N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Default headlight options for 08 335i HID's - 09-13-2018, 03:18 AM

So I have a pre-LCI 335i and gonna get the Lux angel eyes, but in the meantime, my headlights are really fogged up and did everything on youtube to fix them and nothing worked, so eventually gonna have to get some new headlight housings. I have the Xenon HID's, so what are some good aftermarket options out there for some new headlights to go with for me?

thanks in advance,
Scott
(#2)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 09-13-2018, 04:57 AM

If you've already messed with them and don't mind spending $20 and a few more hours of your time try using the Sylvania kit.

My E60 headlights were starting to get a little hazy and very pitted but at $750 per side because of the active HID's I wanted to try to refurb them first. I practiced on my fog lights and I got the best results from first wet sanding through a bunch of different ranges (They have sanding packs on Amazon for like $12) and then doing the kit from scratch following the directions exactly.

The headlights will look like crap and more hazy until you put the UV clearcoat on and also the coating goes on VERY wavy but just get a nice thick coating and leave it alone and it will self level and looks perfect when done.

I did mine in March since I had the bumper off for a bunch of maintenance and the headlights still look perfectly clear currently.

Not the best picture but all that I have handy.

(#3)
Old

Default 09-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
If you've already messed with them and don't mind spending $20 and a few more hours of your time try using the Sylvania kit.

My E60 headlights were starting to get a little hazy and very pitted but at $750 per side because of the active HID's I wanted to try to refurb them first. I practiced on my fog lights and I got the best results from first wet sanding through a bunch of different ranges (They have sanding packs on Amazon for like $12) and then doing the kit from scratch following the directions exactly.

The headlights will look like crap and more hazy until you put the UV clearcoat on and also the coating goes on VERY wavy but just get a nice thick coating and leave it alone and it will self level and looks perfect when done.

I did mine in March since I had the bumper off for a bunch of maintenance and the headlights still look perfectly clear currently.

Not the best picture but all that I have handy.

So after doing that, I went back and looked at the video and it looks like I have clear coat built up on my headlights, that's why it didn't work, so gonna try this this weekend and let u know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKLF8oIWYGg&t=742s

08' 335i Sedan. BMS DCI, JB+, BMS COWLS
(#4)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 09-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho89mtx
So I have a pre-LCI 335i and gonna get the Lux angel eyes, but in the meantime, my headlights are really fogged up and did everything on youtube to fix them and nothing worked, so eventually gonna have to get some new headlight housings. I have the Xenon HID's, so what are some good aftermarket options out there for some new headlights to go with for me?

thanks in advance,
Scott
I would suggest NOT going with aftermarket headlights the quality and output is usually crap.

The lenses on the E92 headlights can be swapped which will make the headlights look brand new. I have experience working on headlights and can assist if you want. Feel free to PM me.

Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#5)
Old

Default 09-14-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
I would suggest NOT going with aftermarket headlights the quality and output is usually crap.

The lenses on the E92 headlights can be swapped which will make the headlights look brand new. I have experience working on headlights and can assist if you want. Feel free to PM me.

Evan
e92's(coupes)have different headlights than the e90(sedan)?

I'm gonna try the clearcoat wetsanding and polish this weekend, but if it doesn't, this is a good option

08' 335i Sedan. BMS DCI, JB+, BMS COWLS
(#6)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 09-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho89mtx
e92's(coupes)have different headlights than the e90(sedan)?

I'm gonna try the clearcoat wetsanding and polish this weekend, but if it doesn't, this is a good option
You didn't specify so I assume E92, sorry.

Lens swap is possible on E90s as well but it is a more labor intensive process.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC