N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M140i
Default B58 Throttle Closure Logs - 02-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Please could I get some advice on my logs.

Map 2 isn't too bad, but if I could find a way to make it even smoother, great. Tends to just close the throttle once when max boost is reached but cant feel anything in the car.

Map 3 is ridiculous, I can feel the jerking and hear the blow off ever 2 seconds.Trims are very high, could that be the cause?

Sorry neither log is up to red line, map 3 run was abandoned it was that bad.

Car is an M140i with BMS Intake, Jb4 & de-*** down pipe, 99 octane fuel.

Im pretty sure all my JB4 settings are default, I have never changed them.
I'm tempted to buy the additional ewg & fuel harness as I read that it could help with throttle closures but not sure that my case is the right application.
Attached Files
File Type: csv map 2.csv (9.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: csv map 3.csv (10.7 KB, 30 views)
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 02-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Your settings seem fine. Personally, I enable logging all cylinders and lower the boost safety to something that would actually work on the B58. Don't know why it still defaults to 26 PSI on a B58.

Your CLDP is probably causing part of the issue, where EWG wires would help. You would then adjust FUA to smooth it out.

The other problem is likely just too much boost for the cold weather and setup. FF wires can help (don't let people tell you they don't). The other option is to stick with less boost.

AFR is extremely lean, which is typical on the B58. MPPSK can help address that, but that costs a bunch of $$$$.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#3)
Old

Default 02-24-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the response Bullit, just a couple of questions that I hope you could help with.
So I am going to order the EWG harness, I'm assuming the FUA you refer to is the "Future Use A" setting, can you point me in the direction of where to start with this variable or a link to some info on it, I have no idea what it does, it's set to 0 as standard so would I change to 1 and log again?
If I'm still having no luck running higher boost with the EWG harness I may then decide to get the FF harness as well. Or would I be best just getting both from the start, assuming theres no problem running one without the other?
I was under the impression I had the MPPSK from factory with it being an M140i?
Again, I appreciate any info you can give me.
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM

FUA details can be found here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31429

Firmware:

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_8:

1) Adjusted map numbering per above!
2) Removed intake temperature signal adjustment from map1. Option is now available for map6 or map7 using the 6cyl timing field. 0 disables it, value of 10 increases IAT sensor readings lowering timing, value of 70 decreases IAT sensor readings increasing timing. Adjustment active on maps 6 and 7 only. Experimental feature.
3) Adjusted additive maps so they can be used without OBDII cable

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_7:

1) Added CANflap operation to allow control of the factory exhaust flapper from the drivers seat. Press the BC button for a second to change modes. Left arrow is flapper open full time, right arrow flapper in OEM operation which is generally closed unless at full throttle.
2) Internal CANbus changes to improve speed and operation.
3) Groundwork for virtual flex fuel sensor added. See E85 FAQ below.
4) Wastegate dutycycle offset for cars with modified exhaust that experience excessive throttle closure. When equipped with an EWG connector on the JB4 harness FutureUseA can be used to apply a static negative offset. Generally a value of 30 is a good starting point.

I wish the JB4 came with both FF and EWG wires from the start. If you are going to add one, it's a lot less work to do the other at the same time. There is absolutely no drawback to installing either and not "activating them" with a modified FUA and/or FOL value. With the FOL wires installed, you can at least log more parameters than before.

I'm not super familiar with the M_40i models, but I don't think they are exactly the same as a "regular" _40i car with MPPSK added on top. It would make sense if BMW uses the same or similar tune, though.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#5)
Old

Default 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Great, I will get both wires ordered and see what my logs look like.
Also just came across the following thread by yourself that looks to have some useful info in terms of settings.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47581

Apologise if this is a stupid question but am I right in thinking both EWG & FF harnesses splice into my standard JB4 harness. I don't have to splice/cut any factory BMW wires? Surely not but best to ask before I order them.

M140i - JB4, BMS Intake & JB4 Shop Down Pipe
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-24-2018, 05:20 PM

I just updated that thread to match my current settings. Keep in mind I am mixing 91 octane with E85 to get ~E25, plus I have slightly more head room with MPPSK.

For the EWG and FF wires, they literally come as bare pins connected to the wiring harness that need to be carefully slid into the main JB4 connector. Not very fun, even if you've done it before. You can easily bend/break the pins if you aren't careful. Just don't insert them into the wrong pin positions or you'll have a really hard time getting them back out, even with a depinning tool.