N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default Oil collecting at CP & TB *video* - 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM

The video pretty much explains it.

I have rb oem upgraded turbos with about 8k on them. There was a small amount of oil on the hot side coupler.

I have no codes, misfires, or any issues at any time. I do have what appears to be a touch of smoke from the exhaust, but I am sure it is mostly condensation as it evaporates quickly.

I also have a quick stumble on cold starts that only lasts about 30 seconds. Wish I would have bought injectors before the prices jumped to $1600 for index 12(fcpeuro).

Anyways...on to the video. Thank you for your help.

(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-16-2018, 12:35 PM

Our bone stock and pampered 335 had similar charge pipe/intercooler oil buildup at 30k miles. Not uncommon for any N54 car that is driven, mostly it is attributed to oil vapors that make it out the valve cover ventilation port and into the rear turbos inlet. Alternative to this is that turbos can and do seep minor amounts of oil, even new, it is not atypical but it should be a very small amount over actual mileage- meaning your consumption should be very reasonable if everything is healthy.

The stumbling is probably your injectors flaking out, could be the cause of the vapor like smoke as well. Crazy the price bumped to $1,200 for the set, they were about $800 a month ago...
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgJ13vD_BwE

All in all you really want to mostly concern yourself with oil consumption rates, if you are losing serious amounts of oil in low amounts of miles then you should be more quick to raise the eye brows (ie. 1 qt or worse per 1,000 miles). Even if you are losing oil you also want to make sure it is not some external leakage (ie. oil pan, valve cover, oil cooler thermostat housing, etc etc), as obviously that can be a large factor as well in "consumption" rates. Also make sure you are changing your oil at reasonable intervals (ie. every 3-5k miles), especially if you run the car hard.

PS: The RB OEM Turbos are not really "upgraded" per se; but they do have better internal bearings.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-16-2018 at 12:47 PM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM

I agree with what has been said about the oil. I've been FBO for 10k's of miles at this point. I get a lot of oil in my catch can too. It's almost filled up after a year . But I do drive it hard. Pooling like that, I have no seen at least on my car. I would personally think it's attributed to a bigger issue. And I got the FCP injectors 800 with shipping and tax. Now that they are at 1200, it makes oem look appealing again.. though I think FCP has their "life time warranty" dont know anyone who has used that warranty, but Id like to think I can if/when I have problems.

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#4)
Old

Default 04-16-2018, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. My engine does not consume very much oil at all. Maybe a half quart between oil changes at 5k miles.

My high side catch can has never caught oil. This will probably change once my car is a manual. Lol I actually have never brought my engine to redline let alone have gone WOT. Shhhhh

Low side ALWAYS has to be emptied, but is more condensation than anything.
(#5)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-21-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreimer10

I also have a quick stumble on cold starts that only lasts about 30 seconds. Wish I would have bought injectors before the prices jumped to $1600 for index 12(fcpeuro).
Check these guys out they offer lifetime replacement also

http://znmperformance.com/bmw-fuel-i...38648937ktznm/

07 E90 AT 335I 130k
JB4 G5 - Race BEF
DCI
VRSF CP - TS RP BOV-Orange Spring
VRSF V2 D-P's
7" FMIC
Stage 2 Bucket
(#6)
Old

Default 04-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Crazy the price bumped to $1,200 for the set, they were about $800 a month ago...
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgJ13vD_BwE

Thanks,
Rob
So much for them being $1200. hahahaha

I wonder the FCP Euro injector index will close out at this week? Think we can hit $1600. lol

(#7)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreimer10
So much for them being $1200. hahahaha

I wonder the FCP Euro injector index will close out at this week? Think we can hit $1600. lol

So weird how their prices swing so radically from day to day...

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#8)
Old

Default 09-07-2018, 04:30 PM

I cleaned the hoses and reaped the threads and empty very often. I have not had and oil on my motor mount, I am going to pull my charge pipe tonight and see if there is any oil pooling.

Going to order index 12s soon and n55 PR kit.
(#9)
Old

Default 09-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Went out and checked my charge pipe today & not much concern. There is a small bit of pooling as seen in the picture. But nothing of concern. I attribute this to vapors that eventually made it through the intakes and or catch can, or "seepage" from the intake manifold, . I do not have my head ports tapped yet. I also need a new o-ring for my charge pipe.

I attribute the original post to my catch can not "catching" properly or possibly being too full to properly baffle the vapors. Anyways I empty my cans 2-3 times a month and all is well. Hope this helps.