4 w/BEF, FMIC, Chargepipe, BMS Intake, "Test pipe", Megan Supremo Exhaust
(#48)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Different redundant methods are used for country and we'll continue to improve and implement stronger measures as required. We're checking for country only, not by state. Most states now require 50-state status and EPA also has its own requirements we need to meet.

In the grand scheme of things it's a relatively minor change. You guys will get used to it.

Burger Motorsports

(#49)
Old

Car: V10M5 & turbo stuff
Default 07-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neejay
Probably by vin?
Wouldn't work by VIN. Since you can ship a car anywhere. Cant be by MAC address either because you can bring the device anywhere. Has to be either IP address or GPS location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Different redundant methods are used for country and we'll continue to improve and implement stronger measures as required. We're checking for country only, not by state. Most states now require 50-state status and EPA also has its own requirements we need to meet.

In the grand scheme of things it's a relatively minor change. You guys will get used to it.
So which is it?

www.themalibumafia.com
Instagram - @MalibuMV
2006 BMW M5 - REALLY LOUD
2007 BMW 335i - Single Turbo 6266
(#50)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi E90
Default 07-10-2017, 06:24 PM

I'm in Canada and auto-clear doesn't work anymore! How can I change it back to a working status since I'm not limited by the Trump nation?

BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 with OBDII connector
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips and custom D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag detection